Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would also check out the Highlander, 4Runner, and Nissan Pathfinder if I were you. I would pick one of those before any that you listed.
I agree, though none of them get very good fuel economy. With the 4-Runner, you do actually get a "true" 4WD vehicle. And the poster above is wrong about the 4-Runner--a third-row seat is an option. I would add the Nissan Xterra to the list of recommended 4WD's. It is also still a "true" 4WD, though at a penalty of fuel economy and on-road comfort. The new version of the Pathfinder has left the "true" 4WD category.

I can't speak for the other that the OP mentioned, but the new Explorer is junk. My employer has a number of them in fleet service and they won't be buying any more of them. They call them a "Taurus Station Wagon" with a lame AWD system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
I pretty much ruled out Highlander because I think it pushes the 35K price ceiling I'm committed too. Pathfinder, I admit, I never considered. Perhaps, I should.

One thing I'm noting about all the vehicles I'm looking at. They seem to have more in common with one another, than different. Even the prices seem very close together when you look carefully at options.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I pretty much ruled out Highlander because I think it pushes the 35K price ceiling I'm committed too. Pathfinder, I admit, I never considered. Perhaps, I should.

One thing I'm noting about all the vehicles I'm looking at. They seem to have more in common with one another, than different. Even the prices seem very close together when you look carefully at options.
The pathfinder is more expensive than the highlander. You can get a wel equipped highlander with v6 for 30k if u stay away from the 28mpg hybrid. Try normal pricing sites.. the highlander prices will prob drop even more soon with them showing a refreshed one atvthe NY auto show in a few days.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:07 AM

600 posts, read 660,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The title says just about everything. My old Ford Explorer was totaled one month ago in a crash. Which of the SUV's above would you buy and can you supply reasons for your position. I'm trying to decide and I'm pretty torn up. I don't want to spend above 35K. Please don't respond with just a vehicle name. I want to know WHY you feel the way you do.

I'm interested getting three rows of seating, back up camera, 4 wheel drive (all wheel drive might be acceptable).

I'm perfectly happy with cloth as opposed to leather seats and I skip most other options.
I believe all of the vehicles you listed are available with AWD, not a more traditional 4wd setup. All are more like CUVs, as in car-based SUVs vs BOF SUVS like your older Explorer (I'm assuming; the new Explorer which came out in 2011 is a unibody design, all previous ones were BOF (body-on-frame)).

Given your price limitations, yep 35K is a limitation nowadays , I would go with the Mazda CX9. Mazda is no longer building them, in part because they're no longer partnered up with Ford who supplies them with the engine (3.7 V6), its a very good CUV with enough room and 3 rows of seating and dealers are offering good deals on them.

If price were no concern I would get the Explorer. A very nice vehicle with very good quality and technology but will run you about 40K if you want the package that include a rear backup cam and Ford dealers seem less willing to negotiate now. I assume they feel their vehicles are top quality and worth close to their MSRP, and given Ford's recent results few would argue with them.

The Traverse is certainly decent, its just lacking the higher quality of the Ford. It is quite roomy.

Personally I wouldn't consider the Pilot mostly due to its looks and high road noise.

The Sorento is not the value it used to be, Hyundai/Kia charge more for their vehicles than they used to, but their long-term dependability is still a question mark...

Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 AM

600 posts, read 660,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The Exploder I would rule out. Far too expensive for package content and the EcoBust has not proven to be reliable. The dealerships are loaded with EBs they can't make run and the factory has zero clue how to fix them. The Traverse is a pig on wheels especially town fuel mileage and is subject to tons of electrical gremlins. The 3.6 V6 has not proven itself yet and GM has replaced far too many engines in these units. If looks mean anything, the Pilot is appropriately named, it should be piled somewhere. If ho-hum is the goal, the Pilot is yer car. The Sorento, have they really fixed the screwed up trannys in these things- I don't think so. If resale means anything at another dealership, avoid any Kia. That leaves the Mazda. This is the one I would drive straight to and drive away with one. But I'm not buying anything like it so ultimately it's up to the OP to figure out what his needs are and what makes him happy to get into at the mall. Frankly, all of the 2013 cars, SUVs, and trucks are boring. While build quality has gone up a lot, engineering quality has dropped like a rock. None are worth the asking price and all are going to have issues far too soon. I'd be looking for a low mileage used.
Horrible advice, and misleading statements all around (except rating the Mazda high)!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
On that list, I like the Mazda CX-9 as it offers a very good value in the segment, overall, and handles very well. The Pilot was not bad when it was introduced, 2009 for the second generation, and despite its freshened appearance, it's an older design, due to be replaced by a new model in the next year or so. I would look more toward a CPO Acura MDX if looking at Honda because the SH-AWD is a very advanced system. The Highalnder is a great recommendation, too, though it can be difficult to stay under $35k because many seem to be loaded with options on the dealer lots.

The Traverse is comfortable, and I know someone who has one in which I have ridden a few times. It's not bad, though there's nothing about it that I find compelling. It's a decent vehicle, with ample cargo room and decent third row. If you could get one at a good price, that would be worth considering. However, I don't know that I would go out of my way for a Traverse. Perhaps I am clouded by the platform-sharing Enclave that seems to excel in the class, albeit starting at a higher price point.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,188,113 times
They're all good out of those, but I'd pick the Honda.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:46 PM

227 posts, read 1,105,038 times
The best suv for your price is highlander or if you can't afford that get rav 4 without wheel in back.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,012,991 times
My pick out of the 3 Lambada vehicles (Traverse, Enclave an Acadia all of them have 7 or 8 passenger seating.
) I choose the Acadia. Why? I like the exterior of the Acadia, but that just my opinion.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,141,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
My pick out of the 3 Lambada vehicles (Traverse, Enclave an Acadia all of them have 7 or 8 passenger seating.
) I choose the Acadia. Why? I like the exterior of the Acadia, but that just my opinion.
Of those 3 I would choose the Enclave even though I prefer the styling of the Acadia. They drive slightly differently. The Enclave is the quietest for road noise (which is big in my book), and handles like a car. The Acadia is fine, just slightly more truck like with looser steering than the Enclave. I've never driven the Traverse, but seeing as I don't like it, it's not a contender for me.

Love the way the new Pathfinder handles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive