Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 07:57 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,438,254 times

Advertisements

Too bad she was tased but she should have kept her mouth shut and took the ticket. I found her to be annoying. She provoked it. Tasering is a bad thing at times, but it could have been avoided if she wasn't so confrontational. Sorry Grandma, but you did have a BAD attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Too bad she was tased but she should have kept her mouth shut and took the ticket. I found her to be annoying. She provoked it. Tasering is a bad thing at times, but it could have been avoided if she wasn't so confrontational. Sorry Grandma, but you did have a BAD attitude.
Well, you know, with all due affection, ... some people here might find you to be annoying, and provocative, and confrontational, BUT! I AM ADAMANTLY OPPOSED TO TASERING YOU for any and all of those things, regardless of how BAD an attitude you might have.

And I'd miss your participation there too if something were to happen to you.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:04 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,775,447 times
Wow - just watched the youtube. Thank God, he did not kill her, tasering old people is a very risky proposition. Sure, she was an unpleasant old bag, but that is not a criminal offense. What an arrogant, idiot cop!! If you cannot manage a 4 foot 11 old lady dropping f bombs on you without resorting to potentially lethal force - good thing she's tough - you have no business working in law enforcement. Fire him now, before he costs us, the tax-payers of Travis county, more millions in lawsuit fees. I will take the side of a foul-mouthed old lady against an incompetent, brutal buffoon of a cop any day. She's no angel, but he is a disgrace to his profession. What do county constable deputies earn? Is this a case of paying peanuts and getting monkeys?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,441,384 times
I repeat. If the officer had not tasered the obstreperous grandma but had, instead, manhandled her in exactly the way that many here are advocating, I'd be willing to bet good money that those very same people would be complaining about the way he handled the situation. Simply because he's a police officer and that's their particular prejudice (prejudice is pretty easy to see, even if it's not one of the politically incorrect ones these days).

Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 PM

He did not need to do anything. Simply note her refusal to sign the ticket - call in her license plate - and have a warrant for her arrest issued - instead of risking killing her on the side of a busy public highway, but his manly pride was at stake. Sure, she should have been more compliant, but he is a professional public servant. Fire his dumb ass now!!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM

P.S. The only prejudice I have against police officers is that they are trained professionals entrusted with protecting all of us, and therefore i think need to be held up to a higher standard than ordinary citizens. She was no threat to him. He initiated physical contact and his kind of behavior gives all the good police officers - and I am grateful to them - for the difficult job they have to do - a bad name.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,441,384 times
You do realize that most people who hold a prejudice will deny it - even to themselves - rather than acknowledge it?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 PM

38 posts, read 57,647 times
I cannot help but feel sorry for the 72 year old lady. We do not know if she suffered from something that caused her to get up set over the ticket, maybe the police officer was unkind to her in some thing he said or did that set her off.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:43 PM

468 posts, read 1,221,164 times
Do officers carry pepper spray? Would they use that in a situation like this instead? Why or why not?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,714,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I repeat. If the officer had not tasered the obstreperous grandma but had, instead, manhandled her in exactly the way that many here are advocating, I'd be willing to bet good money that those very same people would be complaining about the way he handled the situation. Simply because he's a police officer and that's their particular prejudice (prejudice is pretty easy to see, even if it's not one of the politically incorrect ones these days).
I feel exactly the same way. My husband was just flipping channels and the st
ory was on O 'Reilly. He said as much himself, that if the cop had used any kind of move that put the woman on the ground, or had she gotten a shoulder, hip or arm broken, which is definitely the other possibility, this cop would still be villified. He was in a lose-lose situation no matter what choice he'd made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin