Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which generation do you prefer?
Old School 83 54.61%
New School 69 45.39%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM

24,480 posts, read 26,017,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
And yet not as effective as the rear stabilizer on the Charger Daytona and Plymouth Superbird. I have been reading about cars for over 35 years, so I am familiar with aerodynamics, among other things.

Incidentally, the 2006-'07 Impreza STi had a cd (coefficient of drag) of 0.33; the '69 Dodge Charger Daytona had a cd of only 0.29.
But in the grand scheme of things you need to take into consideration what the car is being used for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 05:24 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
But in the grand scheme of things you need to take into consideration what the car is being used for.
Yes, that's true. We do know that the Charger Daytona (and Plymouth Superbird) were meant for NASCAR racing. And the only reason they were available to the public was to classify them as a production car.

Highly unlikely that you or I would drive one of those for their intended purpose!

Old 07-20-2013, 05:42 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Cars of today are little unsafe grocery karts inside a sardine can. They are too small for a family to make much of a trip in. It's funny, my neighbors has a smaller mid size car, Ford Crown Vic that is a 2008, and her son had this "that's a huge car, there is no reason to have a tank like that" stupidity thing. So when his aunt and 3 cousins came in at the airport, the son went to pick her up in his "avg. car, a Toyota camery. It was hilarious when with his stuff filling up the little glove box of a trunk, they didn't have room for their luggage. They ended up tying stuff on top the car. When his aunt and cousins left, he asked his Mom if he could "borrow" her car to take them back to the airport. rofl
You mean a full size/ large car has about 4 cu ft more trunk space than a mid size CamEry??
Amazing....
Btw, not withstanding youre anectdotal evidence. By raw numbers todays cars are much safer.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:20 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Cars of today are little unsafe grocery karts inside a sardine can. They are too small for a family to make much of a trip in. It's funny, my neighbors has a smaller mid size car, Ford Crown Vic that is a 2008, and her son had this "that's a huge car, there is no reason to have a tank like that" stupidity thing. So when his aunt and 3 cousins came in at the airport, the son went to pick her up in his "avg. car, a Toyota camery. It was hilarious when with his stuff filling up the little glove box of a trunk, they didn't have room for their luggage. They ended up tying stuff on top the car. When his aunt and cousins left, he asked his Mom if he could "borrow" her car to take them back to the airport. rofl
Clearly someone has never heard the word "hatchback." Then again, calling a Crown Vic a "smaller midsize" proves a tenuous grasp of reality.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:23 PM

64 posts, read 193,139 times
New School cars are great when it comes to fuel efficiency, and safety. Most also have a better ride, torque, and 0 to 60 capability (it depends on the make/model tho).

Old School cars are great when it comes to being able to tell them apart from other cars (most of the time) and if you have the money/means you can afford the gas for them, and even upgrade certain aspects of their design, to get really close to the safety, reliability, smoother ride, and speed/torque of newer cars. Although, depending on the make/model of older cars, altering them may be blasphemous.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, that's true. We do know that the Charger Daytona (and Plymouth Superbird) were meant for NASCAR racing. And the only reason they were available to the public was to classify them as a production car.

Highly unlikely that you or I would drive one of those for their intended purpose!
yeah but a production 2013 Shelby GT500 will do 200MPH and is pretty affordable compared to a original 1970's Superbird or Charger Daytona.

We Gun for 200 mph in the 2013 Shelby GT500 - YouTube

Old 07-20-2013, 10:04 PM

812 posts, read 1,471,010 times
This is like arguing whether an 18 year old kid would be better off going to college or trekking through the Himalayas or something. Obviously, its more sensible to go to college. But maybe its more awesome to spend a few years trekking the Himalayas. One is practical the other has style/flair/individuality.

It's like wondering whether it's better to be a dentist or an artist. The world needs both. Most will think being a dentist is 10,000X more sensible than being an artist. Others would rather "live" and be "themselves" than just do the practical thing.

I see thousands of cars on the road every week, but only "notice" a few. Those few almost always have style and were made before 1975 or so. There's something incredibly nostalgic and awesome about classic American cars, especially from the mid 20th Century hayday. Thank goodness some people are keeping a few of those things in good shape and stoke the rest of us with the eye candy they are. I've been so appreciative of seeing that American history on wheels over the years I recently got me an old 1968 Chevy I've wanted for decades and will have that thing restored in a few more months. Totally unpractical, but I've done the "practical" thing my whole stinkin' life and now have the money so why the heck not? I'll always have some boring soulless modern car for daily transportation. Boring modern cars are obviously more practical, like a dishwasher is better at washing dishes than fine art on the wall. Dishwashers are for washing dishes and art is for enriching your life. Old school cars enrich your life AND the lives of so many others who just enjoy seeing the style, history, romance, and nostalgia they physically represent.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah but a production 2013 Shelby GT500 will do 200MPH and is pretty affordable compared to a original 1970's Superbird or Charger Daytona.
Kind of an apples to oranges comparison, being so many decades apart. The new Shelby has a 40+ year technology advantage and don't some have a factory supercharger?

About the Charger Daytona, in 1969, Bobby Isaac stated that anyone could go and hit 180 mph straight out of the showroom with the 426-Hemi under the hood. Not bad for a detuned engine (with no supercharger) and a list price (new) between $4,000 and $5,000.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
This is like arguing whether an 18 year old kid would be better off going to college or trekking through the Himalayas or something. Obviously, its more sensible to go to college. But maybe its more awesome to spend a few years trekking the Himalayas. One is practical the other has style/flair/individuality.

It's like wondering whether it's better to be a dentist or an artist. The world needs both. Most will think being a dentist is 10,000X more sensible than being an artist. Others would rather "live" and be "themselves" than just do the practical thing.

I see thousands of cars on the road every week, but only "notice" a few. Those few almost always have style and were made before 1975 or so. There's something incredibly nostalgic and awesome about classic American cars, especially from the mid 20th Century hayday. Thank goodness some people are keeping a few of those things in good shape and stoke the rest of us with the eye candy they are. I've been so appreciative of seeing that American history on wheels over the years I recently got me an old 1968 Chevy I've wanted for decades and will have that thing restored in a few more months. Totally unpractical, but I've done the "practical" thing my whole stinkin' life and now have the money so why the heck not? I'll always have some boring soulless modern car for daily transportation. Boring modern cars are obviously more practical, like a dishwasher is better at washing dishes than fine art on the wall. Dishwashers are for washing dishes and art is for enriching your life. Old school cars enrich your life AND the lives of so many others who just enjoy seeing the style, history, romance, and nostalgia they physically represent.
Good post!

At the weekly (and other less frequent) car show I stop by at, there are plenty of '50s-'70s cars to enjoy and admire. Even some '40s cars. I hope that 50 and even 100 years from now, those cars will still be around for future generations to see. Because, IMO, the mid-to-late '50s and '60s were probably the peak for American cars in styling and uniqueness.

What you posted above reminds me of a line from The Simpsons TV show:

Homer (to his brother Herb): "Are you sure you want to give me a car?"
Herb: "Do you know what these cost me? There's probably $40 worth of steel in them."

Old 07-21-2013, 02:07 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
So will cars from today be classics and eye candy to people 40 years from now? And I don't mean the Camry, Civic, or Fusion. I am talking the Mustang, Camaro, 370z, CTS-V, SSR, Challenger, XTS, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive