Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfr88 View Post
What did we steal? There was nothing here to begin with. White Australians built this country therefore we make the rules and no one else. Every country exists cause of war and conquest. That's just history. Jazz a cultural achievement? Don't get me started on racism.
Yes, what a great country, built on genocide... It was the Aborigines' land, regardless of what they did or did not do with it or on it.

Yes, indeed, Jazz is a cultural achievement, like classical music centuries ago in Europe.
Oh sorry, I forgot Kylie Minogue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 AM

42 posts, read 59,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, what a great country, built on genocide... It was the Aborigines' land, regardless of what they did or did not do with it or on it.

Yes, indeed, Jazz is a cultural achievement, like classical music centuries ago in Europe.
Oh sorry, I forgot Kylie Minogue
If there was an intention of genocide there wouldn't be any Aborigines today. You don't know much about history from the looks of it. Their claim to this continent is as good as a kangaroo's. Land is nothing if you don't develop it.
Classical music > Jazz

Old 04-13-2010, 07:15 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Nooo not yet, I want to though. Survivoman? Is he like Bear Grylls?!
Dunno that guy, I will have to look him up.

YouTube - Survivorman Australian outback Part 3 of 5

Maybe he doesn't eat them raw, but he's entertaining to watch.
About 2 minutes he starts hunting for wichetty grubs.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
If there was an intention of genocide there wouldn't be any Aborigines today. You don't know much about history from the looks of it. Their claim to this continent is as good as a kangaroo's. Land is nothing if you don't develop it.
Classical music > Jazz
Ok, attempted genocide. Didn't quite work out as planned, just like in the States.

Your idea of land is odd. When someone owns land, it is their business whether they do something with it, and if so, what. Your reasoning is like saying anyone can take my money away because I have not bought anything with it, yet

Jazz was certainly influenced by classical music, but just as much if not more so by African music that was still present in the US thanks to the African-Americans. Anyway, it was developed in the States. There would be no Jazz without the US. That was my point. Maybe Australia would have developed culture, too, if it had not been such a boring white country from the beginning. It is like a bigger version of North Dakota

Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,735 times
Interesting. The Portuguese lecturing about colonisation.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 04-13-2010 at 08:01 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Ok, attempted genocide. Didn't quite work out as planned, just like in the States.

Your idea of land is odd. When someone owns land, it is their business whether they do something with it, and if so, what. Your reasoning is like saying anyone can take my money away because I have not bought anything with it, yet

Jazz was certainly influenced by classical music, but just as much if not more so by African music that was still present in the US thanks to the African-Americans. Anyway, it was developed in the States. There would be no Jazz without the US. That was my point. Maybe Australia would have developed culture, too, if it had not been such a boring white country from the beginning. It is like a bigger version of North Dakota

If the English wanted to wipe out the Aborigines they could of easily done so.

Aborigines didn't own land and had no concept of Australia as continental entity. It would be more correct to say that they belonged to the "Dreamtime". Either way they're claim to this place is null.

Jazz is fine but its not the greatest thing out there. There is more to culture then just music. Would you say that Japan, China or Vietnam is boring cause they're just populated by Asians? If we're a "boring white country" then the coloured hordes of the world wouldn't be risking their lives to come here.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Interesting. The Portuguese lecturing about colonisation.
Neuling did not kill natives in Brazil, did he?

It's all of our duty as human beings to criticise the wrongs of the past regardless of what our ancestors did.

A lesson Johnny should have learned. I'm sick of this, 'but I didn't personally do it to them' attitude. Our farms and houses are built on the hunting grounds of aborigines, giving it back may be going too far but the least we can do is acknowledge we took it from them.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
If the English wanted to wipe out the Aborigines they could of easily done so.

Aborigines didn't own land and had no concept of Australia as continental entity. It would be more correct to say that they belonged to the "Dreamtime". Either way they're claim to this place is null.

Jazz is fine but its not the greatest thing out there. There is more to culture then just music. Would you say that Japan, China or Vietnam is boring cause they're just populated by Asians? If we're a "boring white country" then the coloured hordes of the world wouldn't be risking their lives to come here.
Even after 40,000 years?

What claim do the English or anyone else have to anywhere then?

Just because they built a few roads and houses?

Sorry but that kind of hypocrisy is not worth answering to.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Even after 40,000 years?

If you like to put it that way then it was theirs during their time, but not anymore.

We built a first world country here and want to live in a society which reflects our people. The Aborigines resisted colonization now its time we did too (put an end to mass "immigration").

Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Even after 40,000 years?

Thanks, I appreciate there is someone with an objective perspective.
I see it the same way. They got there tens of thousands of years ago, were the first humans to do so. The continent was their hunting ground.
Naturally they did not get a written paper 40000 or more years ago saying it is their land.
The same happened in Africa when the Bantus moved to southern Africa a few thousand years ago and took the land from the Bushmen, who had lived there forever as hunters and gatherers.

But I guess one needs to officially take the land away from aboriginal people in order to be able to exploit the resources on their land.

I am not saying that those things can be undone, the aboriginals have already been turned into a shadow of themselves. But one can at least be so fair as to admit what happened, apologize and maybe compensate in a way that everyone can life with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand