Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I've sampled a bit of the nightlife of Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, of course, been to the other capitals but not really had a chance to check out clubs, bars, pubs.etc. Which city do you think has the best nightlife, and the best nightlife district? Also how would you compare their 'styles' or 'tones'?

Sydney is no doubt the clubbing capital of Oz. Everything is glitzy and spacey. Not as seedy as it used to be too, especially Kings Cross. Probably the most vibrant city for nightlife.

Melbourne still has more of a pub culture...Toorak has some good spots too. Best for dining out late.

Adelaide is most like Melbourne. More of a rock/live and hip hop town than dance music. Alright, but quite rowdy for it's size.

Perth is quite good for it's size actually, but too crammed along certain street, and it doesn't feel very inviting. Northbridge has quite a few good places for dance/house, and good for live music. Too much riff-raff though.

Brisbane, I would imagine is pretty good. Hobart is mostly pubs and stuff, but has some good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Perth is quite good for it's size actually, but too crammed along certain street, and it doesn't feel very inviting. Northbridge has quite a few good places for dance/house, and good for live music. Too much riff-raff though.
Well, with the way things are going these days here in "Dullsville", with cops who try to stop drunken brawls being hospitalised & crippled, and with our sick joke of a "justice" system saying that's perfectly okay to do, Perth's nightlife is on the way down.

I always feel an undercurrent of unease when we're out at night in Perth. Never feel that in Melbourne. My brother takes us out to spots there, small places with civilised people versus the loud swill joints and beer barns that are pretty much the only nightlife here. Perth has far too many braindead alcoholic ferals and bogans to have a decent nightlife. You see them and you can tell, as plain as day, from their body language and facial expressions, they're looking for a fight. They spoil it for everyone. Them and the drunken 18 year olds making complete idiots of themselves screeching, falling on the ground, vomiting over themselves.

It's one of those things I absolutely hate about Perth.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Well, with the way things are going these days here in "Dullsville", with cops who try to stop drunken brawls being hospitalised & crippled, and with our sick joke of a "justice" system saying that's perfectly okay to do, Perth's nightlife is on the way down.

I always feel an undercurrent of unease when we're out at night in Perth. Never feel that in Melbourne. My brother takes us out to spots there, small places with civilised people versus the loud swill joints and beer barns that are pretty much the only nightlife here. Perth has far too many braindead alcoholic ferals and bogans to have a decent nightlife. You see them and you can tell, as plain as day, from their body language and facial expressions, they're looking for a fight. They spoil it for everyone. Them and the drunken 18 year olds making complete idiots of themselves screeching, falling on the ground, vomiting over themselves.

It's one of those things I absolutely hate about Perth.
Yes, I was surprised by how comparatively civilized the Nightlife in Melbourne was. Since it was a bigger city I was expecting for rowdiness but the opposite is true. It's just a lot more pleasant to be in at night, and the city itself actually feels very safe for a city that size.

Yes I'm all too familiar with the animals and the ferals. Big buff blokes who try to stir you up and start something, or those girls screaming their heads off for no other reason than for people to notice their uncouth, shameless behaviour.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
I hate to be so hard on Perth, but it's just so damn frustrating, aggravating to have this place spoiled like this and the legal system encourage it. I hate it. It drives me crazy.

And it makes me even more nervous for my own kids. They like the nightlife, as any normal young person would. Hey, even us "old farts" like it too . Maybe not the nightclubs, where we'd feel ancient, but like Northbridge which has some really good restaurants, and Freo, but if you're out beyond 10pm, or even earlier, it just gets too scary. You're afraid of accidentally bumping into someone, who's staggering in your way anyway, and coming to grief. And then to top it all off, watch as the "justice" system excuses it. It just pi**es me off.

I know Melbourne has its bad spots too, but it seems easier to avoid them or not have to be too close to them. Bigger city, I guess. Here, Perth, the real estate that the nightlife sits on is small, and you can't avoid the feral drunks and the weirdos.

Even the train station, is weird. After the footie last week, we were waiting for a train and some guy lights up a cigarette, gets told there's no smoking by a woman, and then he starts heaping abuse at her with the foulest language, even threatening. A few other people, including my husband and myself, came to her rescue, basically stood by her, as a show of numbers, and stared this moron down til he walked away. Where are the train guards? Oh, they're only used during peak hour when working people are going to and from work, and there's very little problem. Nice and safe time. Real helpful. So many people I know refuse to use the trains at night because of this. So the whole don't drink and drive thing is kind of hard to stick to because the train stations aren't safe, and the taxi system is horrendous.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:48 AM

Taxi queues, arghhh...I applaud Transperth for making the Clarkson to Mandurah line run until 3 am on Saturday nights (ideally they'd run to 6 am and through into Sunday morning but one step at a time), the new Perth Underground station is quite good, I think, but the Perth Railway Station has always felt unsafe at night.

And yes, that's the problem with going on clubbing here in Perth. It's usually alright, but one scuffle, and some moron disfigures you, or 'king hits' you, and we all know what that can lead to. I just feel it's too claustrophobic, too many drunk people in one area, and it would really help if they spread things out, not having everything crammed onto a strip. That goes from James Street and South Terrace. In addition there's lots of traffic, people just crossing the road whenever they please, drongo drivers who'll run you down, too many cops standing around doing jack all. What's more, there are still too many dark alleyways. When you hear of people getting bashed it's often on Roe Street which is secluded and out of the way. The police don't go there but that's where alot of the 'dodgy stuff' happens.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 PM

27 posts, read 70,901 times
Ur comments on Perth Vichel r spot on...well said
melbourne is the place..shame about their crapola climate

Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Def. Melbourne. Adelaide's nightlife is.....dark. Way too many hoons for such a small town. Sydney is pricey and just not worth it if you're not into rap/techno yadda yadday...
Melbourne is IT, baby!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
or those girls screaming their heads off for no other reason than for people to notice their uncouth, shameless behaviour.
I don't believe I've ever witnessed the sort of behavior that you describe.
What in particular would they scream about?

On the rare occaision I do hear a girl yell, drunk or not,
is because she believes that she's either threatened in some way,
whether it be potential serious physical harm,
or just socially from other girls. ("cat-fighting")

Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I don't believe I've ever witnessed the sort of behavior that you describe.
What in particular would they scream about?

On the rare occaision I do hear a girl yell, drunk or not,
is because she believes that she's either threatened in some way,
whether it be potential serious physical harm,
or just socially from other girls. ("cat-fighting")
The Australian female is another species altogether (not to make any generalisations)...They just scream and yell at the top of their voices for no other reason than they want to be loud and 'out there' I suppose. Yelling out of vehicles is also commonplace by both genders.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
For me, definitely Sydney, many parties of all sorts to cater for everyone's tastes. Melbourne is good too but not as great as Sydney. Anywhere else in Oz doesn't come a close second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand