Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:17 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
That's sad but it's the way society is going everywhere, unfortunately. Someone just has to claim they are offended and that's it, case closed. I always wonder about such precious petals. I don't believe they are offended or hurt at all. I believe they are just nasty, insecure people who get on some sort of power trip making a big deal out of symbols. Problem is, their grievances are taken seriously by our laws instead of scoffed at, so they're encouraged.

From what I heard, the employee wearing the poppy (that has the power to offend) was given a written warning because he refused to take it off. Personally, I'd rather the offended ones be fired for making the work environment toxic. But that's not PC.
Interesting and level-headed response. I never thought of it that way.

When I went to school the "Minute of Silence" was taken VERY seriously.
Talking during it would (should anyone dare; I don't think it ever happened) result in "detention."

The fact they went beyond mere indifference or disrespect... '
aghast, if I heard that, it'd be very hard for me not to say "...Get out of my country..."
Honestly, it would require extreme self-restraint.
(and I do many times, though the bulging veins on my face probably become obvious )
I wasn't even there and as I heard it, my nerves were on edge a bit.

PC people would never get out of detention in Canada... if that's what PC means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Thank you BCC! I had never heard this...I think that is very thoughtful for people to do that.
I never knew that it was unknown by Americans.
I've spent 2 years of my life in the USA on many vacations...
I thought I knew you pretty well.

For Canadians it's a big part of our popular culture, equally well known as Easter or Halloween.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:25 AM

^^ If I'm in Australia next Nov 11th, I'll be sure to buy and wear a poppy.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

For Canadians it's a big part of our popular culture, equally well known as Easter or Halloween.
Americans are familiar with the flower. Not sure if they know its a poppy and its significance. I've given money to vets in return for one.
http://www.cal-mum.com/poppy.htm

WWI and WWII helped define Australia as a separate country from the pommies, perhaps this is why poppies have more of a significance... imo

Last edited by minibrings; 11-13-2011 at 09:16 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 12:19 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

I find it interesting that AU has adopted that as a symbol of remembrance. I think it is really cool actually! We don't have an actual remembrance day for WWI. The US never adopted wearing a poppy. We have Memorial Day and it started as a result of our civil war and then came to include all wars where US soldiers died. It is a national holiday and as far as the US citizens... it seems to be mainly celebrated by the military, ex-military, military supporters or families who lost family members in wars...but to the rest of us it's just a day to visit family and to do outdoor BBQ. A lot of Americans have family reunions over the Memorial Day weekend. You will see many parades that a lot of US citizens will attend but all in all it is not as big of a day as other observances in the US. I don't think the US does a very good job honoring the vets. I think this largely has to do with the realization from many US citizens that the wars we have participated in over the past 40 years were a bad choice by the US.

No poppy wearing but you can find a lot of US flag waving.

Remembrance Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Memorial Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everyone in the US knows about the California poppy...it's the State Flower

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 07:00 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 04:53 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,896,327 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that AU has adopted that as a symbol of remembrance. I think it is really cool actually! We don't have an actual remembrance day for WWI. The US never adopted wearing a poppy.
Actually, you did!

It's a Commonwealth thing, not really an Australian thing. ANZAC Day is still the more traditional day of remembrance in Australia.

Quote:
The remembrance poppy (a Papaver rhoeas) has been used since 1920 to commemorate soldiers who have died in war. They were first used in the United States to commemorate soldiers who died in World War I (1914–1918).

United States

In the United States, the American Legion distributes crepe-paper poppies in exchange for contributions.[when?] "Poppy Day" is usually the same as or near Memorial Day in May.[35] However, many Legion groups also make poppies available around 11 November
Remembrance poppy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Actually, you did!

It's a Commonwealth thing, not really an Australian thing. ANZAC Day is still the more traditional day of remembrance in Australia.

Remembrance poppy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Very interesting! I have never heard of this in the US. While growing up in this country I have never seen anyone wear a poppy for remembrance day. However I have never visited the American Legion either. Most who celebrate and honor the veterans hang a US flag...that has been the tradition for as long as I can recall. Or wear a US flag broach or tie pin. I grew up in the South so that could be the reason I have never seen or heard of this...while researching it I find that it is a regional thing in the US. I will keep my eyes and ears open here in CA on Memorial Day to see if it is common here. I did not notice it last year.

Also my partner was in the Navy during the Vietnam era and he has never heard of this in his entire life as I asked him about it today. He was an honor guard and performed in ceremonies on Memorial Day and he had never heard of a poppy remembrance...now I don't feel so left out

There is an American Legion down the street from me...I think on Memorial Day I will visit and buy a hand made poppy

Memorial Day History

Last edited by TVC15; 11-13-2011 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 08:04 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Very interesting! I have never heard of this in the US. While growing up in this country I have never seen anyone wear a poppy for remembrance day. However I have never visited the American Legion either. Most who celebrate and honor the veterans hang a US flag...that has been the tradition for as long as I can recall. Or wear a US flag broach or tie pin. I grew up in the South so that could be the reason I have never seen or heard of this...while researching it I find that it is a regional thing in the US. I will keep my eyes and ears open here in CA on Memorial Day to see if it is common here. I did not notice it last year.

Also my partner was in the Navy during the Vietnam era and he has never heard of this in his entire life as I asked him about it today. He was an honor guard and performed in ceremonies on Memorial Day and he had never heard of a poppy remembrance...now I don't feel so left out

There is an American Legion down the street from me...I think on Memorial Day I will visit and buy a hand made poppy

Memorial Day History
Remembrance day is a commonwealth thing. Memorial day is the US equivalent and I have bought paper poppies suchbas those from the following link from vets.

Chronicles of a Wayward Soul » The Veteran

Old 11-13-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Remembrance day is a commonwealth thing. Memorial day is the US equivalent and I have bought paper poppies suchbas those from the following link from vets.

Chronicles of a Wayward Soul » The Veteran
Yes I am now aware of the commonwealth tradition. I did some research today about the poppy remembrance. I actually think it is really awesome! I like the story behind it.

I will visit the American Legion right down the street from where I live and buy some from them to support the cause!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,121,890 times
Did anyone else find it hard to buy a poppy? Don't they normally sell them in the street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand