Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which generation do you prefer?
Old School 83 54.61%
New School 69 45.39%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:35 PM

24,513 posts, read 33,325,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
The unstylish junk from years past generally wasn't kept around. The things that are left from that era are either good quality and functional or pretty. Unfortunately, the old cars are pretty but not functional- at least not by modern standards. They're nice to look at, but not great for driving with few exceptions.
I drive my two 1960/1970s "non-functional" cars quite often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:14 AM

243 posts, read 547,728 times
New school. Faster, safer, and more efficient. I don't care about old cars at all.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:24 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,826,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
"Boats?" That '70 Dodge Challenger T/A 340-6 Pack is about the same size as the new Challenger.
And the wheelbase of the '69 Dodge Charger seen in the last photo is 117", a few inches less than the 120" of the new Charger.

What I posted were mid-sized and pony cars. If you think those are "boats," you should see the full-sized cars of that era (though I am sure you have).

Some of us don't like to look at modern cars with hilarious/ugly/soap dish "styling."

But the wings (stabilizer, actually) and the front nose cone on the '69 Charger Daytona and '70 Plymouth Superbird were there for a purpose... for better aerodynamics and to win NASCAR races! And they certainly blended in with the car better than the ridiculous one seen on foreign cars. Since the rear stabilizer was above the roof on those cars, they were actually functional, unlike those silly ones on the cars you mentioned, which shall remain nameless.
The wing on the 05/6 Impreza STi is functional.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Mid-sizers of that time were boats. Full sizers were ships and land yachts, depending on the model.

The one good thing you can say about cars from back then is that NASCAR of the time actually used them rather than fake imitation shells on something else. However, they provided little downforce, and probably acted more like rudders. We don't need rudders these days, we have steering and suspension that actually work, and only need something to hold the car down.

You see, these days we want no overhangs, they serve very little purpose except to annoy people when they block the walkway with it. Push the wheels out to the corners and give us more stability.
The superbird and daytona were designed by those guys who build space shuttles. The wing clear the trunk you saying nasa dont know crap about aerodynamics?

Old 07-20-2013, 01:48 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,606 times
Quote:
So they were all in fact the size of tennis courts, just like the hugest of the huge sedans of today. Thank you for proving my point for me.

Cars of today are little unsafe grocery karts inside a sardine can. They are too small for a family to make much of a trip in. It's funny, my neighbors has a smaller mid size car, Ford Crown Vic that is a 2008, and her son had this "that's a huge car, there is no reason to have a tank like that" stupidity thing. So when his aunt and 3 cousins came in at the airport, the son went to pick her up in his "avg. car, a Toyota camery. It was hilarious when with his stuff filling up the little glove box of a trunk, they didn't have room for their luggage. They ended up tying stuff on top the car. When his aunt and cousins left, he asked his Mom if he could "borrow" her car to take them back to the airport. rofl

Old 07-20-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
The wing on the 05/6 Impreza STi is functional.
But it's so close to the trunk lid... how can it be effective?

Old 07-20-2013, 02:46 AM

A crown vic is a full size car, wtf are you smoking?

Not on the STi its not. Its nearly a foot tall. I meant 04/5

It is based off the car designed for the wrc and uses the same exact wing, the hood scoop is for the top mount intercooler before someone says something stupid about this 300hp awd beast.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:23 PM

The rear spoiler isn't very tall. It doesn't clear the roofline which means most of the air meant for the spoiler is blocked by the roof and back window.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:45 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The rear spoiler isn't very tall. It doesn't clear the roofline which means most of the air meant for the spoiler is blocked by the roof and back window.
Spoken by someone who clearly doesn't know how aerodynamics works. Particularly how the vacuum formed at the passing of the rear window pulls air back down along the trunk line.

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro using Tapatalk 2.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Spoken by someone who clearly doesn't know how aerodynamics works. Particularly how the vacuum formed at the passing of the rear window pulls air back down along the trunk line.
And yet not as effective as the rear stabilizer on the Charger Daytona and Plymouth Superbird. I have been reading about cars for over 35 years, so I am familiar with aerodynamics, among other things.

Incidentally, the 2006-'07 Impreza STi had a cd (coefficient of drag) of 0.33; the '69 Dodge Charger Daytona had a cd of only 0.29.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive