Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:09 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
What? Over half of the entire autobahn network still has no recommended speed limit. The only parts that are limited are at major junctions or repair sites. There are also night speed limits to reduce noise and the recommended speed limits can become mandatory in bad weather (they apply even onto portions with no speed limit).

I lived in Germany, so I would expect to know about the Autobahn.

I am not sure if you have lived in Germany otherwise you would know recommended speed limit on autobahn is 80MPH or so and that is "everywhere" .

Last edited by alpha_1976; 12-16-2012 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:10 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I am not sure if you have lived in Germany otherwise you would know recommended speed limit on autobahn is 80MPH or so and that is "everywhere" .
The speed is130 km/h (81 mph not 80). You can doubt as much as you like but I lived near the French border in Baden-Wurrtemberg. The government is being smart by trying to satiate both sides of the speed issue instead of trying to limit everyone to 50 km/h. No, recommended speed limits aren't everywhere because there are actual speed limits. Do you realize how much sense you're not making? There is a recommended speed limit on autobahns with an actual speed limit? *facepalm*

Old 12-16-2012, 05:08 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
What? Over half of the entire autobahn network still has no recommended speed limit. The only parts that are limited are at major junctions or repair sites. There are also night speed limits to reduce noise and the recommended speed limits can become mandatory in bad weather (they apply even onto portions with no speed limit).

I lived in Germany, so I would expect to know about the Autobahn. Also only about a quarter of the network has recommended speed limits. However, about 70% of the network has any limits of the sort (that includes unlimited sections). To make you feel better, I will say that there is so much traffic. It's very difficult to open it up. In many cases, you are creeping along the road. Also it isn't automatic at all about your insurance premium increasing by crashing in a recommended area. They also determine your speed and did you make a fundamental error which caused the crash.

There has been a movement for slowing down the autobahn for years. There are always people who want to impose their cautious and pathetic beliefs on others. Germany will never outright impose a limit. The Autobahn in itself is a monument and accrues tourism on its own. It was (perhaps still is) the standard of the automotive road networking world and they won't bring it down to the level of the US interstate system.

There is a reason why German cars for are a long time were (and perhaps still are) the best in the world and American cars are crap. There is a reason that for a long time the average American car couldn't hold a candle to the average German car. You can develop and refine your vehicles on such a road with such quality. You can't help but make it a good car.
Quote:
The speed is130 km/h (81 mph not 80). You can doubt as much as you like but I lived near the French border in Baden-Wurrtemberg. The government is being smart by trying to satiate both sides of the speed issue instead of trying to limit everyone to 50 km/h. No, recommended speed limits aren't everywhere because there are actual speed limits. Do you realize how much sense you're not making? There is a recommended speed limit on autobahns with an actual speed limit? *facepalm*
Looks like you aren't smart enough to figure out what I was saying. See your comment above in red. If there is no speed limit on a section of autobahn then the recommended speed limit is 130km/h and that is again "everywhere" wherever there is no posted speed limit. it doesn't matter where you lived but your facts aren't correct or you don't know what you are typing. We have to take what you say as "facts" simply because you drove in Germany - give us a break!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Looks like you aren't smart enough to figure out what I was saying. See your comment above in red. If there is no speed limit on a section of autobahn then the recommended speed limit is 130km/h and that is again "everywhere" wherever there is no posted speed limit. it doesn't matter where you lived but your facts aren't correct or you don't know what you are typing. We have to take what you say as "facts" simply because you drove in Germany - give us a break!
You aren't smart enough to understand that statement. How about you read it again. Now consider do you know why that is the case? Let me spoon feed this one to you as well. Over half the of the network has no recommended speed limits as there are permanent speed limits. If you were incapable of comprehending that from reading that then that is a personal problem. I know I'm right as I had to drive on it all the time to go places. So, I had to be familiar with the rules of the road otherwise I wouldn't have been driving there very long.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
German State Adopts Autobahn Speed Limit

Two Thirds of the Autobahn Has An Advisory Speed Limit with Potential Consequences.

Advisory would equate with recommended.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Those speed limits aren't equivalent to 55 mph on a 6 lane highway.

Most of Europe has 100km/hr (62mph) speed limits on 2 lane roads.

Regardless of what the posted speed limit is in any European country, freeway traffic flows at 75+ mph there.

Last edited by ram2; 12-17-2012 at 02:45 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
You aren't smart enough to understand that statement. How about you read it again. Now consider do you know why that is the case? Let me spoon feed this one to you as well. Over half the of the network has no recommended speed limits as there are permanent speed limits. If you were incapable of comprehending that from reading that then that is a personal problem. I know I'm right as I had to drive on it all the time to go places. So, I had to be familiar with the rules of the road otherwise I wouldn't have been driving there very long.
What you have said seems to be that ALL of the Autobahn has EITHER a maximum OR a recommended speed limit. Where the speed is Maximum, it is a violation at all times for any driver to exceed it. Where it is Recommended, it is a violation to exceed it if the driving conditions or the engineering capabilities of your car do not support it or if a traffic incident results.

Is that what you are trying to say? Because that is essentially what everyone has said, too.

If that is NOT what you are saying, check this box:

[ ] There are parts of the Autobahn where neither a Maximum nor a Recommended speed is posted, where nobody can ever be ticketed for speed violation..

Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Speeding tix are luck/bad luck of the road, imo...though codes like the SS could certainly add some impetus for more tix by supportive cops.

This 'state fee', (note the wording in the first link), is simply revenue shoring up for broke state(s) that habitually misspend/overspend much of the tax receipts.

We roll through GA twice a year on our north-south migration; this recent trip was marked by dozens and dozens of cops, sitting, rolling, hiding, etc. Add in the miles of 'road under construction' with not a worker or work truck in sight, and a very reduced speed limit and GA interstate roads may be the 'new Virginia'...

GL, mD
That sounds exactly like Illinois! You have the $1000 fines for speeding in the miles-long permanent non-construction sites. It's sad to see GA following in the footsteps of that decrepit state.

And about the traffic fines- just about all regulation including traffic laws is about giving the government the ability to make money for itself and to play favorites. The easy way to get rid of that would be to make the government use punishments other than fines. Making somebody spend a week in jail for speeding instead of fining them would essentially end the abusive behavior we see today. There is no incentive for police to throw a bunch of people in jail, in fact, there is really a disincentive to do so as the jail will get full and the police department has to pay for housing prisoners. You would see people who are a real hazard get arrested for speeding and the people going 10 over on a rural interstate in the middle of a weekday with sparse traffic get left alone. However the governments will not be in favor of getting rid of their fines as they make a lot of money off the fines that does not need to be voted on. It's difficult to pass a tax hike but "being tough on crime" will actually *get* you elected. Of course soaking motorists with speeding fines counts as "being tough on crime," especially when you catch more and more of them year after year (regardless of if people actually speed more, just set the quotas higher and you'll get there.)

Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Whine, whine, whine, I got busted for actually speeding and breaking the law but it's all about revenue, couldn't possibly be my fault!

Old 12-18-2012, 01:10 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Whine, whine, whine, I got busted for actually speeding and breaking the law but it's all about revenue, couldn't possibly be my fault!
That's exactly right. It IS about revenue. ENTIRELY about revenue. Speed limit 65 mph in 1960. 1974: 55 mph. 1980: (a reluctant) 65 mph. Change in design and condition of the road: none.

It's all about revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive