Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 03:59 AM

512 posts, read 1,184,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Sorry mate, people never hated Poles in the US or Canada. There aren't that many to begin with and stay in their own pockets. I've never heard of any anti-Pole discrimination and I know quite a few Polskis. have you ever lived in the US or Canada and not just visited?
Maybe not hated, but discriminated, both in US and Canada. There were plenty of Polish jokes there. I have lived in Chicago for 4 yrs and never been discriminated but people who had come there like 20 years earlier were treated sometimes as 2nd class whites. And it still happens in the UK where Poles went to work (legally) after 2004 (Poland joined EU). Some Brits simply hate us because many don't speak English, take their jobs or for some other reasons.

Anti-Polish sentiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am almost sure that if it were Poles who go en masse to Australia, not Indians, Chinese etc, people would accuse Poles of the same what they accuse Indians, Chinese of..

And do you think it is easy for Chinese to learn English or melt in your culture? Try to learn Chinese or imagine how hard it'd be to forget your aussie habits..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
No, not in North Queensland. (generally bushfires aren't a concern in the wet tropics) Victoria and Tasmania. Oaks, elms, poplars, maples grow well there
Townsville is wet tropics?
Landscape looks as dry as a typical Mexican town to me.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:36 PM

9 posts, read 24,392 times
multiculturalism is an aristocratic idea. when there is no consensus of opinion on the public body, there is little opposition. divide and conquer.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:06 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,863,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Townsville is wet tropics?
Landscape looks as dry as a typical Mexican town to me.
No, it is dry tropics, but from about Ingham to the north and past Ayr to the south of Townsville is wet tropics.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:28 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
Maybe not hated, but discriminated, both in US and Canada. There were plenty of Polish jokes there. I have lived in Chicago for 4 yrs and never been discriminated but people who had come there like 20 years earlier were treated sometimes as 2nd class whites. And it still happens in the UK where Poles went to work (legally) after 2004 (Poland joined EU). Some Brits simply hate us because many don't speak English, take their jobs or for some other reasons.

I am almost sure that if it were Poles who go en masse to Australia, not Indians, Chinese etc, people would accuse Poles of the same what they accuse Indians, Chinese of..

And do you think it is easy for Chinese to learn English or melt in your culture? Try to learn Chinese or imagine how hard it'd be to forget your aussie habits..
First of, careful using Wiki as a link. Its not a recognized academic source. Second, did you read the article? It does not mention Canada. And in the US it talks about anti-Polish sentiment in the West with no links to academic sources. So its not a very good academic link. It does talk about Polish jokes, which were probably brought over by German immigrants. But I've heard Polish, Asian, Indian, Aglo-Saxon American jokes in the US. I personally love Polles, Polish food.. and Polish vodka! When I lived in Adelaide I missed a good stuffed cabbage and pieirogi (especially fruit pierogis). But I digress. Jokes are not necesarily indicative of discriminatation. Id love it if you can back up your earlier statement with published academic sources as I like to learn.

Finally, of course its difficult for immigrants who move to an entirely different culture to fit in. Nobody is arguing this. What point were you trying to make? And of course the children born IN Australia will assimilate much better than their immigrant parents.

Last edited by minibrings; 04-24-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 05:33 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,863,252 times
Quote:
I did learn Chinese.. easy peasy! And Ive lived in the states for most of my life, west coast, mid west, east coast.. never seen discrimination pointed directly at Poles. I've heard Polish jokes. But I've also heard Chinese, Indian, Anglo-Saxon american jokes.
And Irish jokes, and Swedish jokes, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post

It seems most of the anti-Polish sentiment was and is in Europe, not the New World or Antipodes.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:45 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
And Irish jokes, and Swedish jokes, and...

It seems most of the anti-Polish sentiment was and is in Europe, not the New World or Antipodes.
Again, I'm still not allowed to rep you again.

There is also a fair bit of discrimination in Poland as well. In WWII they were not the most protective of their Jewish citizenry. And I had no idea there were so many Vietnamese in Poland:
Disappearing in the crowd: Vietnamese immigrants in Poland

the things you learn when you google.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:42 PM

121 posts, read 244,498 times
Quote:
Again, I'm still not allowed to rep you again.

There is also a fair bit of discrimination in Poland as well. In WWII they were not the most protective of their Jewish citizenry. And I had no idea there were so many Vietnamese in Poland:
Disappearing in the crowd: Vietnamese immigrants in Poland

the things you learn when you google.
There's also plenty of Vietnamese in Prague, Czech Republic

Old 04-24-2010, 08:03 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
No, it is dry tropics, but from about Ingham to the north and past Ayr to the south of Townsville is wet tropics.
Which is why I thought you were describing trees planted around Townsville to have lower combustability.

(Do the drier parts of north QLD get bush fires on a regular basis? )

Old 04-24-2010, 08:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldew View Post
There's also plenty of Vietnamese in Prague, Czech Republic
Interesting, why would they be going to Poland? Aren't they kind of economically still re-building?

I do know quite a few Asians live in France, moreso Paris. I met a half Chinese half Vietnamese Parisian, was kind of cool hearing his French English accent! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand