Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,965 times

Advertisements

See this type of passing quite a bit. Noticed that depending on the car I'm driving, folks tailgate or don't tailgate, it's the weirdest thing. If I drive my wife's SUV, I'm getting tailgated, cut-off and generally abused on the highway. This is even staying over in the RH lane and doing maybe 5-10 over.

The thing that is more irritating than someone sling-shotting is when they know there is no room to get around and do it anyway. Run up door to door, slow down and then fall back behind. All they had to do was look in front to see there is traffic. I normally get over if someone is faster behind me and there is no traffic ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When that driver rides your bumper that's one stupid driver on the road but when you hit your breaks now there are two stupid drivers on the road.

I hate it when people ride my bumper but I just slow down until they finally pass me.
Aw yes Car is right on your bumper so slam the brakes. Now that takes a genius doesn't it?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
| |X|
| | |
|Y| |
| |U|
Let's say you're at the position "U", the cars X and Y and moving relatively slow and at roughly the same speeds each. In order to pass "X", you need to go right up behind it, swerve left right in front of "Y", and go in front of "X" again.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
| |X|
| | |
|Y| |
| |U|
Let's say you're at the position "U", the cars X and Y and moving relatively slow and at roughly the same speeds each. In order to pass "X", you need to go right up behind it, swerve left right in front of "Y", and go in front of "X" again.
Unless you have a RH exit coming up soon, the safest thing to do... and less asinine, is to pull behind car Y, pass that car, signal right and then signal right again to get in front of X.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:01 PM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 268,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Happens to me all the time lately,

i'm in the right lane going about 65, someone is in the same lane behind me going faster, instead of passing way far back they get right up on my rear bumper and than they make the lane change to go around me.

when people do this to me i will get back at them...
hit the breaks, do the same to you or box you in, i got notin' to lose.
I'm with you on this one. I really hate it and do not understand how 'so many' people are too slow in the head to realize that my lane isn't getting any faster, so just move your azz over before you get on my tail. I'm trying to obide by the law and these idiots want me to speed, and get a ticket. I mean, I can always tell when cars in front of me are going slower or keeping pace, so what's wrong mentally with these other people? I think they love that feeling of getting real close to the car in front of them and risking peoples' lives.

You know what I have found that pisses these kinds of drivers off? I mean this really gets to them because I always see them fuming after I do it. If I see someone speeding up in my lane behind me when there are other lanes on the left or right, or both that are opened for them to use, but they refuse to use them by the time they are like 4 car lengths behind me, I just cut over real fast to the fast lane which is empty, and immediatly cut my blinker on to get back into that lane I just moved away from. As I do this I aggresivley wave that driver on as is in a way to tell him to hurry the hell up because he's in my lane. I do this because they thought the roadways were owned by them first, but I switch that up on them and let them feel like I now own it. Works for me. I get lots of these idiots honking at me when I do this, and I'll slam my horn back at them too. Just waiting for the day one of them follows me thinking they want to fight. I got a surprise for them.

One thing I find is a lot of these aggresive types are women for some reason.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When that driver rides your bumper that's one stupid driver on the road but when you hit your breaks now there are two stupid drivers on the road.

I hate it when people ride my bumper but I just slow down until they finally pass me.
I do this too, or I move out of their way if it's safe to do so. I figure there's no point in pissing off a tailgater since they're already doing something stupid...why provoke them? Just let them pass and move on.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Back in the day, that was the only way I could pass another car. I had a 36 HP Volkswagen. I'd run up on a car, get in his draft and slingshot around him...... all 36 horses running as fast as they could!!!!!!!!

Had a bumper sticker that said, "YOU HAVE JUST BEEN PASSED BY 36 HP!"

Couple of years later I bought a 1962 with 40 HP. Wow what power!!!!!!
So you are one of those control freaks we speak of. Nice to meet you. It's funny to know that you lack depth perception and I don't

Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
People do it to ensure they have enough space in front of the car in the next lane to pass. Is it smart or safe? No... but that's why people do it.
This is only a small percentage of the people who do this though. I always see it even on roads that have 5 lanes and it's not even busy, but nobody seems to want to move over to the absolutly clear lane until right after they tag the guy's azz that's in front of them. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Aw yes Car is right on your bumper so slam the brakes. Now that takes a genius doesn't it?
Hey, if I'm in danger by getting rear-ended anyways then why not just take control of the situation and get hit when I expect it, plus maybe have some money coming to me after winning the lawsuit? Maybe the guy or woman who was putting my life and my kid's lives in danger by tailgating shouldn't be that close in the first place as I am already going 5 - 10 mph over the speed limit to begin with.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post
Hey, if I'm in danger by getting rear-ended anyways then why not just take control of the situation and get hit when I expect it, plus maybe have some money coming to me after winning the lawsuit? Maybe the guy or woman who was putting my life and my kid's lives in danger by tailgating shouldn't be that close in the first place as I am already going 5 - 10 mph over the speed limit to begin with.
Nah...

When people know they are getting hit they tense up.

Tense muscles during an accident cause more trauma to bone and the tissue.

You don't want that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive