Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
HP = (T * rpm)/5252
T = (HP *5252)/rpm

Potato is potato. Torque is a function of horsepower; horse power is a function of torque. You're right about dynos measuring torque, but that doesn't have anything to do with a function being a function. If torque wasn't a function of horsepower, horsepower wouldn't be a function of torque. The calculation has to worth both ways or it's not a function.
Damn, I love it when someone speaks common sense, and knows what he/she is talking about.

I have to change what I was thinking about "dumb things you have heard" in this thread, as a couple of the former posters in this thread takes the cake.
Kudos for the correction... you beat me to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:26 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
No one's mentioned water powered cars yet. A friend of mine actually bought the plans and installed a hydrogen generator in his truck, but it made no difference whatsoever.
i thought this was about dumb things, not totally moronic things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Damn, I love it when someone speaks common sense, and knows what he/she is talking about.

I have to change what I was thinking about "dumb things you have heard" in this thread, as a couple of the former posters in this thread takes the cake.
Kudos for the correction... you beat me to it.
when you are talking about mathematical functions, he is correct, however, you cannot measure horsepower only torque, thus in reality horsepower is a function of torque and rpm and horsepower is just a calculation.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Makes me think of how great a big block T bucket would be on a road course!
Mazda RX-8 had good horsepower but way too little torque. With it's HP numbers, it should have been really fast but it's acceleration is hampered by it's lack of torque. Though great handling and OK off the line acceleration, it's acceleration from a stop and while in motion should be better but is hampered by it's lack of torque. Those big block T buckets have gobs of torque in addition to HP. For total performance, one needs good HP to weight ratio, torque, good suspension, good tires, good aerodynamics, and great brakes. Too many focus on going fast in a straight line 1/4 mile drag race. For track speed, you need all the other stuff besides HP to weight ratio.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Physics absolutely proves this statement correct. Yes the transmission matters, but that is rarely a difference maker.
Geez... the transmission is a huge factor... Since ANY engine is a resonant system, the shift points, number of shifts, and gearing ratios are a major factor. If a CVT were: 1). able to handle high HP, 2). very lightweight, 3). Not prohibitively expensive, and 4). highly efficient (yes I am asking for a lot here), then the engine could be run at its maximum output, continuously, as needed. As stated by others, issues such as traction, weight, etc. must also factor into the equations. Unless you are pushing the absolute limits of current technology, the old reliable way tends to work fairly well, until tech advances to a new generation.

(I digress as usual):
Locomotives convert a diesel (wonderful constant-rpm device) to electricity, as that is easy to control. Tugboats utilize variable-pitch thrusters...

First thing I did when I was 16 and got my first car was to 'shift-kit' a TH-400... shifted hard, but tightened it up a lot. It IS diminishing returns.... first street rod car I built (at 22) had a Lenco in it.... here is a hint... don't built a car with a tranny that has no 'reverse' for the street. But nothing else (even a Doug Nash at the time) could handle the HP reliably for the long-haul.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i thought this was about dumb things, not totally moronic things.

when you are talking about mathematical functions, he is correct, however, you cannot measure horsepower only torque, thus in reality horsepower is a function of torque and rpm and horsepower is just a calculation.
I agree with the first statement... First question I would have to the other poster is "where does the power come from to split the hydrogen and oxygen. (Nuclear power fan here ;-)

(I digress AGAIN)
For the 2nd statement.. lol... that is like saying someone can't measure centimeters, only inches, and has to do a conversion. Units conversion is something you learn in middle school (or elementary, depending on your school system).
If you want to go the (really trivial) physics route, p=mv. If I measure two out of the three parameters, I know the third. I can 'measure' any of them. 9th grade physics.
Even more extreme is: the number '7' cannot be measured value, as it is the mathematical conversion based upon " 7 = 3 + 4".
Silly enough?

How about we get back to the "dumbest things you've heard", as it relates to Automotive thread.

I have a few votes:

1). A large fraction of the stuff they used to sell at J.C. Whitney. Loved the 'pills' you would add to gas to 'improve fuel economy'

2). 'Motor Honey', added to the oil... was great if you wanted to sell a car, and the oil rings or valves allowed enough oil leakage to make the 'blue smoke of death'.

3). Open exhaust improved performance (may we have a moment of silence for all the ruined exhaust valves?).
Geez, the engine is a tuned system... intake and exhaust must be essentially impedance-matched.

4). 'Fart cans'.
Yes, you want to get noticed, your car scrapes the ground at every pothole, but the statement 'cubic inches is the easiest way to make power' rings true. This is old school, but a simple mountain motor in a sleeper with the basic 4bbl, headers, cam, will make WAY more torque (and HP), over a wide RPM range than any sewing machine motor in a toy import. That is before delving into the blower realm, etc.)

5). Car wax advertisements that state 'improved fuel economy'.
Probably not total fallacy (maybe an improvement rivaling 10^-6 something), but I would wager you would gain orders of magnitude of improvement by turning the 'Comfortron' unit off in your land yacht.

I could go on for hours. (there are actually some really innovative enhancements that both work well, and are cost-effective.)

Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes horsepower IS a mathematical function, and torque is a measurement of that function. as i said you cannot measure horsepower, only calculate it.
The word you're looking is variable, not measurement.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:43 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
The dumbest thing I have heard ever is a dealership mechanic telling me 'we can't duplicate your problem'. Of course you can't...you took it for a 1/4 mile drive down a straight road at 35mph whereas I sit behind the wheel for an hour at a time driving through who knows what.

They say that to everyone and the problems rarely are fixed to the customer's satisfaction.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The dumbest thing I have heard ever is a dealership mechanic telling me 'we can't duplicate your problem'. Of course you can't...you took it for a 1/4 mile drive down a straight road at 35mph whereas I sit behind the wheel for an hour at a time driving through who knows what.

They say that to everyone and the problems rarely are fixed to the customer's satisfaction.
Along that line, Norfolk VA is notorious for ripoff used car dealers who advertise "we finance E-4 and below". One dealer (1990s) tried to say an Olds 442 was all original (with a Chevy 350) inside.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Along that line, Norfolk VA is notorious for ripoff used car dealers who advertise "we finance E-4 and below". One dealer (1990s) tried to say an Olds 442 was all original (with a Chevy 350) inside.
all 4-4-2 means is a 4-barrel carb, a 4-speed tranny and dual exhaust plus they came stock with aboat anchor 307ci Olds back in the G-body days and a 350 SBC was a very common swap and would of been better to have 3500ci SBC already swapped in IMO

Old 11-17-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
all 4-4-2 means is a 4-barrel carb, a 4-speed tranny and dual exhaust plus they came stock with aboat anchor 307ci Olds back in the G-body days and a 350 SBC was a very common swap and would of been better to have 3500ci SBC already swapped in IMO
I was talking about the real 442 of the mid to late 60s era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive