U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-03-2009, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,443,977 times
Reputation: 3247

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'm just listening to her now. I like it.

Can't say I hear much Keith Urban on the radio here.
IT's a really good thing you've not heard much Kasey Chambers I'm betting!

This is my favorite Wendy Matthews song.


YouTube - Wendy Matthews - The Day You Went Away
Glad you enoyed it.

I only hear him A LOT because I listen to country music a lot.

She has a pretty voice.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Sydney Australia
177 posts, read 268,741 times
Reputation: 301
Greatest Aussies are the firemen who fight bush fires in our country.

Keith Urban was actually born in New Zealand.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:02 AM
 
2,421 posts, read 3,257,539 times
Reputation: 3723
What traits make a 'Great Australian' though?...We all seem to have differing ideas?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 AM
 
9,925 posts, read 8,833,711 times
Reputation: 7162
Well for me it would be someone either born here or who comes to make this their home who makes a significant contribution or contributions to the country and is genuinely a good person.

There are Australians who have made big contributions who also turned out to be not very good people so I'd tend to discount them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 AM
 
9,925 posts, read 8,833,711 times
Reputation: 7162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Glad you enoyed it.

I only hear him A LOT because I listen to country music a lot.

She has a pretty voice.
Well she's Canadian and very talented. No wait! She was Canadian. I think she has Australian citizenship now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,801 posts, read 4,974,155 times
Reputation: 17577
I think we have a lot of great Australians, who are great in their own small way, who contribute to the big picture, versus any one or two standouts. And some weren't born here, but I don't believe that defines an Australian. If they move here and perform their greatness here for Australians, then they are Australian.

My nominees:

Dr. Victor Chang
Dr. Fiona Wood
Dr. Fred Hollows

None born here, yet they did, and do, much greatness while living here and defining themselves as Australian. Why question whether they're Australian or not, based on where they were born?

As far as actors - not impressed. Far too much attention and emphasis placed on these entertainers. Nicole, Crowe, Hugh, etc. They really do little in the whole scheme of things.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,443,977 times
Reputation: 3247
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well she's Canadian and very talented. No wait! She was Canadian. I think she has Australian citizenship now.
That could explain Canadians being unaware. (if her career has all been in Oz)

Jamie O'Neal might have made her start in Nashville, TN (America's country music capitol) so perhaps that's part of it.

*Doesn't explain why Keith Urban is well known down under though, unless he's a cross-over artist, or that he got radio play before coming to America.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 PM
 
9,096 posts, read 12,431,131 times
Reputation: 4016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
What traits make a 'Great Australian' though?...We all seem to have differing ideas?
This is true. And I do wonder if the standards are different in Oz since the population is small. For example, Michael Phelps is a great swimmer but nobody will call him a great Australian. I've heard Thorpe mentioned as a great Australian.

My criteria is they have to be an Aussie citizen (native born or otherwise) that made a contribution to their field that achieved global recognition or improved the lives of their countrymen. So Gough Whitlam could be considered a great Australian due to the creation of medicare and the abolition of the final vestiges of the white Australia policy -- both benefited millions of Australians and changed the face of Australia. One could also look at Australian nobel prize winners as great Australians as their contribution extended beyond the borders of Oz.

As a caveat I would add that they should be an upstanding citizen with no criminal record (so a tax dodger like Hogan would not count). The ability to sing the second verse (without looking at a cheat sheet) is a plus!

Last edited by minibrings; 03-03-2009 at 12:28 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 AM
 
9,925 posts, read 8,833,711 times
Reputation: 7162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That could explain Canadians being unaware. (if her career has all been in Oz)

Jamie O'Neal might have made her start in Nashville, TN (America's country music capitol) so perhaps that's part of it.

*Doesn't explain why Keith Urban is well known down under though, unless he's a cross-over artist, or that he got radio play before coming to America.
It's an interesting story actually. I saw an interview with her ages ago on the tele and she was saying that she initially joined John Farnham as a back up singer when he was touring Canada. She's friends with Vanetta Fields I think, John's long term back up singer. Anyway, she came out here when they returned home to tour and never left. She said she'd not have got the opportunities to record in Canada that she got here in Oz. And she was so happy she got the opportunity she applied for residency and became an Australian citizen.

Keith is well known down under because of Nicole.

I know there was a period of time here in Oz if you were a country singer you just packed up as soon as you were able and headed for Nashville.
I think that's changed somewhat as we've developed more of our own industry especially the stuff coming out of Tamworth.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 AM
 
2,421 posts, read 3,257,539 times
Reputation: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
This is true. And I do wonder if the standards are different in Oz since the population is small. For example, Michael Phelps is a great swimmer but nobody will call him a great Australian. I've heard Thorpe mentioned as a great Australian.

My criteria is they have to be an Aussie citizen (native born or otherwise) that made a contribution to their field that achieved global recognition or improved the lives of their countrymen. So Gough Whitlam could be considered a great Australian due to the creation of medicare and the abolition of the final vestiges of the white Australia policy -- both benefited millions of Australians and changed the face of Australia. One could also look at Australian nobel prize winners as great Australians as their contribution extended beyond the borders of Oz.

As a caveat I would add that they should be an upstanding citizen with no criminal record (so a tax dodger like Hogan would not count). The ability to sing the second verse (without looking at a cheat sheet) is a plus!
Michael Phelps is an Australian?

I think. A great Australian should be someone who can show pride in the country and who wants to see the country strive.

Now what about the ability to sing all five verses?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 03-04-2009 at 07:48 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top