Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,264,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
There is a lot of factors involved in speed but we're talking about trucks that are shaped like brick walls instead of NASCARs.

The above poster mentioned 08' Ford. One of the larger gasoline engines offered during this year was the 5.4L. I used to have Supercharged 5.4L 03' F150 which is more aerodynamic than an 08' model and could just barely make 140 mph stock. This is why I guessed his truck was Supercharged vs naturally aspirated if it was gasoline. A naturally aspirated 5.4L 08' Ford would have an even harder time obtaining 140mph...but the above posted mentioned he was able to do it all the time. In 2008, Ford reintroduced the Harley Edition F150 with a 450 hp Supercharged 5.4L. So that is why I guessed Supercharger...provided it was a gasoline 2008 Ford truck.

Now for Diesels, all 2008 Diesel Ford trucks are Turbocharged? Thus why I stated "Or Turbocharged Diesel. But really, Diesels are extremely heavy and gain, shaped like a brick wall. So they saying they don't need power is an understatement. I can't imagine one doing 140 mph daily without boost. I had a Turbo go out on a Peter Built Tanker and barely did 45mph half empty.

As for my 10' Ford Raptor truck, I said it could do 140 no problem without the preset 100 mph limiter. That commit wasn't about power, the truck is set from the factory to only go 100 mph period. So I would have to use a tuner to reset the governor or limiter. Although that's not something I would attempt.
Somehow I deleted part of that quote when I posted it. My point is similar to yours-that there are factors beyond just HP that determine how fast something can go. When it comes to trucks, those factors are much bigger than in a passenger car.

The Saleen package was an option for the '08 Harley F150. The stock setup was only 300 HP. And the '08 was slower than the '03, the last supercharged truck from Ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 PM

568 posts, read 2,424,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
Haha, fastest I've done is 85. It was only to get around a really badly swerving moving truck who was doing 80 in the right lane in front of me. OMG I was so nervous even speeding. I had to get around him though. All these people who have done over 100- not sure how you did it!!! I would've lost it. My husband has done over 130 with me in his cars (though as a passenger, which is harrowing enough for a heart attack).

I told him to never drive that fast if I'm in his car(s) ever again. Ahh!
Although she won't ever drive that fast, my wife likes the triple-digits when I'm driving. It doesn't happen very often, but she gets a little thrill from it.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,809,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
That is was I thought as well but wasn't sure. Anyhow, are you using an aftermarket Speedo to read above 85 mph or are you just going by track times? My 87' T-Type had a digital and only read 85 mph is why I asked.
I have recallibrated analog speedo that reads up to 145....but I also have a scan tool on top of the dash that displays what the ECM is seeing, the speedo being one of them...that's where I got my info from.

As far as those turbo Regal digital speedos, there's a company called Caspers electronics that makes a chip for them that allows that speedo to read up to 199 mph.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,414,685 times
around 115-120 mph in an Infiniti FX45

Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,281,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I have recallibrated analog speedo that reads up to 145....but I also have a scan tool on top of the dash that displays what the ECM is seeing, the speedo being one of them...that's where I got my info from.

As far as those turbo Regal digital speedos, there's a company called Caspers electronics that makes a chip for them that allows that speedo to read up to 199 mph.
Ya, I had a Scan tool as well. I thought about the Casper but I was more interested in making speed than measuring it

Anyhow, I've since sold the car...wife said if I wanted a Raptor, I had to sale the Harley truck and Regal. I wanted try explore new avenues and agreed.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 AM

13 posts, read 27,424 times
Do all cars in the USA have speed limiters?
Also, are German cars (in particular BMW and Mercedes) in the USA speed limited?

Since some years our cars in Germany are limited to 250 kph (155 mph), at least if the car has enough power to reach the speed (typically you need about 200-250 HP to reach 250 kph, I'm not talking about heavy cars like SUVs).
It is possible to legally remove the speed limiter in an auto shop.

Sports cars are not limited (like Porsche or the sport models of BMW [M], Mercedes [AMG], Audi [S/RS/R], etc.).

Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 AM

250 posts, read 413,796 times
167 MPH in a Caliber SRT-4

Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 AM

250 posts, read 413,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Also, are German cars (in particular BMW and Mercedes) in the USA speed limited?

Since some years our cars in Germany are limited to 250 kph (155 mph), at least if the car has enough power to reach the speed (typically you need about 200-250 HP to reach 250 kph, I'm not talking about heavy cars like SUVs).

Sports cars are not limited (like Porsche or the sport models of BMW [M], Mercedes [AMG], Audi [S/RS/R], etc.).
To answer your question, no..not all cars in the US have speed limiters. My Caliber SRT-4 is only Drag limited..The more HP you put into it, the faster it will go. It will "Gear out" at 189 MPH though

Old 09-09-2011, 02:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times
Quote:
No.

Quote:

They usually arrive in the U.S. with whatever speed limiter they're equipped with over there.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 AM

13 posts, read 27,424 times
Ok, thanks for information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive