Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ Now that the Australian cities' densities subject has been beat-to-death ()

How about a new topic for Aussie improvements?
- Free use of toilets at any establishment

This is pretty much expected in Canada, though I'm not sure as to if owners can forbid non-customers from using their facilities. Probably can, but I rarely see these "suggestions" enforced. Most establishments do not have signs or policies claiming their restrooms are for customers and staff only. It is usually implied that their restrooms are meant like a public service, provided you don't vandalize them. Regardless of the establishment, I am unaware of "pay-toilets" (coin-operated locking devices) existing anywhere in Canada.

In another thread somewhere,
I believe I read that some places charge money to access the bathrooms or toilets in Australia,
which probably increases the frequency of public-urination.
Was that a thread-killer?

I don't know if that is true, but I think Trimac told me about "pay toilets"
and in another converstation most/many back alleys, stairwells etc. smell.
He could have been exaggarating, and/or it could be a Perth-specific issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Its either this thread is dead or people are getting tired of talking to you about the weather and want to move on.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Was that a thread-killer?

I don't know if that is true, but I think Trimac told me about "pay toilets"
and in another converstation most/many back alleys, stairwells etc. smell.
He could have been exaggarating, and/or it could be a Perth-specific issue.
Actually I only know of one pay toilet in Perth, Coldy. The train station in the city, where they have a desk at the front and you have to pay 50 cents to use it ($2 to use the showers). Actually, you don't just pay for the toilet but to use the 'rest centre' in general which is quite a nice view too so I guess it's not too bad.

Yes alot of the alleyways in the city stink of **** - worse than the toilets. Not only that you can see the puddles of urine on the ground .

Old 04-02-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually I only know of one pay toilet in Perth, Coldy. The train station in the city, where they have a desk at the front and you have to pay 50 cents to use it ($2 to use the showers). Actually, you don't just pay for the toilet but to use the 'rest centre' in general which is quite a nice view too so I guess it's not too bad.

Yes alot of the alleyways in the city stink of **** - worse than the toilets. Not only that you can see the puddles of urine on the ground .
^^ So Oz needs more toilets?

Reminds me of a Russell Peters joke about going to India for the first time.
He felt "so Indian" before he stepped off the plane,
(raised with their language an culture through his parents and "community" as a 1st generation Canadian)
and then he was hit with a "wall of smell" which made him realize how Canadian he was.

I suppose that is a negative to being virtually-rainless for 5 months a year.
Toronto rarely goes rainless for more than a few weeks, which probably helps keep things from staying too dirty.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:45 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
Melbounre is lucky to go rainless for 2 weeks, let alone bloody 5 month which Perfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffff are blessed with

Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Melbounre is lucky to go rainless for 2 weeks, let alone bloody 5 month which Perfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffff are blessed with
Ditto with Toronto; it makes tv news when we are rainless beyond 14 days.

But, being rainless could lead to higher amounts of griminess.
I like the smell of the air after a rain has passed; preferably with the sun popping out.

I suppose you wouldn't want to move there;
probably spend most of your time yelling at Perthlings?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
Perfffoids **** me off, constantly banging on about how awsome their climate is, how they are the spitting image of the surface of the sun etc. But that town is about 20 years behind modern day Australia. Ever tried shopping on a Saturday or Sunday or after 5pm on a weekday there....you'd know what I mean!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Perfffoids **** me off, constantly banging on about how awsome their climate is, how they are the spitting image of the surface of the sun etc. But that town is about 20 years behind modern day Australia. Ever tried shopping on a Saturday or Sunday or after 5pm on a weekday there....you'd know what I mean!
LOL! Yup, our climate's awesome, imo. Loads of sunshine. Maybe a bit too much heat sometimes but overall pretty awesome. We actually got some rain last night, but it's most welcomed.

Only 20 years behind the modern day Australia? You're being too kind.

And yes, the mad rush of trying to buy your groceries before the shops close at their ridiculous times that don't fit modern day life. That I won't miss.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I'm a bit tired about hearing that Perth is so far behind, we're not THAT backwards compared to the rest of Australia anymore. We have a subway (albeit between all of three stations!), a world class convention centre (or a giant cocroach, whatever way you look at it!) and alot of modern developments. Life in the suburbs can be a bit behind the times but that's the case all over Australia not just Perth.

As for the climate, I'm grateful for it but it's just boring sometimes. Moving to Melbourne might be a nice change climate-wise as well.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimac20 View Post
i'm a bit tired about hearing that perth is so far behind, we're not that backwards compared to the rest of australia anymore. We have a subway (albeit between all of three stations!), a world class convention centre (or a giant cocroach, whatever way you look at it!) and alot of modern developments. Life in the suburbs can be a bit behind the times but that's the case all over australia not just perth.

As for the climate, i'm grateful for it but it's just boring sometimes. Moving to melbourne might be a nice change climate-wise as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalaussie View Post
'perth is kind of like 1975...but with mobile phones'

whinger log « the worst of perth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand