Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,092 times

Advertisements

Took the car to the local mechanic I usually use and he said the problem was the thermostat being bent and some switch which I forgot which one.

He did the work in about 2 hours, charged 180 and I took the car for a two hour drive later on in the day and the gauge didn't move up anymore so hopefully the problem is solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 08:30 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
That was lucky....

Old 06-27-2011, 10:35 AM

120 posts, read 671,582 times
a bent or broken thermostat won't result in coolant loss.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:18 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Keep an eye on your coolant level, if you were having to add, the thermostat does not seem to me to be the whole repair.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:25 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
A stuck thermostat will cause the car to overheat and cause steam to escape via the radiator cap. But I'm curious why the OP never noticed this, if it were the case.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
It could by over heating and blowing coolant out the cap, only some getting to the rez.

Getting a stuck closed T stat gets pretty uggly fast most of the time.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
A stuck thermostat will cause the car to overheat and cause steam to escape via the radiator cap. But I'm curious why the OP never noticed this, if it were the case.
I never saw any steam

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 AM

120 posts, read 671,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
It could by over heating and blowing coolant out the cap, only some getting to the rez.

Getting a stuck closed T stat gets pretty uggly fast most of the time.
I assume the OP would have posted further details if that was the case, ie my air smells like coolant, I see coolant all over the engine bay, smoke billowing from the hood, etc. Perhaps I should have prefaced with "based on the symptoms you describe" ahead of that comment. If the rad cap blew she wouldn't have been asking "where is my coolant going" because it would have been everywhere! :-)

Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM

well, seems like I'm still losing some coolant, but the gauge hasn't gone up like before. This is so frustrating. Why can't mechanics just repair everything at once.

Im definitely ready for a new car at the end of the year. I'm tired of driving 10 year old cars and inheriting everyone else's problems. Never had a new car in 14 years of driving. I think it's time and I can sell this off to someone else.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I assume the OP would have posted further details if that was the case, ie my air smells like coolant, I see coolant all over the engine bay, smoke billowing from the hood, etc. Perhaps I should have prefaced with "based on the symptoms you describe" ahead of that comment. If the rad cap blew she wouldn't have been asking "where is my coolant going" because it would have been everywhere! :-)

Because the OP is unfamilar with automotive engineering, everything he finds is a new discovery, and evidently he finds something new each time this vehical is used.

Unfamiliar people miss seeing key issues, looking for something massive where a single drop has meaning.

I still think the head gasket is toast.

You just don't over heat modern alloy engine a few times and not warp heads, which blows head gaskets.

The heat /cooling cycles move metals big time. The human eye does not see this, but it happens never the less.

A ordinary human not all that strong can bend a in line cast iron 6 cyinder engine block, enough, by pressing in on the sides of the block to drop an inside mic out of a clyinder bore, every day in a week and on a bet.

All they need is a engine block, and to set a inside mic fore and aft in the hole. Press in and viola one dropped inside mic.
If you try that, place a rag in the bottom of the hole, so the mic doesn't get damaged when if drops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive