Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times

Advertisements

Just remembered, today is Rembrance Day.
Just before 11am now, 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, marking the end of WW1.
A time for ANZAC's to remember, even if most from WW1 have long since passed away, and a time to remember more modern conflicts like those serving in Afghanistan now.

Last edited by Vichel; 12-09-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Lest We Forget.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:24 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them."

All of work stopped for the minute silence, which was good to see.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:04 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
I heard on the radio, somewhere in Oz that an employee was ordered to remove his poppy, as the employer or fellow co-workers found his poppy offencive...

I really can't understand that one.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:09 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I heard on the radio, somewhere in Oz that an employee was ordered to remove his poppy, as the employer or fellow co-workers found his poppy offencive...

I really can't understand that one.
That's sad but it's the way society is going everywhere, unfortunately. Someone just has to claim they are offended and that's it, case closed. I always wonder about such precious petals. I don't believe they are offended or hurt at all. I believe they are just nasty, insecure people who get on some sort of power trip making a big deal out of symbols. Problem is, their grievances are taken seriously by our laws instead of scoffed at, so they're encouraged.

From what I heard, the employee wearing the poppy (that has the power to offend) was given a written warning because he refused to take it off. Personally, I'd rather the offended ones be fired for making the work environment toxic. But that's not PC.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
That's sad but it's the way society is going everywhere, unfortunately. Someone just has to claim they are offended and that's it, case closed. I always wonder about such precious petals. I don't believe they are offended or hurt at all. I believe they are just nasty, insecure people who get on some sort of power trip making a big deal out of symbols. Problem is, their grievances are taken seriously by our laws instead of scoffed at, so they're encouraged.

From what I heard, the employee wearing the poppy (that has the power to offend) was given a written warning because he refused to take it off. Personally, I'd rather the offended ones be fired for making the work environment toxic. But that's not PC.
Excuse me for asking this but what does "wearing the poppy" mean

Old 11-12-2011, 07:55 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Excuse me for asking this but what does "wearing the poppy" mean
People wear poppies (a flower) on their lapel to mark Remembrance Day. The poppy is significant because it was the first thing to grow in the battlefields of Flanders (WWI) after the dead soliders bodies were buried in those fields.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:37 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
People wear poppies (a flower) on their lapel to mark Remembrance Day. The poppy is significant because it was the first thing to grow in the battlefields of Flanders (WWI) after the dead soliders bodies were buried in those fields.
Poppies are referenced in the famous Canadian WW1 poem "In Flanders Fields".

Old 11-12-2011, 08:42 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Poppies are referenced in the famous Canadian WW1 poem "In Flanders Fields".
What a moving poem that is!

They wear poppies for Remembrance Day in Canada too. They're often sold by Veterans in public places, the money going to Veterans' causes. I always buy one and wear it.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Thank you BCC! I had never heard this...I think that is very thoughtful for people to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand