Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times

Advertisements

Back in the day, that was the only way I could pass another car. I had a 36 HP Volkswagen. I'd run up on a car, get in his draft and slingshot around him...... all 36 horses running as fast as they could!!!!!!!!

Had a bumper sticker that said, "YOU HAVE JUST BEEN PASSED BY 36 HP!"

Couple of years later I bought a 1962 with 40 HP. Wow what power!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,712,828 times
People always do this when I'm on the road to. I don't know if they assume they get right behind you and you will speed up or what. Idk I hate how everyone drives anyway lol.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,048,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Back in the day, that was the only way I could pass another car. I had a 36 HP Volkswagen. I'd run up on a car, get in his draft and slingshot around him...... all 36 horses running as fast as they could!!!!!!!!

Had a bumper sticker that said, "YOU HAVE JUST BEEN PASSED BY 36 HP!"

Couple of years later I bought a 1962 with 40 HP. Wow what power!!!!!!
You use the word "slingshot" VERY loosely!

I drove a 60hp 1600dp for years. Now THAT was a car you could SLINGSHOT in.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi GarageLogic--

I can't imagine a muni court judge in the entire country that would buy your argument that you rear-ended the car in front because he slammed on his brakes. Since it boils down to he-said/she-said, you're going to be the one that has to prove that the car in front slammed on his brakes for no reason - and that's nearly impossible to do.

Since there's oh, about a million legitimate reasons to slam on the brakes.

You'll get cited for "failure to maintain adequate following distance" every time.

That said, I'm not endorsing brake checking - although I do tap on the brakes a bit to ward off tailgaters.
You'd think a Gun Owners of America sticker on the rear bumper would be enough to keep people back....

Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi GarageLogic--

I can't imagine a muni court judge in the entire country that would buy your argument that you rear-ended the car in front because he slammed on his brakes. Since it boils down to he-said/she-said, you're going to be the one that has to prove that the car in front slammed on his brakes for no reason - and that's nearly impossible to do.

Since there's oh, about a million legitimate reasons to slam on the brakes.

You'll get cited for "failure to maintain adequate following distance" every time.

That said, I'm not endorsing brake checking - although I do tap on the brakes a bit to ward off tailgaters.
Your opinion not-withstanding, brake checking IS illegal. If a patrolman sees you do it, you will find yourself facing a pretty hefty fine.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You'd think a Gun Owners of America sticker on the rear bumper would be enough to keep people back....
Years ago, I owned a '79 Oldsmobile Delta 88 DIESEL. Pile of junk smoked like no vehicle I've ever seen before or since. I couple hard accelerations never failed to back people off.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
In accidents here where one car runs into another from behind, there has to be a LOT of justification for anyone to be at fault other than the vehicle that was, by definition, following too closely. Precisely because a cat, or a deer, or a child, or someone on a bike, or another car, could run out in the road in front of the leading car and the car in front have to slam on its brakes or hit said cat or deer or child or cyclist or car, and if you are behind that car and hit it, you were driving too close for the conditions and are at fault.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 PM

881 posts, read 2,093,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Happens to me all the time lately
Perhaps it's not the other drivers. Eye exam due, perhaps? Change in rear view mirror? Burned out taillamps?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
People are stupid that's why they get right on your butt then pass, they think they are racing Nascar and they don't have a care or a thought of "what if" a car can get to flipping and some serious life shattering crashes when going 65 mph.
The jerks that do it want to make a point that you are going too slow and irritating them. Do not give them a brake job but be content in Karma that will catch up with them.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Never could figure this one out either. Except, you know, people are stupid. With a car in right lane and open left lane, there's absolutely no reason for an overtaking car to wait until the last minute to change lanes to pass. Indeed, it's arguably less safe to do that. Why get closer to car than you need to? Always better to be farther away from other cars as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive