Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I don't see myself having a self driving car. Ever. What's the point of even having a driver's seat then? I like driving and being involved. I don't use a cell phone when I drive. I have a 6 spd, so that's one reason, but even when I'm driving our automatic SUV's I don't use the phone except in some rare exceptions.

If there's any application where a self driving car might make sense to me, it would be on some ultra luxury car like a Bentley or Rolls Royce, where the owner typically gets driven around by a chauffeur anyway while they sit in the backseat watching tv, using the massaging chairs, and drinking some chilled drinks from the wine cooler.

Long trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
There are a few of these systems semi-autonomous systems on the market at this time (the new Infiniti Q50 and Mercedes S Class) and Nissan/Infiniti take things a bit further by actually steering the car by a certain number of degrees via the steer by wire setup. Pretty impressive stuff from an engineering stand point!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
Actually they are usually working while trying to earn the money to pay for the rolls Royce and the driver.
Nobody makes enough money "working" to buy a RR or a Bentley. They are paid for with capital gains, which accrue while they are driving around in them.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:40 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
A few years ago the idea of many things now taken for granted were considered unlikely or impractical. Examples include what "phones" and tablets can/will do, home security and automation, self flying planes, space and military apps/weapons, retailing, shopping and cooking...

Technologies like voice recognition, GPS, various sensors, robotics, lasers, etc are combining with software to enable more and more "apps".

Fully "self driving cars" and variations as well as other means of non-participatory transportation will evolve (probably rapidly). Eventually the most practical and effective will become common. Things like this are already in various stages of brainstorming, prototyping, testing, etc. Companies like Toyota, Mercedes, Audi, and even GOOGLE (and therefore their competitors and universities...) are examples of those doing work in the 'auto auto' area. The potential is huge...

The cell phone and texting "problem" just highlights one of the many reasons this stuff will "add value(?)" to the human lifestyle of the future. Some day actually driving a vehicle may be remembered in folklore and history books (uh...not really books I suppose)..."hot rodders" will modify control systems to take shortcuts, accelerrate faster, or exceed the programmed speeds etc.

Self-Driving Cars: Traveling On Autopilot - FORTUNE on CNNMoney

Audi's Self-Piloted Car Picks You Up - YouTube

Elon Musk's Hyperloop Vision: High-Speed Pods in Steel Tubes | Entrepreneur.com

Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Long, long before cell phones, the 50's to be exact, there was discussion about one day people would sit in their vehicles and sensors would be embedded in the roads to guide the vehicle through it's journey.
Cell phones had nothing to do with it.
The idea of driverless vehicles has been around a long time.
Bob.
calguy is right, in fact it goes back further than the fifties though, try the thirties. they were touting ths possibility of driverless cars for the fifties at the 1937 chicago worlds fair. in fact, it has been suggested over the decades since that either the cars themselves through computer technology, or more often, robot technology would allow the average person to ride around in their car doing what ever they wish to do.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:13 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
It may have been talked about way back when, but the tech for it has only started coming out in the last 10 years. (not including abs and cruise)

Old 09-26-2013, 01:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I don't see myself having a self driving car. Ever. What's the point of even having a driver's seat then? I like driving and being involved. I don't use a cell phone when I drive. I have a 6 spd, so that's one reason, but even when I'm driving our automatic SUV's I don't use the phone except in some rare exceptions.
The point is, even for those of us who like an involved driving experience, there are times when driving is far more of a chore than an involving experience. There is nothing exhilarating about being stuck in stop-and-go traffic for half an hour. Long-distance interestate trips become mundane after a while. Sometimes it would be nice to let the car take over. What's more, the automated systems coming online are not going to be 100% autonomous and periodic driver intervention will be necessary.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
It may have been talked about way back when, but the tech for it has only started coming out in the last 10 years. (not including abs and cruise)
true for the most part. VW has been developing the technology since the mid 80s that allows multi car drafts on the freeway with the lead car doing all the driving, and the following cars taking their cue from the lead car. mercedes has also been working on that technology as well. and so has japan. granted it was in its infancy back then, but the technology has taken off in the late 90s what with DARPA and others trying to figure out how to make cars "see" what is going on around them, and to react to what it "sees".

Old 09-26-2013, 01:59 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
true for the most part. VW has been developing the technology since the mid 80s that allows multi car drafts on the freeway with the lead car doing all the driving, and the following cars taking their cue from the lead car. mercedes has also been working on that technology as well. and so has japan. granted it was in its infancy back then, but the technology has taken off in the late 90s what with DARPA and others trying to figure out how to make cars "see" what is going on around them, and to react to what it "sees".
As I alluded to...a lot of smart people with a lot of increasingly sophisticated technologies, many are tools that act as further technology enablers...and when groups focus on specific problem areas things can move rapidly, at least to the next stopper.

...one day at a time...one small step.

Early on more human 'intervention' and control will be required...but, this could continue to evolve to some very full "auto auto" result...maybe beyond non-experts to foresee.

Anyway none of us will see the 'end state'

Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post

Anyway none of us will see the 'end state'
If by that you mean cars/transportation will continuously evolve until the end of possibility/time, then yes I agree with you.

or If by that you mean the fully-autonomous car, I disagree as there will be regular infrastructure for it by 2050, in my view.

OR if by that you mean the world may end or go into WWIII or apocalypse / dystopia in the next few decades, then yes I agree with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive