Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 03:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,255 times

Advertisements

Look most aussie citizens themselves can't afford to live comfortably in their retirement, and have to look to places like Bali and Thailand. House prices have gone through the roof and everyday costs not cheap either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 04:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,255 times
Oh and add that to the fact that their old age pension is means tested,the poor b....ds are worse off than most.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:15 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron123 View Post
Oh and add that to the fact that their old age pension is means tested,the poor b....ds are worse off than most.
2 posts of nonsense. The amount of retirees going to Indonesia or Thailand is infinitesimally small, and even those on the full age pension are among the richest retirees in the world. In fact they receive more income than most of the worlds working population.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:29 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Look most aussie citizens themselves can't afford to live comfortably in their retirement, and have to look to places like Bali and Thailand. House prices have gone through the roof and everyday costs not cheap either.
People of retirement age are the ones who've made out like bandits on the real estate bubble. It's people who are nown their 20s and 30s who can't afford a house.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:39 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Interesting topic in regards to retirement visas in Australia and in general.

Definitely wouldn't be able to afford to retire there, but never in my life would I ever want to live in Australia.

Have you seen those Huntsman spiders? They even surprise you in cars. No way. No freaking way.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:57 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Definitely wouldn't be able to afford to retire there, but never in my life would I ever want to live in Australia.

Have you seen those Huntsman spiders? They even surprise you in cars. No way. No freaking way.
Gosh, i know, and they're venomous, too! So scary!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...GUB_uwJdRSKssQ

Old 02-28-2016, 03:47 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:

lol seen em? They're practically pets here.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:12 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:

Yeah. I've love to visit Australia, but I couldn't live there.

I like the things that can kill me here in Canada. Things that can be seen, or heard crashing through the bush or growling. Not silently walking on my neck while I sleep.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:56 PM

468 posts, read 616,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
$750k should buy you a fairly decent house in a not-too-bad part of most cities.
It depends which city you're talking about. $750k is an average price that would get you a tiny house or apartment for global cities like Sydney, but a well above average price for smaller cities like Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth and Hobart.

In Adelaide or even Perth, you can find a decent house in a relatively good area for around $450k to $550k. Maybe less if you're lucky, but it would probably be a unit (small joined home) or apartment.

As far as spiders and other poisonous animals go, I've never really encountered one and I've lived in Australia for coming up to 25 years.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:47 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Most retirees aren't in the housing market unless they're selling and downsizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand