Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 AM

16 posts, read 35,046 times

Advertisements

Well i found this topic extremely interesting so i created an account to discuss my situation.
Im a hispanic of mixed ancestry (non-white) living in Latinamerica (Third World country) and currenty studying at a privately funded university. Ive been planning to finish my studies or getting a master's degree in Australia. One of the reasons for this is because I have always wanted to visit your country and because a good friend of mine is studying there already.

I dont know what aussies think of hispanics as a whole, but let me speak for my self, im not poor or uneducated. I can speak 3 languages (spanish, fench and english), and im only 20.
I know many of your foreign citizens and students (indians for example) have been physically and verbally abused for being different. And lets be honest, theyre not there for the welfare .
So how am i unfit for your society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,262,069 times
If you want an honest opinion of what it is like here, talk to your friend. I am sure you'll get racist indicents anywhere in the world, some of it more direct than others.

What tends to irk me is that incident with the Indian student was blown out of all proportion. Was it actually proved it was racially motivated?? If so, that is not good form, but there are literally thousands of Indian students studying in Australia so invariably some of them will fall foul to become crime victims.

Rather than assessing a country based on (from what I believe) ridiculously hyped media stories, best to come here and see for yourself. If you have a positive attitude, accept the fact that there will be sweet and sour, good days and bad days, then I am sure you'll enjoy the experience. At least then your opinions will be based on real experience rather than what you've read or heard about.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfr88 View Post
White Supremacist agenda? I'm pointing out what science has said all along. Something that was once even common sense. No amount of political correctness can hide the facts. Black Africans were never under the same genetic pressures as the people in Eurasia were. IQ test, psychometric testing and various other tests done over 100 years have shown that different races have developed different levels of intelligence. Its no surprise to me that Western and North Asian societies are the most advanced. Genetics and culture go hand-in-hand. You really believe that Japanese culture would continue on if Japan's population were to be replaced by blacks and Australian Aborigines? C'mon lets not kid ourselves. If you can show evidence of blacks and Aborigines being equally intelligent then I would like to see it.
I'd like to see just a fraction of this vast mass of scientific proof you speak about.

Whites who are brought up in the same way as aborigines behave exactly like they do; and vice versa. It's nothing to do with race it's your upbringing. Culture is to do with pot luck - your ancestors were probably roaming around in bear-skins while the Greeks and the Romans were building cities, discussing great philosophical questions, undertaking grand architectural feats. By this reckoning, they were savages and barbarians...do you admit then that they were objectively stupider because of this? A few hundred years later they were leading Europe, because of their newfound civilisation. Africa actually wasn't only inhabited by tribespeople and 'savages' as you'd like to think of them. Many civilisations flourished there. Aborigines had no need to build cities and stuff because they managed to survive just fine off the land. Why is the civilised way of life any better than living in harmony with Mother Nature?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
If you want an honest opinion of what it is like here, talk to your friend. I am sure you'll get racist indicents anywhere in the world, some of it more direct than others.

What tends to irk me is that incident with the Indian student was blown out of all proportion. Was it actually proved it was racially motivated?? If so, that is not good form, but there are literally thousands of Indian students studying in Australia so invariably some of them will fall foul to become crime victims.

Rather than assessing a country based on (from what I believe) ridiculously hyped media stories, best to come here and see for yourself. If you have a positive attitude, accept the fact that there will be sweet and sour, good days and bad days, then I am sure you'll enjoy the experience. At least then your opinions will be based on real experience rather than what you've read or heard about.
Too right, ADGreen. Some like to think that because we're actually tolerant of people regardless of race, religion etc we tolerate this kind of irrational divisive fear-mongering. This is not indicative of any racial vendetta against Indians, and like you say there's a good chance the attackers were Indians themselves, as they usually are.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Oh really? What is this original Australian culture you speak of? Australia is still a white country whether you like it or not, its up to us who comes here. This is how every country works. All nations or tribes have been conquered through out history whether it was 1000 years ago or only a few hundred ago. If you're gonna play this game then you should apply it to Japan, China, Iran, Israel, etc. and tell them that their cultures dont matter. See how far you get.

Japan's culture has heavy influences from the Chinese and same goes with the Koreans. There are a lot of similarities between them. You know Koreans may as well be Japanese and vica versa by your logic. Australia was once heavily influenced by the British but our countries are not the same character today.
Well, you can stick to your outdated racist imperialist warmongering opinions, I don't care. I don't care about Australia, either, I just stumbled upon this ridiculous thread title on the overview page.
You may see Australia as a white country, what most people around the world who are interested in Australia in the first place, care about is its aborigines and nature, such as kangaroos and koala bears, or the reefs, all things that would be there just the same if no white man had ever set a foot on that continent.
I would not move to Australia even if they handed me a permanent residency permit plus a million $ on a silver platter

Of course China and Japan are similar, I never said anything else. They are a cultural cluster so to speak, just like the WASP countries of British heritage are.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
you're making blanket racial remarks and calling other peoples intents racist. It's funny.
I guess you don't know what racism actually means. I am white myself and have no problem with that. But that does not prevent me from acknowledging that other people of my race have done lots of bad things throughout history.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Many Australians who live and work overseas go to Britain or North America purely out of convenience, ie as it another English speaking country-ie don't have to learn a new language - and to experience a different culture as well as travel.
I never did it, but know plenty who have.
Australia has digressed enough away from British culture to be considered a poor cousin to it.
I for one like multiculturism, and am a republican not a monarchist, Irish Catholic (3rd generation - had relatives in the clergy), and don't have any affinity with Britain.
1. Language is key in terms of culture.
2. The differences you mention are actually not that important. You may see it differently, but looking at it from a global perspective, the differences between Britain, Canada, the US and Australia are minor. Australians moving to Nigeria or India or Saudi-Arabia or Brazil know what I am talking about.
It reminds me of the way Germans and Austrians and German-speaking Swiss try to make themselves as different from each other as possible, although or because they know they are actually very similar.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:17 AM

42 posts, read 59,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, you can stick to your outdated racist imperialist warmongering opinions, I don't care. I don't care about Australia, either, I just stumbled upon this ridiculous thread title on the overview page.
You may see Australia as a white country, what most people around the world who are interested in Australia in the first place, care about is its aborigines and nature, such as kangaroos and koala bears, or the reefs, all things that would be there just the same if no white man had ever set a foot on that continent.
I would not move to Australia even if they handed me a permanent residency permit plus a million $ on a silver platter

Of course China and Japan are similar, I never said anything else. They are a cultural cluster so to speak, just like the WASP countries of British heritage are.
Lol i don't care either. I know who my people are and what our culture is. I don't need insolent ***** like you to deny our existence. Only losers resort to the "racist" card cause you have no argument. You seem like you have an inferiority complex towards us, but that's ok, you can let it all out

I'm glad to hear you wont be here. We should make a law to not let gronks in like you.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Lol i don't care either. I know who my people are and what our culture is. I don't need insolent ***** like you to deny our existence. Only losers resort to the "racist" card cause you have no argument. You seem like you have an inferiority complex towards us, but that's ok, you can let it all out

I'm glad to hear you wont be here. We should make a law to not let gronks in like you.
He he, at least you're making us laugh

Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 AM

42 posts, read 59,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
He he, at least you're making us laugh
Nice come back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand