Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi View Post
Summers are definitely not 100 percent pleasant due to the humidity and minimums not dropping below 20oC. In the mornings when there is no wind, it can be even more humid which is quite energy sapping and does get oppressive at times, more often than "rarely". Quite often I have to wear a bandana on my head to stop sweat dripping all over my face and no, I am not overweight, I weight 75 kilos. However when winds blow from the west, can make for much less humid conditions but transports suffocating heat from the interior.

Last year's Summer was the coldest in years and much cloudier and wetter, temps did not reach 31oC, this was one of the best summers IMO due to the extreme lack of humidity as well as the lack of hot days.
Toronto summers like-wise are not 100% pleasant,
because we always get some days with breezy temperatures under 18 C by sunset and overnight lows under 12 C.

Glad I wasn't there for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 PM

177 posts, read 425,274 times
Sounds nice SAB, go outside and take part in the joyous cloud and cool as doesn't fuel bushfires further

Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Toronto summers like-wise are not 100% pleasant,
because we always get some days with breezy temperatures under 18 C by sunset and overnight lows under 12 C.

Glad I wasn't there for that.
Mmm sounds very nice indeed. I'm jealous

Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Oh my God! It rained today in Perth A whole 5.1 mm. Phwoar!

Been so long, I had to go out and stand in it to make sure. It was great.
That's great and about time after going without rain for 66 days!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi View Post
Mmm sounds very nice indeed. I'm jealous
*Meanwhile, I hope for 30+C highs and 18+C summer temps.

Well maybe you wouldn't be jealous when you hear what Toronto typical spring and fall are like:

Spring: Highs anywhere from 4 to 20 C, lows anywhere from -4 to 15 C
50-75% cloud cover, 40-70% of the days will have precip...
days that have precip, precip seems to last 3-12 hours straight.
5% chance of snow instead of rain

Fall: Highs anywhere from 1 C to 15 C, lows from -6 C to 12 C
60-90% cloud cover, 45-80% of the days with precip
precip seems to last 3-18 hours
10% chance of snow instead of rain

*In between those two wet and dark seasons is winter which lasts even longer, 3-4 months typically.

** I've noticed some Aussie's day-dreaming about rain...

In our climate, we probably annual average 160 days with 1mm or more precip.
With an average annual high of 11 C and low of 2 C, combined with 60% annual cloud cover; it obviously doesn't evaporate in a hurry.
So rain or snow is (understandably?) rarely special to anyone here.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:

Well maybe you wouldn't be jealous when you hear what Toronto typical spring and fall are like:

*In between those two wet and dark seasons is winter which lasts even longer, 3-4 months typically.

With an average annual high of 11 C and low of 2 C, combined with 60% annual cloud cover; it obviously doesn't evaporate in a hurry.
Brrr, the biggest turn-off to living in Canada is definitely the climate.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Brrr, the biggest turn-off to living in Canada is definitely the climate.
Yup.

Our "spring" or "fall" seems to be more like a typical southern Oz or Kiwi winter,
only as a whole, this period lasts 6.25 to 9 months (depending on the year)

Even before my nerve disorder and as a young boy,
I only consistantly enjoyed the time between April and mid or late September.
That was when 21 C felt warm, 16+C always felt good, and 10 C only "distinctly-cool."
October actually is warmer than April by statistics (high of 15 C vs. 12 C) but it "feels colder"
probably from the shock of rapidly dropping temps after summer,
as our August average is 25-26 C with the low about 14-15 C.
(and we go from roughly 40% cloud cover in August to 60+% by October)

*Mind you, we can get the odd day at 20 C, even 24 C or 25 C from Mar thru Nov, but those days are rare,
and the bulk of our weather (80-90% of the days in a season) are as I described.

**Understandably, in Toronto society tends to want to avoid the outdoors about 6 months a year.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-25-2009 at 07:23 AM..

Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
I actually like true four seasons, and this winter in Toronto has been pretty mild so far. Then again, I like cold weather and try to go out in all season. Thats the key to surviving winter, find winter activities. People don't really hibernate in winter -- this is not Nunavut or the Yukon by any means. I found 'winter' in Adelaide much colder due to lack of insulation and central heat (where I lived) and to dampness. I'm toasty warm here, I can't control my heat and due to the good insulation I find I have to open a window at times to cool things down as I get too much heat. The one thing about living here is I no longer stand out in the rain as we do get a lot of it. In Adelaide, we would stand in the rain if we've had a long spell without, just to enjoy. My last trip back for Christmas 2008 the ground was brown but on the same day I arrived we had 2-3 days of rain (at times strong) that was brilliant and made everyone happy.

Last edited by minibrings; 02-25-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Old 02-25-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:

God that sounds so nice . Can never get enough rain in Australia but then Australia is the driest and hottest continent in the world, however this doesn't excuse the fact that the southern half of Oz has been in horrible, murderous and evil droughts since 1996 so that's why so many of us "dream" of rain.

How much rain falls per year and sunshine as well for your location?

Old 02-25-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Yup.

Our "spring" or "fall" seems to be more like a typical southern Oz or Kiwi winter,
only as a whole, this period lasts 6.25 to 9 months (depending on the year)

Even before my nerve disorder and as a young boy,
I only consistantly enjoyed the time between April and mid or late September.
That was when 21 C felt warm, 16+C always felt good, and 10 C only "distinctly-cool."
October actually is warmer than April by statistics (high of 15 C vs. 12 C) but it "feels colder"
probably from the shock of rapidly dropping temps after summer,
as our August average is 25-26 C with the low about 14-15 C.
(and we go from roughly 40% cloud cover in August to 60+% by October)

*Mind you, we can get the odd day at 20 C, even 24 C or 25 C from Mar thru Nov, but those days are rare,
and the bulk of our weather (80-90% of the days in a season) are as I described.

**Understandably, in Toronto society tends to want to avoid the outdoors about 6 months a year.
I know several Aussies living in Toronto, they found the cold very hard to deal with at first but rave on about the snow as it rarely snows in Australian state capitals (Perhaps more so on the outskirts of Melbourne and Hobart). The last time it snowed in Sydney was way back in 1836! In fact some of them have come back here after years in Toronto only to go back permanently as they didn't like the hot weather. Climate is totally subjective, some people like the cold, some don't and vice versa for the heat and humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand