Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I don't see it as double jeopardy at all.
many offenses or crimes have a jail sentence, a fine, and community service tacked on.
Why can't you get this point: They're not "tacked on" after the original due process is served, list of crimes is specified, plea is entered, verdict is read, and sentence is served. That is what makes it double jeopardy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,174,659 times
Why can you read in stead of jumping to conclusions like you do?

You see, I read this post, by PKCorey;comprehended it, this resulted in me not needing to replay to Merc63 post.

but hey, thanks for posting, I haven't had the chance to chat with you lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why can't you get this point: They're not "tacked on" after the original due process is served, list of crimes is specified, plea is entered, verdict is read, and sentence is served. That is what makes it double jeopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I believe, the issue is the Super Speeder fine can not be charged until the ticket is entered into the DMVS computers here and it takes two or three months before it is entered after they get the records from each county or city court system.
dy.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
They have something similar in Ontario Canada although consequences are much more severe.

Quote:
If you are charged for speeding at 50 km/h over the speed limit, police will suspend your license and impound your vehicle at the roadside.
Penalties for street racing, stunt driving and driving 50 km/h or over the speed limit
Pre-conviction – Immediate 7-day license suspension and 7-day vehicle impoundment
Upon conviction - $2,000 to $10,000 fine, 6 demerit points, up to 6 months jail, up to 2 years license suspension for a first conviction
Second offence – Driver license suspension up to 10 years within 10 years of first conviction

Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Some interesting information about driving in Germany, speed limits, advisory speed limits, and consequences. (You might not get a ticket, apparently, until two or three months after the incident.)

Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I believe, the issue is the Super Speeder fine can not be charged until the ticket is entered into the DMVS computers here and it takes two or three months before it is entered after they get the records from each county or city court system.
Aren't computers wonderful? A clerk used to have to do all those things by hand with a quill pen, and sometimes there was a backlog of several days, if there were too many thousands of super speeder citations every day.

Doesn't it give the speed right on the ticket that the judge sees when he renders his judgment?

The question is, when the driver pleads guilty by mail, without appearing in court, to the first citation of simple speeding, is he informed that he is also pleading guilty to any add-ons that might come at a later date? Sounds like a Sixth Amendment violation, if the accused is not fully "informed of the nature and cause of the accusation" at the time his plea is asked for or entered.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-13-2012 at 04:12 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,713,506 times
I have no idea. I haven't gotten a ticket here in 7 years.

Yes, the section with your speed and the speed limit is on the ticket.

I'm assuming, the clerk or if you pay online, you are alerted to the additional fine but I'm not sure.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Default This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I find it interesting that it's ALWAYS "a revenue thing" and never "I was breaking the law and I got caught and it's my own fault". That speaks volumes about the person using that excuse and just about nothing useful about the officer who caught them.

The speed limit is the law. You broke it. You got caught. Quite whining and making excuses and blaming everyone else for the consequences of your own actions like a kid and own up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You know better than that, stop pretending you don't. Everybody drives over the speed limit, and the cop backs out of the doughnut shop and pulls over the first car he sees, to make his quota. It's a reverse lottery.
is exactly right!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Default Update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
This times a million.
Times a trillion...

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,414 times
Quote:
You do know the autobahn has speed limits on major portions of it, there's no speed limit on only a small portion and even there there's a "recommended" speed limit of the equivalent of 81 mph, and if you're involved in an accident while driving faster than that on that portion, your portion of the liability for the accident is increased as a result, don't you? Also that if you violate certain traffic laws there that are routinely violated here, you stand to lose your license AND your vehicle? Also, that there is a movement in Germany that keeps coming back, a movement to institute speed limits on all of the autobahn?

Why is it that those who hold up the autobahn as as shining example of what we should do somehow never mention anything but the lack of a speed limit?
Those speed limits aren't equivalent to 55 mph on a 6 lane highway.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,954 times
Quote:
You do know the autobahn has speed limits on major portions of it, there's no speed limit on only a small portion and even there there's a "recommended" speed limit of the equivalent of 81 mph, and if you're involved in an accident while driving faster than that on that portion, your portion of the liability for the accident is increased as a result, don't you? Also that if you violate certain traffic laws there that are routinely violated here, you stand to lose your license AND your vehicle? Also, that there is a movement in Germany that keeps coming back, a movement to institute speed limits on all of the autobahn?

Why is it that those who hold up the autobahn as as shining example of what we should do somehow never mention anything but the lack of a speed limit?
What? Over half of the entire autobahn network still has no recommended speed limit. The only parts that are limited are at major junctions or repair sites. There are also night speed limits to reduce noise and the recommended speed limits can become mandatory in bad weather (they apply even onto portions with no speed limit).

I lived in Germany, so I would expect to know about the Autobahn. Also only about a quarter of the network has recommended speed limits. However, about 70% of the network has any limits of the sort (that includes unlimited sections). To make you feel better, I will say that there is so much traffic. It's very difficult to open it up. In many cases, you are creeping along the road. Also it isn't automatic at all about your insurance premium increasing by crashing in a recommended area. They also determine your speed and did you make a fundamental error which caused the crash.

There has been a movement for slowing down the autobahn for years. There are always people who want to impose their cautious and pathetic beliefs on others. Germany will never outright impose a limit. The Autobahn in itself is a monument and accrues tourism on its own. It was (perhaps still is) the standard of the automotive road networking world and they won't bring it down to the level of the US interstate system.

There is a reason why German cars for are a long time were (and perhaps still are) the best in the world and American cars are crap. There is a reason that for a long time the average American car couldn't hold a candle to the average German car. You can develop and refine your vehicles on such a road with such quality. You can't help but make it a good car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive