Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM

30 posts, read 72,713 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been on a couple of forums with a desire to M.O.V.E. away from my hometown. I am a single AA Mom with a middle & high schooler. We live in a diverse neighborhood, but my children attend suburban schools (predominately white) with "high" rankings. My daughter is interested in modeling/acting and my son plays football and is in gifted classes.

I am tired of living in a city that has high crime (we've had our 1st murder in 2010 already!) narrow-mindedness, and lack of activities for my children. The unemployment rate here is very high and the depression is catching. I'm an optimist who loves life so this is not the place I want to be anymore.

As mentioned above, I don't know EXACTLY where I want to reside, but good schools (with parent/teacher communication, high acedemics), diversity, activities for children, and shopping malls is a must. Our city may lack in jobs, amenities/activities, but we have a lot of grocery stores, shopping centers, and restaurants! It would also be nice to go to a nice comedy/jazz club every now and again. What may be enjoyable and livable for some, may be the opposite for others, so I welcome the pros & cons of the cities & will understand if some advice/opinions are bias.

We are also christians (COGIC) so a good church is a plus as well. I am seeking a 3-bed to rent in the $750-800 range if that helps.

I've been on the Triangle, Indy, & Pittsburgh forums and I got the most advice/opinions from the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area. (Thanks!)

I want to hear from the Texans about the Austin/Round Rock area. It will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
If you are comfortable living in predominantly white neighborhoods you might be happy in the Austin area. Most of the "better" schools and school districts (Eanes ISD, Round Rock, Leander, Lake Travis) are under-represented by AA. It is simply a demographic issue because the school districts are located in areas where not may AAs live. But that does not mean the areas and schools are all white and intolerant. Austin has many Hispanics and Asians.

The people here are friendly, our crime (especially violent crime) is very low, and living costs are low (on a national comparison).

I am a bit worried though that you would have a hard time finding a 3BR rental for $800 in the school districts listed above.

Unless you need Nieman Marcus, we should have all the shopping you need. Austin is loaded with live music (though not much jazz). Some people criticize Austin for TOO many churches.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:56 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,077 times
Austin has too many churches? I see you haven't lived in the Bible Belt!

To the OP, I think you would enjoy Austin a lot but I'm afraid also that finding a three bedroom rental in that price range would be pretty difficult. Property taxes are very high here so rents tend to be high as well.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If you are comfortable living in predominantly white neighborhoods you might be happy in the Austin area. Most of the "better" schools and school districts (Eanes ISD, Round Rock, Leander, Lake Travis) are under-represented by AA. It is simply a demographic issue because the school districts are located in areas where not may AAs live. But that does not mean the areas and schools are all white and intolerant. Austin has many Hispanics and Asians.
You need to take a closer look at the stats. Laurel mountain is around 44% asian and canyon creek elementary is around 30% asian, spicewood elementary has 28% asians.

They feed into Canyon vista middle school which is over 30% asian.

Then westwood is around 20% asian.

You cant look at the school district as a whole. Also, when people say round rock schools are good, they really mean westwood and a few select middle schools and elementary schools that feed into it.

Round rock overall is 10% asian but they are concentrated in fewer schools. For example round rock high has 4% asians.

Westlake has about 10% asians, lake travis has 2.5% asians, leander high and vista ridge (cedar park/leander) are 2.5%

Finally the round rock ISD schools that are in the best chain are actually located in Austin

Old 01-03-2010, 01:42 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
If you are comfortable living in predominantly white neighborhoods you might be happy in the Austin area. Most of the "better" schools and school districts (Eanes ISD, Round Rock, Leander, Lake Travis) are under-represented by AA. It is simply a demographic issue because the school districts are located in areas where not may AAs live. .

Hi I guess I read AA as asian american, but I think you read it as african american. I guess you are probably right.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Wow..I saw AA and thought Alcoholics Anonymous. So sorry..my bad.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:03 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Hi I guess I read AA as asian american, but I think you read it as african american. I guess you are probably right.
I did mean African American - that is how I interpreted the original post.

Lots of Asians throughout the Austin area and I am not surprised by the data you listed.

If you notice - no one ever asks "I am Asian American - will I be comfortable in Austin?"

Old 01-04-2010, 04:59 PM

30 posts, read 72,713 times
[quote=hoffdano;12275696]If you are comfortable living in predominantly white neighborhoods you might be happy in the Austin area. Most of the "better" schools and school districts (Eanes ISD, Round Rock, Leander, Lake Travis) are under-represented by AA. It is simply a demographic issue because the school districts are located in areas where not may AAs live. But that does not mean the areas and schools are all white and intolerant. Austin has many Hispanics and Asians.

Thank you for your honest reply. Where do most AAs live in your area? I am comfortable around any neighborhood, but I want my children to have a diverse environment. They already attend predominantly white schools, but the street we live on is very diverse. I know they are fine here, but I don't know if they'll be fine in another state with limited diversity? What is your demographics in the Austin/Round Rock area?

[quote=hoffdano;12275696]I am a bit worried though that you would have a hard time finding a 3BR rental for $800 in the school districts listed above.

Where can I find a rental for $800, but still have the amenities you mentioned?

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,715 times
You can find meetings for austin AAs here: Hill Country Intergroup - Hotline (512) 444-0071 good luck!

[quote=Nin Tai;12295675][quote=hoffdano;12275696]If you are comfortable living in predominantly white neighborhoods you might be happy in the Austin area. Most of the "better" schools and school districts (Eanes ISD, Round Rock, Leander, Lake Travis) are under-represented by AA. It is simply a demographic issue because the school districts are located in areas where not may AAs live. But that does not mean the areas and schools are all white and intolerant. Austin has many Hispanics and Asians.

Thank you for your honest reply. Where do most AAs live in your area? I am comfortable around any neighborhood, but I want my children to have a diverse environment. They already attend predominantly white schools, but the street we live on is very diverse. I know they are fine here, but I don't know if they'll be fine in another state with limited diversity? What is your demographics in the Austin/Round Rock area?

Quote:
I am a bit worried though that you would have a hard time finding a 3BR rental for $800 in the school districts listed above.

Where can I find a rental for $800, but still have the amenities you mentioned?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin