Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
WOW...I leave for the evening and come back to discover so many interesting posts on this thread.

Actually, I kinda gotta weigh in with Flower Pots (aka Old Toilets)...his posts always add another dimension to discussions and let's face it, our forum is all the more interesting because the posters here add different flavors, colors (you get my drift).
It's early hours of the morning, so I think I am reverting to some of my kiwi ways in self-expression. I'm hoping I haven't lost anyone along the way

Flower Pots...I take it you are a keen gardener? Do you have any photos of old toilets being used as flower pots? I'd love to see one. My mother 'n law added white rocks as a border to her very green foliaged garden and the white really contrasted with the greens to draw the eye to the garden shrubs, so I'm thinking, the white exterior of the toilet would make for a stand out feature against strong greens and a splash of color - like geranium bursting forth.

InTheCut - still waiting for those pics you promised...hoping the g/f didn't get attacked by any of those nasties in your dungeon whilst embarking upon the photo journalling of you for our benefit.

Twange - Pretty certain you are not the suicidal type (even if there was any smidgen of a possibility, you're well-connected to us now...hahaha, there's no escape). One of the joys of the printed word and photo, you can reread/review endlessly if you need to.

OhiotoTexas - your face is very familiar to me (great pic BTW). May have been a teacher workshop? Anywayz, it's definitely a treat to see more people's pics.
I actually had a post back when about converting toilets and the tops as well into garden scenery.....Per some folks not with the program....you will never get/have 100% of the people happy on any subject..even one as innocuous as posting pics......and that's just life.......no matter what we do or say, someone out there will not like it/you.....so best thing is to expect that, and let the person have their say, invite them to join, and say/do what they need to say....Does that mean I/we have to agree with them or get mad? Hardly......just one voice amonst many in the wilderness is all, no more or less than ours.....

BTW, we might be nearing the end of interest in this, and all I can say is I got more enjoyment from seeing what the regulars look like on here than any topic/post ever.....it was really beautiful to, at least for a moment, approximate a real table chat, where we would be sitting together laughing and having a few drinks somewhere.....I know we will go back to handles and typeface again, but I sure enjoyed this, and will feel closer to everyone in the future beacuse of it......

Thank you very much, everyone, for having the courage to post your pics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'll take that as a compliment.

And you, sir ITC, look much different than I imagined. I pictured an overweight bearded computer nerd in his 50s with glasses and a plaid sport shirt with pocket protector. The type one might procure from Central Casting for a movie part where the slightly quirky but very smart Mountain Dew swilling geek hacks into the mainframe to save the world from doom.

Instead you present as a dashing, fit everyman who probably stands ready to aid and assist strangers in need, especially damsels in distress. At least that's my take on your pic.

Steve
LOL! Perhaps I should have posted Dudley Dooright as my avatar! Actually, you are right! One of the first memories I have was breaking up a fight where two kids were picking on a younger one, so that's a little scary how you picked up on that......

Now excuse me while I find Snidley Whiplash! LOL!.....

BTW, I really did think you looked cool in the DL pic.....

Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Austin-Steve kudos to you.
IMHO that has to be the most entertaining post I've read from you (forgive me but my history with this board only goes back a few weeks, so you can correct me if there's been others that would blow your last post out of the water)
I liken you to a vine that creeps up and before you know it, has embedded itself permanently in the landscape. Many twists and turns as it spreads its tendrils.
My God, S, someone who writes beautifully........such a neat alliteration...can almost see it happening the way you write that!......now try connecting that analogy to selling real estate!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
CATXTransplant...I can empathesize with you - it's not a wrongdoing unless you're aware of it at the outset. And that's next to impossible to know in this setting. Regardless of this being an online gathering of people and their ideas - everyone has a personal bubble which needs to be respected. It's a little difficult to gauge the prefered distance (level/closeness) that each person sets - so, it's inevitable that from time to time someone's toes get trod on (metaphorically speaking).

I'm with InTheCut on his intent for this thread, there's nothing sinister or shady about it. Human beings when given the option to live in the dark or the light predominantly choose the light - that's what it seems to me to be the intent, to shed some light on who it is we are interacting with on a regular basis. I can't imagine meeting someone face to face and there not being some sort of exchange so why should it be any different here?...Everyone is at liberty to share or withhold as they so choose. There's also plenty of voyeurs, who never post but read everything. They remain anonymous through choice - you could of course speculate why but this is not a witchhunt!
Think Plato's Cave analogy......so true...and we are created to laugh, connect, love, and reach out...so, of course, most will choose the more meaningful/complete connection if given the same.......

Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Agreed. It's important to respect others boundaries. While it is interesting to compare real images with preconceived ones, I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone for not playing. Sort of goes against the ethos of the thread: a good will attempt to create a more trusting virtual relationship by investing a layer of personal info.
Don't forget as well, that that respect works both ways as well....and it is hard to convey little nuances of communication on here, which usually get misunderstood...they say 85% of communication is tone of voice and body language.....I can go on, but the closer you get to that 85%, even such a small step as pics, is a step in the right direction.....

Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,073 times
inthecut, you look just like a thought you would. Don't know why...maybe your youth came through in the posts I read.

Has anyone watched "Dating in the Dark"? It says a lot about how we "see" people when we only get clues from talking to them, seeing their shirt, going through their purse or wallet. Pretty interesting.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Yall are all such lovely people some not what I pictured at all! Male vs female thing..don't have a photo to post as the Mr. redid the computer tower and as of right now I have no access to it but its nice to see all yall.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I'd post a pic of me riding my bike through Circle C in my thong but I figure TW would yank it. So this will have to satisfy you...
Please tell me this is real. Love the badass Guitar Hero axes - I bet you shred up that game.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:30 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
I'm going the Austin Steve route and using an old Driver's license photo that doesn't look much like me anymore (I too have a new hair style- one that includes more gray).
Attached Thumbnails
Any regular posters on the Austin forum want to share what they look like?-jbc94.jpg  

Old 08-06-2009, 03:45 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
OK I have to admit, I was a little skeptical when I first read this thread. I post on a couple of forums where we have gotten to know each other online and IRL and it's been amazing. But somehow, it feels better to be more anonymous on this forum. That said, I love seeing the pictures of everyone and I find it really amusing when I figure out I assumed someone's gender as different than what they really are. I always worry when I'm posting on a local forum that I'll find out one of the posters is my boss or the IT guy, LOL. So far I'm safe so I'll go look for a picture I won't be too embarrassed to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin