Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,998,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
well, seems like I'm still losing some coolant, but the gauge hasn't gone up like before. This is so frustrating. Why can't mechanics just repair everything at once.

Im definitely ready for a new car at the end of the year. I'm tired of driving 10 year old cars and inheriting everyone else's problems. Never had a new car in 14 years of driving. I think it's time and I can sell this off to someone else.
Because your tech is not a magic man and has no chrystal ball.

You should have stated you wanted the head gasket tested, and asked for a leak down test, and a cooling system pressure test. And that estimate may have been very expensive.

If you had brought this car to me I would have done a comp test dry then wet, I would have done a leak down test cyl for cly, I would have done a psi test on the cooling system too.

I would have checked all the hoses the rad and heater core, and any cooling system valves.

I would have found the bad T stat too. I would know where the coolant was, and suspect the head gasket is toast.

Most any head gasket sets these days run over 100 bucks a pop, other related work would take place with the head off the engine, like checking valves visually in somewhere between 8 and 12 hours the car would be fixed, and you would pay for those hours at the shop rate and all the parts and gaskets.

It is likey I would change the oil and oil filter too. Then want you back in 1,000 miles for another oil change and filter.

These days this would run over 1,000 bucks easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,562,388 times
Quote:
well, seems like I'm still losing some coolant, but the gauge hasn't gone up like before. This is so frustrating. Why can't mechanics just repair everything at once.

Im definitely ready for a new car at the end of the year. I'm tired of driving 10 year old cars and inheriting everyone else's problems. Never had a new car in 14 years of driving. I think it's time and I can sell this off to someone else.
10 years old without some rebuilds and you are usually dealing with multiple problems.

Just finished up some very similar problems with my truck. Was using about a 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of water a day.

First was the radiator cap. $5. That improved things for a while.

Then there was a pressure leak in the radiator -- a loose seam -- only leaked under pressure, and near the top, so you could never see the water coming out. $165.

Finally a hose to the heater was leaking, as well. $0.

Any or all of them could have been a single cause, but like you have observed, until everything is fixed the problems and symptoms may continue.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 AM

120 posts, read 672,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Because the OP is unfamilar with automotive engineering, everything he finds is a new discovery, and evidently he finds something new each time this vehical is used.

Unfamiliar people miss seeing key issues, looking for something massive where a single drop has meaning.
I disagree that you need to be familiar with automotive engineering, because you can go on forums like this and people will ask the right questions.

If she's asking where the coolant is going and knows enough to know how to put coolant in, I'm giving her some credit that she's going to notice liquid all over the place in the engine bay.

To the OP, go back to your mechanic and tell them you're still losing coolant - a leak can be hard to diagnose but they can do it. There's simple tests they (or even you) could do to see if the head gasket is a problem, or if you need to replace a few hoses.

Everyone always jumps to the "head gasket!" conclusion it seems. While it may be the case, having just gone through some coolant problems myself I would recommend you exhaust all possible options before doing a head gasket replacement.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
I disagree that you need to be familiar with automotive engineering, because you can go on forums like this and people will ask the right questions.

If she's asking where the coolant is going and knows enough to know how to put coolant in, I'm giving her some credit that she's going to notice liquid all over the place in the engine bay.

To the OP, go back to your mechanic and tell them you're still losing coolant - a leak can be hard to diagnose but they can do it. There's simple tests they (or even you) could do to see if the head gasket is a problem, or if you need to replace a few hoses.

Everyone always jumps to the "head gasket!" conclusion it seems. While it may be the case, having just gone through some coolant problems myself I would recommend you exhaust all possible options before doing a head gasket replacement.

Ok if you say so.

Here's a problem. 1985 Volvo B21 FT (turbo) Leaks coolant slowly, Has a new rad, the heater core is sound, all hoses are new, and the head gasket is good. The turbo is oil and coolant cooled, and there is no leak there either. More, the water pump gaskets and seals are new, and this is not the leak.

Once in 2 weeks I add 1 pint of coolant. Where is the leak?

Another problem that was common, was air cooled VW engines would drip water out the exhaust, and my customers would complain. Where did that water come from? In these same engines, oil was often contaminated with water, and was visable on the bottom of the oil filler caps. Where did that water come from?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 AM

120 posts, read 672,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Ok if you say so.

Here's a problem. 1985 Volvo B21 FT (turbo) Leaks coolant slowly, Has a new rad, the heater core is sound, all hoses are new, and the head gasket is good. The turbo is oil and coolant cooled, and there is no leak there either. More, the water pump gaskets and seals are new, and this is not the leak.

Once in 2 weeks I add 1 pint of coolant. Where is the leak?

Another problem that was common, was air cooled VW engines would drip water out the exhaust, and my customers would complain. Where did that water come from? In these same engines, oil was often contaminated with water, and was visable on the bottom of the oil filler caps. Where did that water come from?

I don't understand why you're getting so defensive. The only thing I disagreed with you on is that you don't need to be familiar with automotive engineering to make some straightforward observations about a problem. You certainly need to know your way around a car to FIX problems or to pinpoint what the problem is.

If I had a leak I might do any number of things to diagnose what was going on, depending on the symptoms, not limited to:

- observing the system as its running
- pressure testing (and looking for a leak)
- running dye in the system
- checking for bubbles in the radiator
- doing a "block check" test
- checking the coolant
- checking the oil
- taking a look at whats coming out of the exhaust
- wet/dry compression test
- checking underneath the oil cap

and even that won't necessarily solve all your problems, as some may be specific to the actual design on that car. I never proclaimed myself to be a mechanic, or an expert, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. Did I cheese off the resident car expert here at CD?

This will be my last direct response to you b/c I don't see the point or purpose of dragging the thread any further off topic. We're all trying to be helpful here lets not be getting into it amongst ourselves. Sheesh

Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 AM

That's a little different. And No I am not the resident Mr Fix it here exactly.

The OP didn't report any outward sign of coolant. There might be one hidden, but there isn't a gob og coolant all over the place or that probably would have been mentioned.

Do nyou think the OP has the tooling you just stated and if so knows the uses of it? I just don't think so. On the other hand I have all of it.

I know where my leak is too, and will get there when i get good and ready. It would drive a good tech nuts trying to find it. A Pressure tester would show there is a leak too, but the leak location would still remain a mystery.

People totally unfamilar have no idea what they are looking at under the hood. A modern day snake pit is all they see. Some don't even get to see that with a flying saucer of an engine cover, there to just make sure they don't see.

I had customers doing the wild chicken dance trying to articulate what their car was doing before.

I used to find that comical. I am sorry if I offend you as well, it's just that worked on cars a very long time, and know not everyone is familiar enough to convey what in jumpin blue blazes it is they are tawkin' about. You know enough though. I can tell from that list.

Probably not the OP's car, but I have seen pourous castings leak both oil or water before. BMW had that problem on cast oil pans leaking oil right thru the pan. Saab had the same problem leaking coolant right thru the cly head.

This is not the problem with my 85 Volvo.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
Quote:

Why spend maybe $1000 to fix the head gasket, new timing belt, etc. when you can spend $30~40K on new?

Why make the effort to learn something about this car, and cars in general, when you can finance a new one for 5-6 years, and just pay so much a month, like you pay your rent?

Why make the effort to find a really good independent mechanic who can do the stuff you don't or can't DIY, when the dealership is so shiny and lit up at night? Why not make like a bug and head for the bright lights?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Why spend maybe $1000 to fix the head gasket, new timing belt, etc. when you can spend $30~40K on new?

Why make the effort to learn something about this car, and cars in general, when you can finance a new one for 5-6 years, and just pay so much a month, like you pay your rent?

Why make the effort to find a really good independent mechanic who can do the stuff you don't or can't DIY, when the dealership is so shiny and lit up at night? Why not make like a bug and head for the bright lights?
Mechanics around here like to rip you off, especially when you're a woman. Besides, the new car I like is only 18k
Need something reliable for work, not something that is going to let me down and make me late. It's nice to have piece of mind.

You can buy the car from me

Old 02-13-2017, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 484 times
The AA man said i had blew a gasket. I got steal seal and the drove the car around the block a couple of times. then the oil light came on and it cut out. i drove it straight home the next morning i checked the coolant and it was empty. What could be the problem?

Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 AM

670 posts, read 1,444,983 times
Who is the AA man? Does he sell batteries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive