Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 12:32 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times

Advertisements

From 11/25/2016

Until the 2017 Daytona 500

93 days
or
25.48% of a common year (365 days)
or
13 weeks and 2 days
or
2232 hours
or
133,920 minutes
or
8,035,200 seconds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 12:39 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Can't wait!

Old 11-29-2016, 06:07 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
There are some interesting story lines...

How will Jr fare being back behind the wheel? Will 2017 be his last year in Cup?

Who will be the break through driver in 2017??

Will Jimmy Johnson win his 8th title??

Old 11-30-2016, 08:27 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
There are some interesting story lines...

How will Jr fare being back behind the wheel? Will 2017 be his last year in Cup?

Who will be the break through driver in 2017??

Will Jimmy Johnson win his 8th title??
Jr has been a 15th place driver for years now, who occasionally wins. I dont see that changing. Last year in Cup, nah, unless something happens, again.

Breakthrough driver, Hmmm, tough one but Ill say Elliott will do much better.

Only if Nascar wants him to. (Just my opinion)

Didnt see it mentioned in te 2016 thread, but Roush is only runing 2 cars next year.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
[quote=UpstateJohn;46355075]Jr has been a 15th place driver for years now, who occasionally wins. I dont see that changing. Last year in Cup, nah, unless something happens, again.

Breakthrough driver, Hmmm, tough one but Ill say Elliott will do much better.

Only if Nascar wants him to. (Just my opinion)

Didnt see it mentioned in te 2016 thread, but Roush is only runing 2 cars next year.[/QUOTE]

That will be an improvement, only two cars running outside the top 20 instead of three.

Breakthrough driver, Blaney. Chase has already broken through, wins coming in 2017.

Jr will still be most popular but IMO not Chase quality.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
That will be an improvement, only two cars running outside the top 20 instead of three.

Breakthrough driver, Blaney. Chase has already broken through, wins coming in 2017.

Jr will still be most popular but IMO not Chase quality.
If I look into my hazy crystal ball..

Earnhardt wins a plate race, most likely Daytona, and qualifies for the chase for the first "feel good" story of the year.

The million dollar question for me is how Eric Jones does. And.. Where Matt Kenseth lands. I'm holding on to that one that Kenseth moves on after this year. Remember that a sponsor is still needed for the 20 for the majority of races in 2017. DeWalt is there for 15, but Dollar General is gone. If they get a long-term sponsor tied to Kenseth, then Jones might stay at FRR. Which would then probably mean that Hamlin is on the hot seat as the next driver with a contract to come up, a sponsor that.. Might pull out. With UPS gone, I wonder if FedEx has enough reason to stay. I think both driver and sponsor are up after 2018. They have to find a spot for Daniel Suarez in the next couple of years.

I have no doubt that Jones wins RoTY.. Who else is competing for it? Ty Dillon in the #13..

I think Jones, if he does well, moves to the 20 bringing the 5 Hour Energy sponsorship with him to round out that car in 2018. Edwards is resigned for 3 more years keeping Subway and 'his' sponsors, along with a new major sponsor (I think Arris leaves)

HScott closes up shop. 44 Petty team does not run. We see the establishment of a new team.. My guess.. A reformation of Tommy Baldwin Racing. He's going to show up and run and get another charter to sell. I think that's his game plan.. And since there will only be 37 teams, give or take, at each track.. Should be decently easy to pull off.. Because he has the infrastructure already in place whereas anyone else coming in has to start from scratch.

I think one of two teams will expand to fill the field.. Either Go FAS with Frankie Stoddard starts bringing two cars or BK Racing starts bringing 3 or 4.. or both. Most fields will still be 40 cars. Earning a Charter and then selling it will be the next big goal of the small teams.

Title sponsor.. Is going to be very short term. 3 years. Won't be announced until January. NASCAR will take a significant hit on the money they get from them.

BuschFiniWide series is going to be the most exiting racing to watch. "Exciting" being a relative term. Lots of young drivers may take us back to the era of the late 90's, early 00's where you have a few good, solid future stars generated.. As well as lots of flotsam (Todd Kluever, Danny O'Quinn, Burney Lamar, Stephen Leicht, Erik Darnell).. So, you're going to have new domination from young drivers.. and a lot of torn up racecars. Bubba Wallace is set to be a next big star, but is with the wrong team.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:07 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If I look into my hazy crystal ball..

Title sponsor.. Is going to be very short term. 3 years. Won't be announced until January. NASCAR will take a significant hit on the money they get from them.
Article on Jayski today speculated the term "CUP" may no longer be used.

That is too bad.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:26 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Article on Jayski today speculated the term "CUP" may no longer be used.

That is too bad.
Maybe they should go back to the original name "NASCAR Grand National Series" like it was before they convinced a sponsor (Winston) to help make the France family billionaires.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:52 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times
It seems Monster Energy will be the new sponsor. Does that mean that starting next season, Johnson will be referred to as last seasons' Monster Energy champion. Will Dale Sr., when he is mentioned, be a 7-time Monster Energy champion? They get a new sponsor and then sell the history along with it.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:22 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
We may see Dodge return to NASCAR. No word if they will be in the "premier" (formerly Cup) series or not.

It would mostly take them until 2018, since they have to find a team that wants to sign with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing