Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
What does your lease agreement say about replacing the tires. Does it require the same tire that on it now an OEM.

+1

Even if the lease agreement doesn't require the same OEM tires for replacement, I am sure that you are required to install tires with the same speed rating as the OEM tires.

Thus, buying cheaper tires with a lower speed rating would result in the dealership charging you for 4 new tires with the correct speed rating, and in the long run those "cheap tires" wouldn't be so cheap once you have to pay for 8 tires in total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
What does your lease agreement say about replacing the tires. Does it require the same tire that on it now an OEM. If not, Walmart probably is your best bet for a cheap tire. A lot of independent tire dealers have what they call 'take-offs'. These are tires taken off new vehicles that the owner wants to have a different tire instead oof what came with the vehicle. These are usually discounted deals.

Call around to your local tire dealers and see if they have a set of "Take offs". Sometimes people buy cars and don;t like the tires on it, and will go and have them replaced. That means the tire deal has an almost new set of tires, that cannot be sold as new, but you can get for an EXCELLENT price. After that of you can't find take offs, see if anyone nearby has retreads.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
For good tires cheap, I'd go to Sam's Club.
Actually I checked Sam's club first, the tires (225/45R19 92W) were special order and were the most expensive out of all the places I looks at so far.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned used tires. Seems like the perfect candidate. I get my truck tires used, $50/tire including balancing, disposal, and no tax.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned used tires. Seems like the perfect candidate. I get my truck tires used, $50/tire including balancing, disposal, and no tax.
Hmm Excellent Idea. Thanks I didn't think about going to a junk yard to pick up tires from a wrecked car.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned used tires. Seems like the perfect candidate.
I had suggested craigslist for used.

Mike

Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,896,205 times
Is this your first lease? Sounds like it.

More than likely, you have equity in the car. The G37 is a hot car. What is your buyout? Don't just take it to Infiniti, hand over the keys and leave. I bet you can get at least $1-2k in cash for it from any dealer at the end of your lease, depending on what your buyout is. Take it to CarMax if you want a no hassle quote, which will give you a ballpark idea what dealers will pay for it. Don't dump money into it just yet.

I turned in a 2006 TrailBlazer SS that had hardly any tread on the tires, a CEL on, and a fuel gauge that didn't work (sensor in tank needed to be replaced). The buyout was $18k at the time. I got $3k in cash for it from the Chevy dealer where I leased our next car. Could have put it towards the new lease, but I had other bills I wanted to pay.

Looking at craigslist, a 2009 G37 is going for around $26-28k retail. Again, what's your buyout? I'm guessing around $25k?

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 03-08-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
This thread is silly, nor more so than the OP's unreasonable expectations.

The G37 is a relatively high performance sports sedan. It probably was equipped originally with high performance tires. They may even be "summer" tires. These tires are made with softer, stickier, rubber for better traction. They don't wear as long as a result. It is not anyone's fault that they wore out at 30K because there really is no such thing as a long wearing high performance tire.

You can buy cheaper but reasonable tires easily. Buy a V-rated all season tire from Kumho or similar. It will cost much less than the originals.

Wiper blades? Infiniti doesn't make them. They are the same rubber in a Honda or Chevy. They cost $15 each. Buy new ones.

Cabin air filter? Old cars didn't have them. A new costs $10-$20 and probably needs to be replaced every two years. Just don't pay the dealer to do it.

You shouldn't have leased the G37. It is a fine car. It will need a bit more care than a Honda Civic.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Go to a scrap yard for used tires. You can get them for around $20 each. They will usually mount them for you. hey may or may not balance the wheel withthe new tire, but for turn in, you probably do not care about balance.

For next time, get someone to show you how to do brakes. Disc brakes are incredibly easy to do. You are mostly paying for liabilty insurance, not for time or knowlege. Even an non-pro (me or my son) can do a set of brakes in about an hour. Drum brakes are more difficult and time consuming, but not overwhelming. Howver when it is cold outside, I usually pay to have drum brakes done for me. I just do not like working on a car for more than an hour when it is cold.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,751 times
When buying tires keep this in mind. Tires are your only connection to the road. It's ok to buy cheap tires but stick to well known name brands. I've seen tire brands with names I can't pronounce at some low buck tire places.

Saving a couple hundred isn't worth your safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive