Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times

Advertisements

Honda CRV. That's my plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Of course !!! A $35 StealthRabbit that gets 50 mpg on free fryer grease (Gotta keep up my image)

I have built several homes using it as my 'work' truck (with roof rack and my SnowBear Trailer ). Granted I do use my Cummins Dodge 4x4 when the snow gets TOO DEEP and my Class 8 Mack, when the cargo requirements dictate.
So basically you couldn't keep your current lifestyle and meet your current needs with ONLY the Rabbit (as cool as the Rabbit may be).

Oh, OT but, and how much do you know about the 1.6/1.9 mechanical TDi's?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
So basically you couldn't keep your current lifestyle and meet your current needs with ONLY the Rabbit (as cool as the Rabbit may be).
Actually, the ONLY way I can have a hope of maintaining ANY lifestyle is downsizing to the Rabbit ONLY. (I left the workforce pre age 50). I can borrow or contract out the need to use the heavier rigs. (which is quite infrequent as I get older...). If I get rid of my heavy excavation equip, my loads would be a lot lighter. (Maybe I can mount a 'front-end loader' on the Rabbit , I see the folks this yr in MN, IL, NY mounting snow plows on the rear of their mini vans, to get themselves out of the driveway !)
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...-s1g1&aql=&oq=
Quote:
Oh, OT but, and how much do you know about the 1.6/1.9 mechanical TDi's?
By Mechanical TDI, you are implying Mech controlled injection pump rather than ECU?
I know of no way to make a 1.6 TDI (as no cupped pistons for 'prechamber', unless using a GAS config, doubt that will work very well.)

For 1.9, I know folks using a 4bt pump with good success, tho the VagCom use indicates it is gonna be a challenge to meet the performance of an ECU pump. You are in the correct neighborhood for a Mech TDI pro, I will PM you the link.

On Topic... A good all-around vehicle is a Westy Synchro http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

You can drop in a Water Cooled VW engine for more power and reliability, a TDI for economy (~35 mpg) and torque, or a Subaru engine for performance.

VW block configurations makes it possible to swap powerplants very EZ from 1976, to 1999.5. You can just pick the model you like and switch powerplants. The Quantum Sychro is a popular swap for the econo AWD crowd.

Importing some of Euro's best all purpose cars is a pain (must come into USA in pieces and be reassembled under a 'builder title'). But a TDI Golf Country (40+mpg + awd) would be my choice (a few available in Canada).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-14-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 04:40 PM

643 posts, read 1,122,426 times
Knight XV. If i had the money. This car does just about everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive