Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 11:39 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times

Advertisements

I've never understood the interest in watching a bunch of blokes act like seagulls fighting over a chip. But I guess it's a Victorian thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 11:46 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
hahah and I've never understood sticking your head ....

oh I can't its PG 13

Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
hahah and I've never understood sticking your head ....

oh I can't its PG 13
hehe

Old 10-10-2011, 01:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I think its the right time.

People living in Western Sydney are never, ever going to barrack for the swans. They won't travel across the city to the SCG.

The division of Sydney is a tad unique I suppose.

On a similar token, swans fans are less inclined to travel out to homebush to watch a game (hence the smaller crowds). Considering Western Sydney is bigger in population than Adelaide, I think its something that has to be done, whilst the AFL is flush with cash.

and I agree. Seeing a cricket oval with the goal posts at the ends, is rare in Sydney
It's not only wealthy eastern suburbs folk who are Swans fans. That's what you seem to be suggesting . Your first comment sounds a bit presumptious...it's not like they're travelling cross country, it's the same city, for goodness sake. Do you think Westies never go into Sydney CBD?

Like I said, with attendance for alot of Swans games, whether that be at the SCG or ANZ Stadium already lower than that you find for Eagles and Crows games and often lower than for Dockers games, for one team in a city of 4.5 million (alot of Swans fans are also former South Melbourne supporters who live in Melbourne), I think you need to see AFL grow in popularity in the Sydney area (especially at the grass roots level) before the Greater Western Sydney football club really thrives. My prediction is that they will be cellar dwellers for years to come. Even Port Adelaide, a second team in a city with a very strong football tradition, often fails to draw more than 20,000 fans to AAMI. It's supporter base is even poorer than Fremantle's. The majority of Sydneysiders aren't that interested in the Swans, while most West Aussies at least have an opinion on the Eagles or Dockers. It'll be interesting to see how GWS goes, I wish them luck but I would have preferred to see a Tasmanian side. But oh well.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I've never understood the interest in watching a bunch of blokes act like seagulls fighting over a chip. But I guess it's a Victorian thing.
Don't get me started on rugby...

But I do wish the Wallabies well against the All Blecks .

Old 10-10-2011, 02:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's not only wealthy eastern suburbs folk who are Swans fans. That's what you seem to be suggesting . Your first comment sounds a bit presumptious...it's not like they're travelling cross country, it's the same city, for goodness sake. Do you think Westies never go into Sydney CBD?

Like I said, with attendance for alot of Swans games, whether that be at the SCG or ANZ Stadium already lower than that you find for Eagles and Crows games and often lower than for Dockers games, for one team in a city of 4.5 million (alot of Swans fans are also former South Melbourne supporters who live in Melbourne), I think you need to see AFL grow in popularity in the Sydney area (especially at the grass roots level) before the Greater Western Sydney football club really thrives. My prediction is that they will be cellar dwellers for years to come. Even Port Adelaide, a second team in a city with a very strong football tradition, often fails to draw more than 20,000 fans to AAMI. It's supporter base is even poorer than Fremantle's. The majority of Sydneysiders aren't that interested in the Swans, while most West Aussies at least have an opinion on the Eagles or Dockers. It'll be interesting to see how GWS goes, I wish them luck but I would have preferred to see a Tasmanian side. But oh well.
Seems strange that a Tasmanian side does not exist in the AFL.
Tassie is big on it and has a whole state of over 1/2 million people to draw on.
As far as GWS goes, I personally think the Gold Coast was a more ambitious move - a 2nd Queensland side appeared over the top.
Possibly the number of Victorian retirees to the GC will keep it afloat.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Tassie is big on it and has a whole state of over 1/2 million people to draw on.
As far as GWS goes, I personally think the Gold Coast was a more ambitious move - a 2nd Queensland side appeared over the top.
Like I said before, Rules is surprisingly popular in the Gold Coast area, appreciably more than in Sydney (I don't know the origin for this, but it could have something to do with Victorian migration). They have a local league, the QAFL I think it's called, that draws crowds. While I think rugby is still dominant, the Gold Coast is like an island where Aussie Rules is somewhat popular in the middle of rugby heartland. In contrast, Western Sydney has never been remotely interested in Aussie Rules until there was minor interest in the Swans. Like you said earlier in the Riverina and much of Southwest NSW rules is the dominant code.

As usual, the AFL uses the excuse of not enough supporters in Tasmania or something like that but the main reason is a lack of funding. It's not lucrative enough. What's more, they'd also need to build a decent sized stadium in Hobart or Launceston to host regular home and away games. Some games are already scheduled there but places like York Park are basically like local ovals in terms of capacity.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Its not presumptious at all. I've been living here, attending games for the past 5 years... Its not like travelling to the MCG from the outer suburbs, nor Docklands. You don't just jump on a train that will take you straight there, coming from the outer Western Suburbs to the SCG would take at least 45 - 1 hr with the car. Then there is not that much parking

The divide in this city is not like in Melbourne, or possibly Perth. Most of the swans supporters are Eastern Suburbs, lower north shore & maybe inner west.

Its not that disimilar from Melbourne in a sense. I grew up in eastern suburbs, there is no way I was going to support Essendon. My parents settled in Prahran, so the obvious choice was St Kilda. People living north of the yarra, would never support Hawthorn or St Kilda...

Westies go into the city, but they are not supporting a team that is based in the Eastern suburbs.
Quote:
Like I said, with attendance for alot of Swans games, whether that be at the SCG or ANZ Stadium already lower than that you find for Eagles and Crows games and often lower than for Dockers games, for one team in a city of 4.5 million (alot of Swans fans are also former South Melbourne supporters who live in Melbourne),
The SCG is a small ground. I think it holds 30,000. Swans vs Melbourne teams are generally well supported. The games at ANZ are not. There are factors for this: a) its not great to watch there; b) its far to travel for the supporter base c) they schedule the games for Saturday night. Football finishes at 10.30pm on a Saturdya night. Then you ahve to travel an hr by train back to Central, change or whatever to get home

Quote:
I think you need to see AFL grow in popularity in the Sydney area (especially at the grass roots level) before the Greater Western Sydney football club really thrives. My prediction is that they will be cellar dwellers for years to come. Even Port Adelaide, a second team in a city with a very strong football tradition, often fails to draw more than 20,000 fans to AAMI.
Yes: Port Adeliade have struggled because they played their home games at AAMI - not their heartland. When the new ground (Adelaide Oval) is finished in 2013 - expect greater crowds. A footballing state, where people are fanatic,that aren't travelling - when their team is not doing well.

Quote:
It's supporter base is even poorer than Fremantle's. The majority of Sydneysiders aren't that interested in the Swans, while most West Aussies at least have an opinion on the Eagles or Dockers. It'll be interesting to see how GWS goes, I wish them luck but I would have preferred to see a Tasmanian side. But oh well.
No - on the whole there is not that much interest in AFL. That is why, the AFL is trying to impact the Western Sydney market. Targetting Israel Falou, Karmichael Hunt were strong moves.

I too think Tasmania deserves a team. However, after North Melbourne decided not to move to Gold Coast, that made it more difficult. The AFL does not want an un-even team competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Agreed. Tasmania left in the cold. The AFL know they love their footy and have the market cornered with or without a team.

Hawthorn play 4 times a year there. Also from next year, I believe North Melbourne will play 4 games in Hobart. Not the best result, but AFL is being played there.

I think they are hoping the sea-changers to get behind GC.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
I Think the force behind the Gold Coast Suns, is the Southport Sharks, where Nic Ringwoldt played his juniour AFL Footy. They actually applied for an AFL Licience in direct competition to Port Adelaide, when they got in.

Its actully one fo the Biggest sporting clubs in Queensland, social memeberships at the sharks are pretty much on par with the Broncos Leagues Club. Of course most of the members are much more interested in the Poker Machines and food than AFL Footy.

Maybe thats what tassie is missing, a large leagues club with a strong financial base?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-10-2011 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I Think the force behind the Gold Coast Suns, is the Southport Sharks, where Nic Ringwoldt played his juniour AFL Footy. They actually applied for an AFL Licience in direct competition to Port Adelaide, when they got in.

Its actully one fo the Biggest sporting clubs in Queensland, social memeberships at the sharks are pretty much on par with the Broncos Leagues Club. Of course most of the members are much more interested in the Poker Machines and food than AFL Footy.

Maybe thats what tassie is missing, a large leagues club with a strong financial base?
True! I forgot about them. Very strong club. A few footballers have come from this area.

Well, AFL does keep saying tassie is too small to generate enough income. They also say that if the club is in Hobart, Launceston won't support & vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand