Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,649,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I notice while in court about 50 people were there... half of them were unemployed and instead of giving them a fine, he gave them 20 hours community service or probation... for those who were employed he gave them fines...
How would you know they were unemployed, because unemployed people look different?

All the court knows on employment is if you say you are working or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I think you should ask the judge why you don't have the... uh... "right"... to demand community service instead of a monetary forfeiture for violating a state statute.
Yes, that does sound discriminatory. You are being discriminated against on the assumption that you are frugal and economical enough to have enough discretionary cash to pay the ticket. Not only is it discriminatory, but it implies that the frugal and economical are deserving of a special punishment.

I think, though, that the argument could be made that the fines for traffic violations ought to be a percentage of the blue book value of the car. The more you can afford to spend on a car, the more you can afford to pay for auto-related infractions without venturing into hardship territory. After all, the whole philosophy of government is to minimize hardship on the citizenry. The job of the shepherd is to see that no harm comes to even one sheep.

Of course, the obvious reason that is not done is because it would inspire the police to set up speed traps on the road to the country club, and we wouldn't want any "profiling" in law enforcement, would we?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,037,301 times
I think we should be able to ask for a different sentence for EVERY infraction...Speeding = Community Service, and Murder = More Community Service. :P

Maybe, if you don't have a job to pay the fine, they should be nice enough to offer you time to work off your fine...paid at $7.11/hr, and performed under the supervision of a corrections officer at the county jail?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:41 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,517,336 times
When I used to go to municipal court for the irritating children of clients, their cleaning ladies, landscapers and friends. I can't tell you how many times a stupid question like this came up. These people want to drive around with their stupid stereo loud enough to interfere with people inside their own homes and then cry about a ticket. And, the whining always seems to center on what are their rights.

I'm really quite sick of people who want to violate a law, interfere with others and then cry like a baby when they have to pay.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:58 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,894,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
How would you know they were unemployed, because unemployed people look different?

All the court knows on employment is if you say you are working or not.
The judge asked them... and they told him... sometimes they told him upfront... and it is STOCK speakers for the other people out there... and it wasn't loud, that's why I plead not guilty... apparently this particular officer gives out half the tickets for loud music and the other half for window tinting... and we know how window tinting interferes with other people's right to look inside your car... my entire point is, why is there two different punishments for the same violation?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,804,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I fail to see the difference...except that I'm not relying on someone else to pay my stuff for me (in my mind I feel I'd deserve the option just like anyone else)
You failed to see my point.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
When I used to go to municipal court for the irritating children of clients, their cleaning ladies, landscapers and friends. I can't tell you how many times a stupid question like this came up. These people want to drive around with their stupid stereo loud enough to interfere with people inside their own homes and then cry about a ticket. And, the whining always seems to center on what are their rights.

I'm really quite sick of people who want to violate a law, interfere with others and then cry like a baby when they have to pay.
Evil acknowledge that he violated the noise ordinance, and that he should be required to pay the penalty as prescribed by law. He pleaded guilty and threw himself upon the mercy of the court. Your criticism of him is seriously misplaced, and he cannot be accused of anything that you said about him, neither in deed nor spirit.

His contention is that different penalties are imposed on different people in a manner that discriminated against him, and it is a legitimate complaint.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,258,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Evil acknowledge that he violated the noise ordinance, and that he should be required to pay the penalty as prescribed by law. He pleaded guilty and threw himself upon the mercy of the court. Your criticism of him is seriously misplaced, and he cannot be accused of anything that you said about him, neither in deed nor spirit.

His contention is that different penalties are imposed on different people in a manner that discriminated against him, and it is a legitimate complaint.
He acknowledged it with numerous excuses, did NOT plead guilty (he "loss", remember? And later said he didn't plead guilty), so that criticism is not misplaced.

He broke the law and was...whatever...enough to get caught by a LEO while the radio was turned up too far. To me that suggests he is excessively visible to LEOs. Been there, done that, grew up.

Are the people who received community service complaining? Do they feel discriminated against? Why is it assumed that money is more important to everyone than time? I would rather spend the couple hundred bucks than have to do community service, and tie up that time plus travel to and from, etc.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:21 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,444,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
Your name is now kazynevilnewbie.
ndubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
You failed to see my point.
Isn't that what I said?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:25 PM

568 posts, read 2,423,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
...my entire point is, why is there two different punishments for the same violation?
It's not two different punishments. It's two different ways of paying for the same punishment.

If the fine is $200 and you have the money, you write a check or hand over the cash.

If you're doing community service, you work for $200 worth of wages that pay the fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive