Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times

Advertisements

I would buy a used MDX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Just a report. I haven't purchased anything yet. The Honda Pilot seems "tinny" to me and its body style is rather boring. I think I'll rule that out. The Kia Sorento may be a better car than I give it credit for. However, in the end, I just have too little experience with that product to invest 25-30K in it. So, I'll rule it out. I found the Chevy rather boring and its not very well rated in the materials I've reviewed. I think I'm ruling it out.

I appreciated Stan4's, suggestions about the Toyota 4 Runner. I drove this car and I like it a lot. Its not quite like the others. Its a true sport utility vehicle as opposed to a "cross over" that is more like a family car with AWD or 4WD. The 4 runner is definitely on my list now. Although, I'd prefer a back up camera to back up sensors, as it appears to have. On the other hand, Toyota Highlander seems small and overpriced for what I'm getting. If I purchase a Toyota, I'm about 95% sure it will be 4Runner.

The Mazda is highly recommended here and it is getting serious consideration from me. I didn't like the particular dealership I went too (high pressure outfit) so I'm going to check out another Mazda dealership. There is much to recommend this car. The dealers seem to know they have a good product and don't seem very flexible on price.

The Explorer is still on my list too. I actually like the new styling. Plus, it seems roomier than the other vehicles. I'm a big person and I will be transporting my daughter and her friends during carpool to school and other activities. It rated pretty well in Kelley's Blue Book car ratings.

I appreciate all the help guys. This is terrific.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM

327 posts, read 774,539 times
Another thing to consider is how long you plan on owning the vehicle. The Honda and Toyota will depreciate much slower, but that would be more of a consideration if you only plan on keeping it for a few years. If you keep your cars for 100k+ and maintain them properly, they will all be pretty reliable.

I like the Pilot because of the interior room. The second row is much wider than the others, so it can fit three adults easily. Some don't like the styling of the pilot, but I do. I see you ruled it out though. The Pilot will be redesigned in '15.

The Highlander is nice and can easily be had for sub-35k. You can get leather and moonroof in a new highlander for under 35k. Also, now that the '14 Highlander has been announced you may start to get decent deals on the current style. I find it interesting that you feel the Highlander seems smaller than the 4runner. The interior of the Highlander is much more spacious. I like the idea of the 4runner since it is a true SUV and I love that they still have the back window that rolls down, but it doesn't have the room inside that the crossovers have.

The new CX9 seems to be getting good reviews, I've never driven one but they are popular and I think they look much better with the redesign.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
I like the styling of the Explorer. The only thing I don't like is it seems more like a crossover then SUV. The eco-boost engines have impressed me. They seem to be really reliable, which for a first generation engine is impressive. The power out of that small of displacement is impressive. Mileage is better than a V8. However, I think it might need some improvement. It does seem comparable to other engines in the class.

From the fleet vehicles with the eco-boost both in taurus' and Explorers the reviews have been really good. Relating to performance and reliability.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Get a 1980-1996 fully loaded Full size Ford Bronco 4x4...One of the best Real SUV's ever built along with the K5 Blazer and Jeep Cherokee (XJ) in terms of off-Road ability and durability they are hard to beat IMO

Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
Another thing to consider is how long you plan on owning the vehicle. The Honda and Toyota will depreciate much slower, but that would be more of a consideration if you only plan on keeping it for a few years. If you keep your cars for 100k+ and maintain them properly, they will all be pretty reliable.

I like the Pilot because of the interior room. The second row is much wider than the others, so it can fit three adults easily. Some don't like the styling of the pilot, but I do. I see you ruled it out though. The Pilot will be redesigned in '15.

The Highlander is nice and can easily be had for sub-35k. You can get leather and moonroof in a new highlander for under 35k. Also, now that the '14 Highlander has been announced you may start to get decent deals on the current style. I find it interesting that you feel the Highlander seems smaller than the 4runner. The interior of the Highlander is much more spacious. I like the idea of the 4runner since it is a true SUV and I love that they still have the back window that rolls down, but it doesn't have the room inside that the crossovers have.

The new CX9 seems to be getting good reviews, I've never driven one but they are popular and I think they look much better with the redesign.
Yes.. the highlander is actually MUCH bigger inside than the 4runner... thats why an adult can actually get into and fit in the 3rd row no problem in that but its not happeneing in the 4runner. The 2nd row seats slide fore and aft and recline in the highlander, cant remember if they do in the latest 4runner. 4runner is still a great choice though

Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I like the styling of the Explorer. The only thing I don't like is it seems more like a crossover then SUV. The eco-boost engines have impressed me. They seem to be really reliable, which for a first generation engine is impressive. The power out of that small of displacement is impressive. Mileage is better than a V8. However, I think it might need some improvement. It does seem comparable to other engines in the class.

From the fleet vehicles with the eco-boost both in taurus' and Explorers the reviews have been really good. Relating to performance and reliability.
If the OP plans to use the Explorer for most anything beyond a "slick roads" AWD vehicle, then forget it. The new Explorer simply is a) not capable of any true backcountry use; and/or b) will fall apart if it is used even occasionally in that manner. The fleet operator that I mentioned earlier found that out the hard way--they had the older model Explorers and assumed that the new model would perform similarly as a "true" 4WD--not even close. They are now using F-150 4WD pickups that will hold up to that kind of use, and--as a pleasant surprise--get about the same economy as the Explorer.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
If the OP plans to use the Explorer for most anything beyond a "slick roads" AWD vehicle, then forget it. The new Explorer simply is a) not capable of any true backcountry use; and/or b) will fall apart if it is used even occasionally in that manner. The fleet operator that I mentioned earlier found that out the hard way--they had the older model Explorers and assumed that the new model would perform similarly as a "true" 4WD--not even close. They are now using F-150 4WD pickups that will hold up to that kind of use, and--as a pleasant surprise--get about the same economy as the Explorer.
True.

Or the jump up to a tahoe or expedition. Around here they are rolling out the new explorers and taurus as a replacement for the crown vic.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
The Ford Explorer. I have one and it's the most reliable and comfortable SUV I've ever owned or driven. I was just car shopping over the weekend checking out several brands. Decision, next vehicle a Ford Explorer, it has everything I need in a vehicle, size, comfort, power, great cargo area.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:46 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
I would go for the Traverse it has the most space out of the bunch. It also rides super quiet, Also has a very good amount of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive