Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Oh shut.. I watched it sucks times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
^^ six times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
haha! Very good
Sully Bully

Old 12-18-2011, 09:12 AM

93 posts, read 348,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroc View Post
I think it really depends on what a person wants. There are lots of fantastic places to live in Australia. I love Newcastle/Lake Macquarie for example. The beaches there are absolutely gorgeous and you have the city feel, yet it's no where near as large or crowded as Sydney. If you like the city Newcastle and the whole central coast is a great place to choose. It's also very central to the whole east coast, making for easy access to most of Australia's large areas. There are gorgeous suburbs and towns all over the area, and because it's a decent size jobs are also easy to come by and you have the benefit of a good uni and so on as kids grow.

Another area that's gorgeous is southern WA, from Perth down through the Margaret River area. Depending on whether you like a country town or city, WA has fantastic facilities and a very friendly feel to it. Perth is a beautiful city. Margaret River is just magical. All of these areas are good for kids.

We're a defence family so have lived in a number of areas.

Darwin is wonderful. There are good areas and bad like other places, and it's very unique - unlike any other place I've been to. It's a small city but wages tend to be very good to compensate for remoteness. There is easy access to amazing national parks. Some people love Darwin, others hate it. I loved it personally, because I enjoy the outdoors and don't mind the heat. The markets in Darwin are fabulous, sitting on the beach eating dinner.

Wagga was quite nice. It's a medium sized country town and a great area if you like a town feel. Toowoomba in Qld is similar and it's a beautiful place. I lived in Canberra as a kid and in my early teens and it's extremely family friendly - lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, not too far to go to the south coast beaches for the weekend, near some beautiful national parks and the snow. It has the highest wages and highest level of public service in Australia, but it's also freeeeeezing (though still enjoys very hot summers).

Right now we're in Brisbane, or Springfield Lakes more specifically, which is technically Ipswich (avoid Ipswich, it's a filthy crime infested bogan hole - sorry, I'm sure some people love it and it does have positives, but that's my opinion). It's not a bad area, though it's quite 'suburban' with plenty of McMansions and a totally designed look to it. Brisbane itself is quite nice, too, though I'm not sure which areas are good for kids as I've never been far outside the CBD.
Nice informative post...thanks for sharing!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
As long as New Zealand is being mentioned, I want to be helpful again and point out that the grass really IS greener there - at least compared to Australia or California.
Woof…you're hilarious! Love your sense of humor.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:11 PM

I recently had a close friend (who currently lives in Canberra) suggest that we consider the Newcastle area (north of Sydney). Can anyone else (in the "know") speak to that with regard to this thread 's subject matter?

This friend of mine has known me for the better part of the past 30 years…so he knows me well, thus what I may enjoy and not enjoy. He migrated to Australia from the USA about 7 years ago. He and his wife (also American) LOVE life in Oz, and plan to stay indefinitely. They frequently site the friendliness of the Aussie people, it's laid back "work to live" lifestyle (versus the fast paced "live to work" version found in the states), and it's strong economy and middle class (versus our poor economy and disappearing middle class here in the states)…as what appeals to them the most.

They would equate life in Oz to be a lot like it was in the states in the 1950's…in terms of lifestyle. Unlike us, they have no kids…so they can't exactly speak to that aspect from experience.

When I visit Australia in 2012, Sydney and Canberra will likely be my first stop…followed by a trip up to Newcastle (followed by Adalaide and Brisbane). Between now and then, I'd be interested to hear from those on this forum what they know about family life in the Newcastle area in comparison to some of the other locations previously discussed.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-26-2011, 02:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,732,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post
I recently had a close friend (who currently lives in Canberra) suggest that we consider the Newcastle area (north of Sydney). Can anyone else (in the "know") speak to that with regard to this thread 's subject matter?

This friend of mine has known me for the better part of the past 30 years…so he knows me well, thus what I may enjoy and not enjoy. He migrated to Australia from the USA about 7 years ago. He and his wife (also American) LOVE life in Oz, and plan to stay indefinitely. They frequently site the friendliness of the Aussie people, it's laid back "work to live" lifestyle (versus the fast paced "live to work" version found in the states), and it's strong economy and middle class (versus our poor economy and disappearing middle class here in the states)…as what appeals to them the most.

They would equate life in Oz to be a lot like it was in the states in the 1950's…in terms of lifestyle. Unlike us, they have no kids…so they can't exactly speak to that aspect from experience.

When I visit Australia in 2012, Sydney and Canberra will likely be my first stop…followed by a trip up to Newcastle (followed by Adalaide and Brisbane). Between now and then, I'd be interested to hear from those on this forum what they know about family life in the Newcastle area in comparison to some of the other locations previously discussed.

Happy Holidays!
Although I live on the outskirts, and not in coastal suburbs, I don't think you could go wrong here.
It is the ""best of both worlds"", but not having to give up on any of the conveniences of living in a big city, and still Australia's 7th largest city just behind the Gold Coast.
A good general site to start with:
Welcome to Newcastle - A guide to the city of Newcastle with Newcastle Visitor Information.
The shopping centres have all the major shops and department stores, which you will not see again between Newcastle and the Gold Coast.
Big shopping centres are Charlestown Square and Westfield Kotora, although we normally stick to local Stockland Greenhills (East Maitland).
It is a warm temperate climate here, and rarely too hot or too cold.
The beaches are user friendly and with old world charm, complete with swimming ""rock pools"" which are unique to NSW.
It is also relatively easy access to Sydney, but not overly close to be almost part of it like the Central Coast or Wollongong.
There is rarely reason to ever go there anyway.
Most of the international entertainment acts come to Newcastle (Newcastle Entertainment Centre or Civic Theatre) or Hunter Valley wineries -which are right at your doorstep.
The Barrington Tops National Park is just to the north (just watch out for fugitive Malcolm Naden).
See:
http://visithunter.com.au/
There is a growing airport - at the old RAFF at Williamtown.
See:
Newcastle Airport - Home (http://www.newcastleairport.com.au/page345/Home.aspx - broken link)
There is also a university, which offers nearly all courses including Law and Medicine. See:
The University of Newcastle, Australia
There is plenty of scope for school teaching as well, although I know the catholic system better:
Catholic Schools Office - Maitland Newcastle Diocese
There are plenty of good quality middle class suburbs, such as Lambton, New Lambton, Merewether etc.
The nearby Hunter Valley is a great source of employment opportunities, mainly in the coal mining and related industries, but also defence forces.
This should be enough info to get you started.

Last edited by Derek40; 12-26-2011 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: extra link

Old 12-26-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Although I live on the outskirts, and not in coastal suburbs, I don't think you could go wrong here.
It is the ""best of both worlds"", but not having to give up on any of the conveniences of living in a big city, and still Australia's 7th largest city just behind the Gold Coast.
A good general site to start with:
Welcome to Newcastle - A guide to the city of Newcastle with Newcastle Visitor Information.
The shopping centres have all the major shops and department stores, which you will not see again between Newcastle and the Gold Coast.
Big shopping centres are Charlestown Square and Westfield Kotora, although we normally stick to local Stockland Greenhills (East Maitland).
It is a warm temperate climate here, and rarely too hot or too cold.
The beaches are user friendly and with old world charm, complete with swimming ""rock pools"" which are unique to NSW.
It is also relatively easy access to Sydney, but not overly close to be almost part of it like the Central Coast or Wollongong.
There is rarely reason to ever go there anyway.
Most of the international entertainment acts come to Newcastle (Newcastle Entertainment Centre or Civic Theatre) or Hunter Valley wineries -which are right at your doorstep.
The Barrington Tops National Park is just to the north (just watch out for fugitive Malcolm Naden).
See:
Welcome to Visit Hunter - your central online destination.
There is a growing airport - at the old RAFF at Williamtown.
See:
Newcastle Airport - Home (http://www.newcastleairport.com.au/page345/Home.aspx - broken link)
There is also a university, which offers nearly all courses including Law and Medicine. See:
The University of Newcastle, Australia
There is plenty of scope for school teaching as well, although I know the catholic system better:
Catholic Schools Office - Maitland Newcastle Diocese
There are plenty of good quality middle class suburbs, such as Lambton, New Lambton, Merewether etc.
The nearby Hunter Valley is a great source of employment opportunities, mainly in the coal mining and related industries, but also defence forces.
This should be enough info to get you started.
That was indeed enough info...thanks for sharing! This is VERY informative and helpful.

Thanks Again!

Old 12-26-2011, 05:41 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post

Happy Holidays!
As I've said before, Sydney and Melbourne are really expensive towns. As a pilot if you were looking for somewhere relatively close to a major airport but outside Sydney I'd suggest the Southern Highlands/Wollongong/Southcoast over the Central Coast/Newcastle. We had/have a property down there so I can speak with some knowledge of the area (although only from what I saw over holidays etc). As a kid I remember I loved going down there (and I hope, once I have them, to take my kids down there). I know the schools there are pretty good. And generally life is good; it's a semi rural life. From an airport point of view the M5 which connects the Southern Highlands with Sydney runs right past SYD.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
As I've said before, Sydney and Melbourne are really expensive towns. As a pilot if you were looking for somewhere relatively close to a major airport but outside Sydney I'd suggest the Southern Highlands/Wollongong/Southcoast over the Central Coast/Newcastle. We had/have a property down there so I can speak with some knowledge of the area (although only from what I saw over holidays etc). As a kid I remember I loved going down there (and I hope, once I have them, to take my kids down there). I know the schools there are pretty good. And generally life is good; it's a semi rural life. From an airport point of view the M5 which connects the Southern Highlands with Sydney runs right past SYD.
Thanks for the reminder. I have not forgotten about the Southern Highlands/Wollongong/Southcoast area that you pointed out. It simply slipped my mind to list it in that last post. It is still on our radar, and we will visit it before making any decisions.

The Newcastle area has come to our attention lately as a relatively newer discovery in terms of an option, thus has peaked our interest and our desire to learn more about it. Aside from the recommendation of my friend currently living in Canberra, I have also noticed it is rated as a 2011 top 10 city to live by Lonely Planet magazine (and the ONLY place in Oz to break that list).

reference: Lonely Planet

Are you saying that it shares the same expensive cost of living as Sydney? We are just now cracking the shell of the egg of discovery with regard to Newcastle.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:11 PM

201 posts, read 416,599 times
Sydney is one of the worlds greatest cities, but it is also one of the worlds most expensive cities. Consider the Central Coast, in-between Newcastle and Sydney. It's rather cheap and about an hour and 15 minutes commute by train from Sydney. Good option if you want to be in Sydney but can't afford it. Though Newcastle is some what larger and has better options for education.
Also have you considered south east Queensland and Brisbane? Cheaper than Melbourne and Sydney, and a quality city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand