Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Whine, whine, whine, I got busted for actually speeding and breaking the law but it's all about revenue, couldn't possibly be my fault!
I am sure you know quite well some states have laws that require speed limits be posted based on measured 85th% measured vehicle speeds, as measured by traffic engineers. But what happens when the local politicians break the law and keep speed limits underposted for revenue generation purposes? Do the politicans go to jail or get a ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
That's exactly right. It IS about revenue. ENTIRELY about revenue. Speed limit 65 mph in 1960. 1974: 55 mph. 1980: (a reluctant) 65 mph. Change in design and condition of the road: none.

It's all about revenue.

Many states had 75mph speed limits before 1974, like on the Ohio Turnpike. Notice how those did not return when the 55 limit was abolished? Do you smell revenue generation?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Many states had 75mph speed limits before 1974, like on the Ohio Turnpike. Notice how those did not return when the 55 limit was abolished? Do you smell revenue generation?
Correct. In the 60s, at least a half a dozen states had no speed limit at all, some as far east as Iowa. And that was before there were Interstate Highways.

The American public is "protected" from the burden of knowing how much money is actually collected nationwide from speeding fines, but most reliable estimates fall in the $5-6 billion dollar neighborhood. Does this smell l like revenue generation?

Fines doubled in construction zones is also purely driven by revenue generation. Since this policy has been widely instituted, there has been no decrease in the number of construction workers killed by traffic. In fact, construction workers are more likely to be run over by their own equipment, than by road traffic. http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/workersafety/index.htm And there is no evidence that the speed of the road traffic is a contributing factor in most construction worker runovers. The number of construction workers killed by traffic is so small, there are many states that go several years without a single construction worker fatality. Yet, all the police have to do is collect their quote at construction zones, to double the precious revenue.

Why isn't every jurisdiction in the land of the free required to make an annual public disclosure of exactly how much revenue in fines are collected from speeding tickets, like they do for all other sources of revenue? Aren't they proud of this praiseworthy gesture that protects the public interest? When the public perceives the police as the enemy, working in nefarious secrecy, your country is in danger of sliding into the third world and being taken over by a dark side that you really don't want to even contemplate.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-18-2012 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM

133 posts, read 173,704 times
How he hell is 85 "super speeding?"

This sounds more like something that would happen here in Lewzianer where driving with ones head up ones ass is the norm. This means that in Lewzianer driving like a slug is all that's tolerated.

Another all-time favorite here in this state is fake construction zones. Are those in use in Georgia too?

Last edited by tempratt; 12-18-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 PM

133 posts, read 173,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I've always said that governments always figure out ways to sodomize it's citizens.

Why do you think black boxes are about to be mandatory? A cop will pull you over and look at our cars logs. BAAM; instant ticket and/or arrest.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
And that tells me most of what I need to know about your attitude towards life and your personal responsibility for the consequences of your own actions.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
I drive all over the state and have not had a ticket in 13 years. And I'm 34. Just shut the hell up and don't do 20mph over the limit. It's that easy.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shstrang98 View Post
How he hell is 85 "super speeding?"

I agree. That means driving 70 when the speed limit was 55 was also "super speeding".

Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And that tells me most of what I need to know about your attitude towards life and your personal responsibility for the consequences of your own actions.

I was thinking the same about you. How can a human being possibly drive 85mph safely in Texas?

Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
If I recall correctly (it has been a long time), when in MA, 30 mph over the limit gets you handcuffs, a trip to the pokey, and your car towed. That is one reason why they tend to only write you up for 29 mph over, so they don't have to do all the paperwork.
Though people say that they are strict in NY, I used to do the Boston -> Rochester trip frequently, in 4 hours, and never got a ticket. Upstate NY, once west of Schenectady, it a divided highway, will little traffic.
Go try State highway 130 in Texas... 85 mph is the speed limit.... Geez I would only be in 2nd gear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive