Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 AM

93 posts, read 348,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Interesting, Ive always associate the term bogan with a supporter of the collingwood football club. I had to google it to check the interpretation of the word, I suppose brisbane has its share of bogans living in the outer suburbs. I have occasionally heard logan city being referred to as "Bogan City" , but ive never stopped in the place

My first car was a WB kingswood V8 ute, i loved it, so i suppose im a bit bogan to.

Anyway i moved to brisbane becuase iin my opinion a better more afforable place to raise a family, with a better climate, i like the heat.
We are not overly concerned with the 'Bogan' population, unless the area is such like Logan City has the reputation as being. That would not be desirable. We are use to co-existing with red necks in the states, and honestly are not that put off by them. Most we find to be friendly and harmless (just as others have touched on in this thread). They simply are what they are, and can be found in every part of the US (as it would appear Australia as well). You learn when and how to deal with them, and when and how NOT to do so. It's part of life, and we certainly do not have a unrealistic expectation of finding that area to live that is devoid of them completely.

I assume that you live in Brisbane now, so I must ask…aside from the affordability of it (in comparison to the larger metro areas of Oz), and your opinion of it having a better climate…can you speak more on WHY you feel it a better place to raise a family?

Such as…are the schools considered better (or perhaps have a unique set up or system that is MORE ideal)? Does it have more family friendly parks and attractions than other areas? Are some Bisbane neighborhoods more well known for their larger than normal population of kids? Etc etc etc…

BTW- We like the heat also, and don't mind the humidity (just as long as it's not a all year long event)…yet, admittedly…a dryer climate is more preferable. I must add, that we also enjoy the water (boating, swimming, fishing) and desire a area that includes that in it's lifestyle. From what we can tell, Brisbane certainly puts a tick in that box quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 09:03 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,534,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post
We are not overly concerned with the 'Bogan' population, unless the area is such like Logan City has the reputation as being. That would not be desirable. We are use to co-existing with red necks in the states, and honestly are not that put off by them. Most we find to be friendly and harmless (just as others have touched on in this thread). They simply are what they are, and can be found in every part of the US (as it would appear Australia as well). You learn when and how to deal with them, and when and how NOT to do so. It's part of life, and we certainly do not have a unrealistic expectation of finding that area to live that is devoid of them completely.

I assume that you live in Brisbane now, so I must ask…aside from the affordability of it (in comparison to the larger metro areas of Oz), and your opinion of it having a better climate…can you speak more on WHY you feel it a better place to raise a family?

Such as…are the schools considered better (or perhaps have a unique set up or system that is MORE ideal)? Does it have more family friendly parks and attractions than other areas? Are some Bisbane neighborhoods more well known for their larger than normal population of kids? Etc etc etc…

BTW- We like the heat also, and don't mind the humidity (just as long as it's not a all year long event)…yet, admittedly…a dryer climate is more preferable. I must add, that we also enjoy the water (boating, swimming, fishing) and desire a area that includes that in it's lifestyle. From what we can tell, Brisbane certainly puts a tick in that box quite well.
Im not familar with the USA, and someone else might be a better authority on this, but i get the feeling the Australias cities are no where near as different from each other as US cities are, at the end of the day aussie cities are really quite similar.

Unless your after the most prestigious school in the country, every city offers a wide range of extemely good (and not so good) private and public schools. The Uni Of Melbourne, Sydney, QLD (Brisbane), and the ANU (Canberra) are all ranked inside the worlds top 75 uinversites, with melbourne being the highest at 37, attend any of thoes and you will get a good quality degree.

The same goes for parks and demographis as well unfrotunatly, every city has at least one or two large garden or park areas in the CBD (downtown area) and virtually every suburb in every city will have at least one park or playing field to choose from. By way of example i checked the local councils listing of parks in my suburb, it gave me 16 different options, my brother who lives on the other side of the city has 24 in his, neither of them are particularly prosperous areas, and brisbane is not exactly known for it parks.

So as to why i feel its a better place to raise a family, well it just comes down to size really, Brisbane being smalller than SYD and Melb, just seems safer, with less Drug Gangs, pollution problems etc, that you associate with bigger cities.

I will have to leave your other questions for a later time sorry.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-26-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Im not familar with the USA, and someone else might be a better authority on this, but i get the feeling the Australias cities are no where near as different from each other as US cities are, at the end of the day aussie cities are really quite similar.

Unless your after the most prestigious school in the country, every city offers a wide range of extemely good (and not so good) private and public schools. The Uni Of Melbourne, Sydney, QLD (Brisbane), and the ANU (Canberra) are all ranked inside the worlds top 75 uinversites, with melbourne being the highest at 37, attend any of thoes and you will get a good quality degree.

The same goes for parks and demographis as well unfrotunatly, every city has at least one or two large garden or park areas in the CBD (downtown area) and virtually every suburb in every city will have at least one park or playing field to choose from. By way of example i checked the local councils listing of parks in my suburb, it gave me 16 different options, my brother who lives on the other side of the city has 24 in his, neither of them are particularly prosperous areas, and brisbane is not exactly known for it parks.

So as to why i feel its a better place to raise a family, well it just comes down to size really, Brisbane being smalller than SYD and Melb, just seems safer, with less Drug Gangs, pollution problems etc, that you associate with bigger cities.

I will have to leave your other questions for a later time sorry.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I suspect that you may be right about the range of differences in comparison of the cities in the 2 countries. In part, it could be why I assume that there must be a more drastic difference in Oz and I'm digging in search of what they are. In America you can find radical differences within the same city limits.

I have noticed a wide array of preferences between the major cities. Based on what we can tell from our current vantage point (here in the states), I'd say that we'd be leaning more towards Adalaide or Brisbane (more specifically the Sunshine Coast) in terms of what we'd want for our family (yet, not ruling out any option just yet…to include leaving the states at all).

We take away something from just about every opinion put forth in this forum…and appreciate all those who have taken the time to share their thoughts. It helps us form our own opinion as well as builds upon our overall understanding. Our goal with this effort is simple...to make the most informed decision possible on where to move and settle into raising our family at (when that time comes a year or so from now).

Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,057,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
and you would be right ..

Seriously, there is bogan everywhere in Australia. Its alright. The Holden & Ford jackets identify them pretty quickly!

It would be more affordable than say Sydney or even Melbourne. Depending on finances, living in the burbs isn't too exciting (IMO)
This is why I chose to live in North Adelaide which was a beautiful (bogan free) suburb. And I could easily walk to the Adelaide CBD or they had free shuttles into the city. It had a nice upscale vibe with cool cafes and coffee shops and a 24 hour bakery. OMG I miss that bakery.

north adelaide: north adelaide information: north adelaide shopping: information for north adelaide: melbourne street: O'Connell Street: Tour Adelaide, South Australia - produced by Maxwells Web Media.Com Pty Ltd

I hung out at the Lion Cafe:
O'Connell Street Information: Melbourne Street Information: Adelaide's Cafe Precincts - coffee shops of adelaide - Adelaide Tourist Information - Tour Adelaide South Australia

Scooter: if you come chek out ADL, I strongly suggest you check out this part of town (North Adelaide) as well as Unley, Burnside and the Adelaide Hills. I've lived in upscale suburbs in the states (e.g., Greenwich, CT and Los Gatos, CA) and I liked North Adelaide better as people were friendlier and less snobby, yet you knew they were financially comfortable.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Scooter: if you come chek out ADL, I strongly suggest you check out this part of town (North Adelaide) as well as Unley, Burnside and the Adelaide Hills. I've lived in upscale suburbs in the states (e.g., Greenwich, CT and Los Gatos, CA) and I liked North Adelaide better as people were friendlier and less snobby, yet you knew they were financially comfortable.
I will check that out. Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds quite appealing. I don't see any way we'd make a decision between either locations without checking them both out extensively BY FOOT. Flying for FREE does have it's perks. I intend to utilize them to the fullest with making this decision…and spend as much time as possible in each area in consideration (to include a trip to New Zealand time permitting).

Old 10-26-2011, 05:08 PM

4,254 posts, read 4,930,032 times
Quote:
I think that is true of the big cities in the US (NYC, LA, SF, Chi-Town, Miami etc) but not true of a lot of the smaller regional cities in "flyover country". There are of course exceptions to the rule, New Orleans; Austin; Nashville etc...

Sydney and Melbourne are pretty different towns but the smaller capitals are fairly similar.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,196,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
......It would be more affordable than say Sydney or even Melbourne. Depending on finances, living in the burbs isn't too exciting (IMO)
Oh fer gawdsake, he's an international airline pilot. He's not on a budget unless he's paying full tuition for all his children at the ritziest of private schools.

If I had that kind of income (instead of an income more suited for a shack in the outback) I'd head for Sydney. Everyone in the world who is thinking of moving to Australia would prefer Sydney, if they could afford it.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:53 PM

4,254 posts, read 4,930,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Oh fer gawdsake, he's an international airline pilot. He's not on a budget unless he's paying full tuition for all his children at the ritziest of private schools.

If I had that kind of income (instead of an income more suited for a shack in the outback) I'd head for Sydney. Everyone in the world who is thinking of moving to Australia would prefer Sydney, if they could afford it.
Hmmm...This ain't the 50's, pilots don't earn like they used to. Even on $150k/year it's not like you'd be living the highlife in Sydney.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,498,077 times
An international airline pilot with a working (teacher) spouse will not have any financial problem living in a nice house in a pleasant Sydney suburb within easy distance of the airport. Scooter has already said he's looking for a simple life, not the high life.

I agree with DanielSA that every major Australian city is a good place to bring up a family if you choose your suburb wisely and with regard to your own values and preferred lifestyle.

Scooter - if you want a beachy, outdoorsy lifestyle, I'd recommend Sydney or the Sunshine Coast of Qld. If you're more into the arts and cultural activities then probably Melbourne would offer more. As minibrings said, North Adelaide is a great suburb. I personally don't like Brisbane, but my daughter lives there and likes it just fine (and she's definitely no bogan and has no bogan friends)!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,196,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
......Even on $150k/year it's not like you'd be living the highlife in Sydney.....
Huh?! I guess you live in a different world than I do! As a single guy, I get by on about $10,000 per year (well, almost get by) ..... to me, someone with a family who is making $60,000 a year is rich.

I can only hope to attain the status of a "bogan" some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand