Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times

Advertisements

Depends on the no passing zones...., If I want to pass and haven't been able to, I may be close to the car in front of me, before I'm able to get around that car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Depends on the no passing zones...., If I want to pass and haven't been able to, I may be close to the car in front of me, before I'm able to get around that car.
You do realize that even in a no passing zone YOU are responsible for keeping a safe distance between you and the car ahead, right? Should have been taught that when you learned to drive. You can always ease up on the accelerator and go slower until you get to a passing zone and THEN speed up to pass without riding right up the tail of the car you're going to pass.

It's called driving. You're the one responsible for what your car does and thus you can make sure it doesn't do bad things like tailgate the car in front of you.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
Because they're a$$holes.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Perhaps it's not the other drivers. Eye exam due, perhaps? Change in rear view mirror? Burned out taillamps?
I'm one of those drivers who just sticks to the right lane with the cruise control set to about 5-10 over the limit on freeways.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Happens to me all the time lately,

i'm in the right lane going about 65, someone is in the same lane behind me going faster, instead of passing way far back they get right up on my rear bumper and than they make the lane change to go around me.

when people do this to me i will get back at them...
hit the breaks, do the same to you or box you in, i got notin' to lose.
That's called "drafting" in NASCAR

Sorry, I could not pass that one.

Now, some people get close to your rear bumper because they aren't paying close attention to how fast they are driving behind you, and the distance they should keep from your rear bumper. All of the sudden they are almost on top of you before they make the move to the left to pass you. It's quite annoying, too.

Some others have to pass real fast because of upcoming traffic in the distance, but their vehicle's motor does not produce enough HP for such a move. So they get on top of you before they pass, press the pedal to the metal, and prey for good luck and more speed as they sweat ahead.

By the way, if a highway trooper sees a driver following too close, that's a reason for the driver behind to get a traffic ticket. Truck driver (big rigs) know that driving law, and there are good reasons why they don't break it.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-04-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
You'd think a Gun Owners of America sticker on the rear bumper would be enough to keep people back....
That would convince me that the drivers is not the most brilliant driver on the road.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I saw someone brake check a car that turned out to be an undercover cop car.

On our way back, the dude was being taken away to the pokey...
Nice.

It does kind of annoy me, but in the scheme of behaviors that annoy me, it's not even that far up the list. I'll usually get over early unless I'm timing a gap in traffic to get in. The other day I had someone two lanes to my right as I was coming up on someone in my lane going all sorts of slow. He was going so slow I miss judged his speed. Since I don't like getting over in someone's blindspot I turned my blinker on well before entering his (the car two lanes over) blindspot and was planning on waiting until I got ahead of him. So naturally what that car with absolutely no reason to change lanes does is speed up and make an unsignaled lane change right as I'm pulling even with him and starting to switch lanes. In that case, I did get RIGHT on the guy's bumper ahead of me who was doing about 55 in a 70 zone.

A couple nights before that I had someone slowing up trucks in slow lane late at night abruptly change lanes in front of me. Being a bit pissed off at being cut off by someone going less than 60 in the fast lane, I did come right up on his ass before hitting the brakes pretty hard. And there I sat, glued on his ass for five miles as he formed a moving road block with the semi before there finally being enough of a gap to pass on the right and get in front of him to go around the semi. Sigh. Good old Highway 99.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:

i'm in the right lane going about 65, someone is in the same lane behind me going faster, instead of passing way far back they get right up on my rear bumper and than they make the lane change to go around me.

They are not too bright would be my opinion. At 65 mph one should leave quite a bit of space between you in case you brake for a stray animal. On a four lane or more road there is no reason for such driving.

I think riding bumpers is just a really bad habit that needs to be stopped. It will some day lead to a wreck that could cause the death of the driver you hit from behind and cause a broken neck.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's called "drafting" in NASCAR
Actually that specific maneuver is called a slingshot.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 PM

337 posts, read 896,702 times
Quote:

People do it to ensure they have enough space in front of the car in the next lane to pass. Is it smart or safe? No... but that's why people do it. As far as what I highlighted in bold, lose the "me" attitude. Brake checking someone doing something you don't agree with is immature and dangerous... not your job (unless your a cop) to try and police other drivers. Putting other people, including yourself at an ever higher risk is pointless. Just hold your position and ignore them. Live and let live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive