Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 01:40 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
The performance chip always cracked me up. You could gain so much HP or whatever just by adding this damn chip lol.

Wha? These work with the right chip. My neighbour has one in is F-250 Super Duty diesel. He can also select different "stages" if you will, depending on what he's hauling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 03:15 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Some of those are based on claims from the manufacturer of those parts. K&N claims a 5-11HP boost. Some header companies claim up to a 40HP gain.

Heck Ford claims I get a 15hp difference just by using premium gas (365hp) versus regular unleaded (350hp)

Some is marketing and Im sure some has merit. You can probably get 100 extra hp from a ricer motor but it will come at a steep cost (turbo charger/super charger, new cam, new heads, headers, cold air, etc etc)
If the vehicle is intended to be run on premium, and it isn't, power can definitely be lost. Common knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
What the guy was doing was adding all the promised gains to the factory HP and telling people that was his HP. Start with 120 HP, +10 for air filter, +40 for supercharger or turbo, +20 for another part, +30 for chips=220 HP.
Sounds optimistic, but the point of adding or swapping to performance parts is to add power. Only the dyno knows the real numbers.

Quote:
The performance chip always cracked me up. You could gain so much HP or whatever just by adding this damn chip lol.
Chips are real. Not the $20 ebay junk, but they can make a substantial difference,. They are basically a fixed version of what handheld tuers or laptop programs can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
We understand that, but they are the two most important things, but not the only things. The two things you posted will make a difference, but are not gonna make a night or day difference. Traction is always key, that's why the fastest cars you can buy from a dealer are all AWD with the McLaren 12c and 911 gt2rs being the only rwd up at the top that I can think of....
Ferraris? Vettes? Many of the much smaller exotic companies?

HP to weight is where every car begins. The more weight a car has the more power it needs to compete, more brakes to stop, and more suspension to manage the bulk. Colin Chapman made it his motto in regards to making cars faster-"add more lightness".

Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM

269 posts, read 535,277 times
Quote:
Another claimed HP to weight ratio was the key to a fast car. Guess the transmission and other parts plays no part in speed.
Dumbest thing I've heard is someone said that HP to weight ratio being the key to a fast car was the dumbest thing they've heard.

Weight, torque, and traction ARE the keys.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Might crack you up, but definitely true.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger427 View Post
Dumbest thing I've heard is someone said that HP to weight ratio being the key to a fast car was the dumbest thing they've heard.

Weight, torque, and traction ARE the keys.
Torque is just a function of horsepower and rpm. Traction is a given, otherwise you just said the dumbest thing you've heard is are the keys which is kind of odd.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:00 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,137 times
Anything involving a diesel engine for sure is the dumbest you will ever hear.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Torque is just a function of horsepower and rpm.
other wya around, horsepower is a function of (torque x rpm)/5252. dynos measure torque not horsepower since horsepower is a calculation.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:31 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Quote:
Back when ricing cars was hot, I heard a guy talk about the power he had thanks to all the add ons. He started with the factory horsepower. Each part he added promised a certain amount of HP increase. He'd add 5 HP for the air filter, 40 for this, 10 for that, until he added up to about a hundred HP more than factory.

Another claimed HP to weight ratio was the key to a fast car. Guess the transmission and other parts plays no part in speed.
That is how the high performance magazines of my youth, 1980s, would indicate gains with modifications. With dyno numbers with proof. I notice it is still the case.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
other wya around, horsepower is a function of (torque x rpm)/5252. dynos measure torque not horsepower since horsepower is a calculation.
HP = (T * rpm)/5252
T = (HP *5252)/rpm

Potato is potato. Torque is a function of horsepower; horse power is a function of torque. You're right about dynos measuring torque, but that doesn't have anything to do with a function being a function. If torque wasn't a function of horsepower, horsepower wouldn't be a function of torque. The calculation has to worth both ways or it's not a function.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:51 PM

269 posts, read 535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
HP = (T * rpm)/5252
T = (HP *5252)/rpm

Potato is potato. Torque is a function of horsepower; horse power is a function of torque. You're right about dynos measuring torque, but that doesn't have anything to do with a function being a function. If torque wasn't a function of horsepower, horsepower wouldn't be a function of torque. The calculation has to worth both ways or it's not a function.
Do you know anything about performance? HP is for braggin'; torque is for draggin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive