Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 AM

93 posts, read 348,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've been to Brisbane twice now, but I really liked Paddington, Red Hill, Milton, Kelvin Grove - i.e. the older suburbs west of the CBD. Paddington is considered quite a 'hip' neighbourhood. Lots of colourful Queenslanders (both the houses and the people lol), cafes, shops etc but has a sort of quiet feel as well, apart from the main road.
That sounds charming. Looking at it, they all seem to be lined up in the same general area of Brissy. It certainly sounds worthy of a closer look when I visit. Can anyone speak to how the primary & secondary schools rate in those areas (Paddington, Red Hill, Milton, and Kelvin Grove)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Nope. Since Adelaide does not have a humid climate... those Queensland houses are built off the ground for better ventilation, I reckon. You can find bluestone cottages in South Australia similar to this one in North Adelaide that you can rent as you explore the city:
Bluestone Cottage, North Adelaide, SA - Book with Rent-A-Home.com.au

Adelaide does not have many flash highrise buildings. It does have a wealth of colonial and art deco structures. If you do a flickr search you should see some o f the architecture styles. I enjoyed walking about with my camera as you always found things to photograph. A gargoyle hear, art deco lights there. I appreciated the fact that they were not in the habit of tearing down classic buildings for soulless modern boxes. Ugly boxes do exist, but there are heaps of beautiful buildings to check out, such as these at Uni Adelaide (where I studied)
Explore the past - Discover the future | Campus Tours

BTW, I spent many hours watching cricket at the beautiful Adelaide Oval (Adelaide Hills in the background). When I fly into town I make sure I am on the left side of the plane as it provides the best view of the Oval. The ugly tall building on the right is the tallest in the city (not very tall at that).. the Santos Building. On the left you see many red tile roofs.. that's part of the city campus of Uni ADL.

BTW, I don't know who this bloke is, but he has pictures of Glenelg, which is a beachside suburb of ADL, there is a tram that heads into the city into Glenelg. Also shows shopping area called Rundle St. I used to take the tram down to go to the best Starbucks I've ever seen (now closed). It was 1 building from oceanfront and had a nice large outdoor cafe where I could watch the sea as I drank my latte.
Melanie and Co !: December 2008

Funny story: a friend of mine came to visit me from NY. When he got back to NY he told me people were giving him funny looks as he was smiling at people and saying Good Morning. Two days before, we were walking around the Adelaide parklands and people were smiling and saying G'day; he got into greeting people back and it did not work in NY. LOL.
So does Cricket take after Baseball, or does Baseball take after Cricket? I have never attended a Cricket game, but would love to some day! The Adelaide Oval looks beautiful.

Again, thanks for all the detailed information on Adelaide. You are a great spokesman for the city. You've certainly sold it to me, and I can't wait to visit it.

I am rather amazed by all the huge parks surrounding the city center (CBD?). That's impressive, and quite appealing. The overall friendliness of the Australian people (that you point out) in comparison to the average American is a lure to us. I will enjoy saying G'day back as I stroll through the parklands…if we end up settling there.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:09 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post
So does Cricket take after Baseball, or does Baseball take after Cricket? I have never attended a Cricket game, but would love to some day! The Adelaide Oval looks beautiful.

Again, thanks for all the detailed information on Adelaide. You are a great spokesman for the city. You've certainly sold it to me, and I can't wait to visit it.

I am rather amazed by all the huge parks surrounding the city center (CBD?). That's impressive, and quite appealing. The overall friendliness of the Australian people (that you point out) in comparison to the average American is a lure to us. I will enjoy saying G'day back as I stroll through the parklands…if we end up settling there.
Baseball comes from a english game called rounders, which has being played in england since the early 1600's. Which is also about the same time their is any official reference to the game of cricket. So weather cricket came from rounders or rounders came from cricket is anybodies guess.
Good trivia question is, who played the first recorded game of international game of cricket? The answer is the USA and Canada in 1844. Australia and england played the first international match officially recognised by the current governing body in 1877.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-29-2011 at 07:28 PM..

Old 10-29-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Baseball comes from a english game called rounders, which has being played in england since the early 1600's. Which is also about the same time their is any official reference to the game of cricket. So weather cricket came from rounders or rounders came from cricket is anybodies guess.
Good trivia question is, who played the first recorded game of international game of cricket? The answer is the USA and Canada in 1844. Australia and england played the first international match officially recognised by the current governing body in 1877.
Nicely put!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post

Aww thanks. But truly I was just going with facts and web links that you could check out on your own. Trying not to sway you one way or another as only you can decide what works best for your family.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Anyway back to the question, Brisbane!

I suppose first of all you if you dont know already , Brisbane does not have actually have any Beahces. They city (downtown) is about 10km inland on the river. The bay area of Brisbane is mostly magroves swamps and mudflats, although their are a couple of nicer areas where windsufing and kite surfing are popular. The inhabited parts of the bay area, are pretty cheap and a long way from the city, so it tends to attract a more bogan/poorer retiree type crowd.

The bay does has some beautiful islands however and fishing and diving are very popular. The main ones being moreton Island
Tangalooma Island Resort | Tangalooma Holidays | Moreton Island Tours & Photos | Moreton Bay Brisbane Tours | Family Holidays QLD | Day Cruises and North Stradbroke Island ttp://www.northstradbrokeisland.com/. The Gold Coasts Beaches are about 1 hour from the downtown, (much closer if you live in Brisbane southern Suburbs). The sunshine coast is slighly further away to the north.

Brisbane/Gold Coast are also pretty unique by Aussie standards in that the 3rd and 6th largest cities in the country are basically suburbs of each other, they both have international airports. Although the Gold Coasts is pretty small, and is mainly served by budget carriers Air Asia and Jetsart (Air NZ, has direct flights their as well I think).

As for where to live well, a lot of brisbanes better suburbs have already being mentioned, Milton, Red Hill, Paddington, Auchenflower and Toowong have form a goup west of the city, together with nieghbouring St Lucia, (where the Universtiy of Queensland is) and Indooroopilly They form a group of very popular white collar suburbs with Indooroopilly being the furthurest away at 22km west of the airport. These suburbs all sit of the base of Mt cootha, which is where Brisbane main botanical garden is, you can get houses at the foot of the moutain, but the mountain it self has no houses on it. Another suburb is the GAP The Gap, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia sandwhiched bewtween Mt Cootha, the Bribane Forset park and the Ennogra Reserve. The area is also home to some the states top private shcools, such as Brisbane Boys College and Brisbane Garmmar School, (cant help with Girls schools sorry).

The other main area, to look at is the area around Ascot and Hamilton, east of the city they are close to the aiport and fit pretty much the same profile as the others mentioned, I dont go up their very much however and they are the most expensive suburbs in the city.

South of the city I would prefer the area around Bulimba, once again a popular "hip" area right on the river with cafes, botique art galleries, and coffe shops applenty. On the bay, your best bet would be the area around Wellington Point Wellington Point, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,

Travel times to the airport can be long, they are currently in the process of building a massive tunnel/freeway system out their however (about $5 billion worth of Roads), so by the time that is finished Brisbane should have the most accessable ariport in the country. The Gold Coast Train runs to the Airport as well, it is expensive however.

Of course, it wont effect the op, but if I were to retire , It would be looking at the small towns in the Sushine Coast Hinterland, Maleny Queensland - Sunshine Coast Hinterland, Hinterland Tourism Sunshine Coast (HTSC) - Maleny, Montville, Glasshouse Mountains, Kenilworth, Mapleton, Flaxton, Beerwah, Blackall Range, Landsborough, Accommodation and Tourism Information the towns such as this one, woodford, mapleton, and beerwah are lovely. About 1 hour north of Brisbane, and 1/2 an hour from the beaches of the sushine coast. Its an area of high rainfall, rainforests, lakes and dams. Or the better/non Bogan areas of the Gold Coast Hinterland, such as Coomera on the Gold Cost Train line or Tamborine Tamborine Mountain Guide,

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-29-2011 at 11:42 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 06:43 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Except maybe the French to avenge their loss? LOL.
The French have already taken military/ terrorist action on NZ soil. Once is enough.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Anyway back to the question, Brisbane!

I suppose first of all you if you dont know already , Brisbane does not have actually have any Beahces. They city (downtown) is about 10km inland on the river. The bay area of Brisbane is mostly magroves swamps and mudflats, although their are a couple of nicer areas where windsufing and kite surfing are popular. The inhabited parts of the bay area, are pretty cheap and a long way from the city, so it tends to attract a more bogan/poorer retiree type crowd.

The bay does has some beautiful islands however and fishing and diving are very popular. The main ones being moreton Island
Tangalooma Island Resort | Tangalooma Holidays | Moreton Island Tours & Photos | Moreton Bay Brisbane Tours | Family Holidays QLD | Day Cruises and North Stradbroke Island ttp://www.northstradbrokeisland.com/. The Gold Coasts Beaches are about 1 hour from the downtown, (much closer if you live in Brisbane southern Suburbs). The sunshine coast is slighly further away to the north.

Brisbane/Gold Coast are also pretty unique by Aussie standards in that the 3rd and 6th largest cities in the country are basically suburbs of each other, they both have international airports. Although the Gold Coasts is pretty small, and is mainly served by budget carriers Air Asia and Jetsart (Air NZ, has direct flights their as well I think).

As for where to live well, a lot of brisbanes better suburbs have already being mentioned, Milton, Red Hill, Paddington, Auchenflower and Toowong have form a goup west of the city, together with nieghbouring St Lucia, (where the Universtiy of Queensland is) and Indooroopilly They form a group of very popular white collar suburbs with Indooroopilly being the furthurest away at 22km west of the airport. These suburbs all sit of the base of Mt cootha, which is where Brisbane main botanical garden is, you can get houses at the foot of the moutain, but the mountain it self has no houses on it. Another suburb is the GAP The Gap, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia sandwhiched bewtween Mt Cootha, the Bribane Forset park and the Ennogra Reserve. The area is also home to some the states top private shcools, such as Brisbane Boys College and Brisbane Garmmar School, (cant help with Girls schools sorry).

The other main area, to look at is the area around Ascot and Hamilton, east of the city they are close to the aiport and fit pretty much the same profile as the others mentioned, I dont go up their very much however and they are the most expensive suburbs in the city.

South of the city I would prefer the area around Bulimba, once again a popular "hip" area right on the river with cafes, botique art galleries, and coffe shops applenty. On the bay, your best bet would be the area around Wellington Point Wellington Point, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,

Travel times to the airport can be long, they are currently in the process of building a massive tunnel/freeway system out their however (about $5 billion worth of Roads), so by the time that is finished Brisbane should have the most accessable ariport in the country. The Gold Coast Train runs to the Airport as well, it is expensive however.

Of course, it wont effect the op, but if I were to retire , It would be looking at the small towns in the Sushine Coast Hinterland, Maleny Queensland - Sunshine Coast Hinterland, Hinterland Tourism Sunshine Coast (HTSC) - Maleny, Montville, Glasshouse Mountains, Kenilworth, Mapleton, Flaxton, Beerwah, Blackall Range, Landsborough, Accommodation and Tourism Information the towns such as this one, woodford, mapleton, and beerwah are lovely. About 1 hour north of Brisbane, and 1/2 an hour from the beaches of the sushine coast. Its an area of high rainfall, rainforests, lakes and dams. Or the better/non Bogan areas of the Gold Coast Hinterland, such as Coomera on the Gold Cost Train line or Tamborine Tamborine Mountain Guide,
Thank you for sharing your insider insight on the Brisbane area! That was definitely worth the wait. We very much appreciate hearing from those in the know, as we feel it gives us better understanding of how things "really" tick…more than just what basic internet research can provide. Your post certainly helped to sharpen our understanding of the Brissy area.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Wollongong/the Illawarra are now basically suburbs of Sydney.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Wollongong/the Illawarra are now basically suburbs of Sydney.
I was thinking more along the lines of Brisbane/Gold Coast being unique, becaues their are Two functioning International Aiports within about 100km of each other. I dont think their is anywhere else like that in Australia? Avalon is builidng an international terminal ive read.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-30-2011 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand