Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:08 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Always wondered about those burnouts over the last few years when they really shredded those tires!

Older article, but there are current ones similar to this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tion/73473804/
Thanks for the article. I had seen the same types earlier and it made me wonder why NASCAR allows the burnouts? You would think it would be just one more rule for them to enforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 09:23 AM

576 posts, read 831,416 times
I used to eat, drink, sleep, and breathe NASCAR. Very rarely missed a race on tv. When Brian France took over from his dad, he thought he had a better way and that it all centered around money. He sucked up to the corporations for more sponsorships and they made demands about how he had to clean up the sport because they did not want to be associated with the redneck mentality. He was only too happy to oblige. What he failed to account for was that most of his fans were rednecks (or at least closet rednecks like me! ).

So as the cars became more IROC like and the drivers were punished for being human, the fans started leaving the exits. A couple months ago, I seen a NASCRAP race was on and so I decided to watch it for a while because I hadn't watched a race in years. I could only take about 10 minutes of it. So boring! The drivers are all pretty boys with rehearsed speaking skills (like those God awful politicians!), the cars are all equal (heaven forbid Ford should dominate one year and Chevy the next!), and then they stopped the race right in the middle because it was the end of a segment!!! What the??? That was when I changed the channel. It was comforting to know that all these years that I have not been watching, I haven't missed much!

Old 09-17-2017, 10:09 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
haha yeah, segment racing is horrible and a horrible idea.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:32 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Actually, I think segments are a great idea if we're going to continue to have the playoffs. It ensures that guys like Truex, who dominated the regular season, won't get knocked out in the first couple rounds.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:28 AM

34 posts, read 23,477 times
This will likely be my last year watching. So many changes, loss of veterans like Gordon, Stewart, and Earnhardt, plus I just have too much going on to devote to watching 3 hour races. If I get chances to, I turn on PRN radio and listen while doing something else, but that's about it. At least PRN is still good.

Why else it might be failing has to do with a shift in what kids these days are interested in. Now its cell phones, computers, technology, video games....not cars, mechanics, tinkering.....

Old 10-09-2017, 04:49 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootopia View Post
This will likely be my last year watching. So many changes, loss of veterans like Gordon, Stewart, and Earnhardt, plus I just have too much going on to devote to watching 3 hour races. If I get chances to, I turn on PRN radio and listen while doing something else, but that's about it. At least PRN is still good.

Why else it might be failing has to do with a shift in what kids these days are interested in. Now its cell phones, computers, technology, video games....not cars, mechanics, tinkering.....
The part about retirements.. You just can't change that. I tend to agree that the up and coming drivers don't have the feel of 'replacements' for who is being lost. But.. Did anyone think that Jeff Burton would be what he turned out to be in 94 or so when he was driving for the Stavola Brothers? Not talking about the quality of him as a driver, but the spokesman for the garage. So.. Got to give them time.

As for MRN and PRN... Always better IMO to listen to the radio broadcasts. They have the best announcers because.. Well, they have to. You really have to paint a bigger picture on radio than on TV.

I still miss Bestwick. You get me a booth of Bestwick, Benny Parsons and Ned Jarrett.. Not sure it could get a whole lot better. Now.. Ken Squire and Barney Hall were better than Bestwick, but his youth really served him well calling the races.

I absolutely hated Buddy Baker calling races in the day on TNN.. Loved him on SiriusXM tho.. And Eli Gold holds a special level of disgust for me.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:47 PM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Do you think NASCAR will resort to pre packaged cars put together by a third party and handed over to the teams to race?

In similar fashion to the IROC races?

It would keep costs down and teams would no longer have to spend so much on R and D with a car that has all it features designed in and each team has the same exact car.

Grasping at straws here........just thinking outside the box on how NASCAR can possibly save themselves.

https://sports.yahoo.com/brian-franc...162234353.html

Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Grasping at straws here........just thinking outside the box on how NASCAR can possibly save themselves.

https://sports.yahoo.com/brian-franc...162234353.html
They could start by accepting that they're a regional sport at best. Or if you're going to travel to Vegas/California/etc, at least give them an interesting track to race on.

Of course, SMI screwed up Bristol, something that should have been impossible.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:49 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Of course, SMI screwed up Bristol, something that should have been impossible.

well, I actually disagree with that.. Racing is actually RACING at Bristol now. I presume you're talking the heyday of the late 90's.. Back when Bristol was a 1 groove track and the bump and run was basically the law of the land.

I get what you're saying, in a way I miss the old days of Bristol as well, but all in all, I enjoy the racing there more now because you can actually race.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
So, what is causing the decline exactly?.
People are starting to realize NASCAR racing is kinda boring. I wonder if a DTM format might up the excitement level, kind of a cross between F1 and NASCAR =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5lhQANa7Q4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing