Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,155,963 times

Advertisements

I said I was a 'Monarchist for a day' when the Queen visited. It's more about her, though, she's so stately and old...well she IS like 85, lol. I guess she's been an institution for over 50 years...

But you're right, the royals seem like no more than tabloid fodder, no different to Jordan or the Kardashians or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,141,970 times
I wonder if/when Chuck gets the job, whether the republicans will get louder. Ever since that pesky preamble its kinda died off.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I wonder if/when Chuck gets the job, whether the republicans will get louder. Ever since that pesky preamble its kinda died off.
No doubt, a lot of Monarchists are old ladies with portraits of the Queen up on their wall, once they are gone, you will see support for the monarchy drop like that bloke's daks who mooned the Queen .

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,737,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I said I was a 'Monarchist for a day' when the Queen visited. It's more about her, though, she's so stately and old...well she IS like 85, lol. I guess she's been an institution for over 50 years...

But you're right, the royals seem like no more than tabloid fodder, no different to Jordan or the Kardashians or something.
I feel the same. I'm pro-Republic but am not rabidly anti-Monarchist either that I can't get a wee bit excited when they come to town. Yes, stately, an institution - perfect description, which is why she is such a draw and manages to soften anti-Monarchists a little, or turn us into 'Monarchists for a Day' ... lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I'm thinking it will. He's just not very liked and seems very stiff and just plain odd. Not somebody a lot of people can connect with, look up to or would be as drawn to go out and see. He talks to plants and dreams of being a tampon. That's just too weird for most of us.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I feel the same. I'm pro-Republic but am not rabidly anti-Monarchist either that I can't get a wee bit excited when they come to town. Yes, stately, an institution - perfect description, which is why she is such a draw and manages to soften anti-Monarchists a little, or turn us into 'Monarchists for a Day' ... lol!

I'm thinking it will. He's just not very liked and seems very stiff and just plain odd. Not somebody a lot of people can connect with, look up to or would be as drawn to go out and see. He talks to plants and dreams of being a tampon. That's just too weird for most of us.
He does? I might have misjudged the old coot...maybe he might spice things up a bit, eh?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,736,486 times
Quote:
No doubt, a lot of Monarchists are old ladies with portraits of the Queen up on their wall, once they are gone, you will see support for the monarchy drop like that bloke's daks who mooned the Queen .
I am very pro-Republic, but it is surprising how many young people are also Monarchists.
The Referendum, back in 1999, was poor timing just before the Sydney Olympics etc. Many individuals 10 years younger than me (I was nearly 30 at the time) were all for the Monarchy.
Victoria was the only state that had over 50% in favour of a Republic, states like SA and WA were strongly in favour of the Monarchy.
There were too many people not ready for change, and Little Johnnie Howard, the devout Monarchist that he was, wanted to make sure that the preamble was as confusing and as ambiguous as possible.
I just hope in my life time to see the Queens head wiped off the back of my coins.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I am very pro-Republic, but it is surprising how many young people are also Monarchists.
The Referendum, back in 1999, was poor timing just before the Sydney Olympics etc. Many individuals 10 years younger than me (I was nearly 30 at the time) were all for the Monarchy.
Victoria was the only state that had over 50% in favour of a Republic, states like SA and WA were strongly in favour of the Monarchy.
There were too many people not ready for change, and Little Johnnie Howard, the devout Monarchist that he was, wanted to make sure that the preamble was as confusing and as ambiguous as possible.
I just hope in my life time to see the Queens head wiped off the back of my coins.
I don't know many my age who are pro-monarchy. At most they are indifferent. But I haven't really asked a lot of them.

I wonder whose face we'd replace it with? Be probably be easier just to leave the existing currency.

I'm not sure about a new flag, though. Pretty radical idea, and I doubt it would get much support even from alot of Monarchists.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 AM

497 posts, read 985,491 times
You don't have to be a Monarchist to support the Monarchy. I doubt many Australians are Monarchists, but I'd bet most Australians would like to see things stay the way they are.

The "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" sentiment seems to be very strong.

Quote:
I wonder whose face we'd replace it with? Be probably be easier just to leave the existing currency.

I'm not sure about a new flag, though. Pretty radical idea, and I doubt it would get much support even from alot of Monarchists.
I'd like a kangaroo or something like that.

New flag? No, because I have no faith the new one would look better than the current one. At most, just rearrange/delete parts of the current one.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,736,486 times
Quote:
I don't know many my age who are pro-monarchy. At most they are indifferent. But I haven't really asked a lot of them.

I read once that previous "Australians of the Year" could replace the Queen's head on the back of our coins. Not a bad idea.
The idea of a new flag is hardly radical, and has been on the cards for much longer than the current Monarchist vs Republican debate.
It seems to get the most rejection from war veterans.
I don't buy this "old diggers fought under this flag" nonsense.
They fought for freedom, not for a flag.
What is more, the Austalian and New Zealand flags look very similar , along with some other former British colonies.
Thus the flag has no uniqueness in my book.
Unfortunatley the flag will probably not change until a Republic comes into place.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,141,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Regarding the timing, it was a fairly strong topic. Possibly should have waited 5 years or so and that preamble was confusing and designed to make it unappealing.

As for the flag, gotta change. I like the Southern Cross
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand