Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
When did the speed limit become a minimum and not the maximum speed allowed by law?
I used to speed, now with gas being so expensive (and being older) I drive the speed limit and often in a 65 or 70 zone I drive 55. I find my truck gets 25 mpg if I drive with a light pedal and 13 mpg if I speed. 25 mpg is not bad for a Ford 4x4 with a V8.
I never sped on city streets, I was hit by a car walking home from kindergarten as a youth and I have a thing about speeding in populaces.
It didn't. There's just a bunch of people that hope that if they talk and act that way, we'll all think they're cool and that it SHOULD be the minimum. Just like there are people who think that it's cool to text and drive. No difference in attitude whatsoever, no matter what they claim or are able to comprehend. The texters, just like the excessive speeders, say to themselves and anyone who will listen, "Well, I am so good that I can text/speed and drive at the same time with no consequences," thinking their rationalizations aren't obvious to everyone who hears them (except the other people who want to text/speed and use the same rationalization). Very much like the ostrich with his head in the sand thinking no one else can see him and his tail feathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 08:52 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,800,412 times
Do you obey the speed limit on highways?

What speed limit?

Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,119,095 times
Quote:
I used to speed, now with gas being so expensive (and being older) I drive the speed limit and often in a 65 or 70 zone I drive 55. I find my truck gets 25 mpg if I drive with a light pedal and 13 mpg if I speed. 25 mpg is not bad for a Ford 4x4 with a V8.
Pretty much my sentiment. I found that my cars start getting much worse gas mileage above 65. And it really drops off above 70.

I hate it when I'm driving on the local commuter Interstate (I-270 from Frederick to the DC Beltway) There are 4 lanes I'm one from the right doing 65 (10 over the limit) and some idiot comes up behind me flashes his brights then leaves them on and sits 15 feet off my bumper. I'm not in the right lane because that is where all the entering and exiting traffic is (and it goes away in a couple exits) but there are 2 lanes to my left! and I'm already at the limit+10!

Or in the 2 lane section further out where I'm doing 69 in the right lane (65 limit) and the idiots brother does the same thing. Where does he want me to drive?

I never see a trooper on the road (except out of district ones going to or from work) And everyone knows there isn't any enforcement on the road

Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,600,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
It is sort of amusing when people wag their fingers and say it's OK for me to break the law just a little bit, but you people who are breaking the law just a little bit more than me are irresponsible .

Is it only me who finds this as illogical as all get-out?

Yes it is only you. So you find going 30 over is the same as going 5 over? Sorry, but I call going 30 over very irresponsible compared to 5 over.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,481,650 times
In my case regarding fuel efficiency, I will sacrifice mpg because I enjoy driving my car fast. If I wanted big mpg I would have bought a hybrid or something else that was gutless and got 40+ mpg. I know the risk of police presence, that is why I downloaded a GPS app that also alerts me to cops. If I still manage to get pulled over I know it is my fault.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,463,112 times
My job depends on me having a driver's license. I also have a CDL.

Therefore, I am very careful not to speed as my livelyhood depends on me not losing my license.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Last edited by Bludy-L; 11-25-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 10:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
Yes I try to when traffic makes it poosible.Why;because I don't want to be one of those whing about getting a speeding ticket actually.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:46 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,821,444 times
Do the speed limit on the Ike here and you'll get eaten alive. I love driving the Ike, except during rush hour. There's only two speeds allowed. A slow crawl or law breaking fast.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,042,763 times
Quote:
When did the speed limit become a minimum and not the maximum speed allowed by law?
I never sped on city streets, I was hit by a car walking home from kindergarten as a youth and I have a thing about speeding in populaces.
Driving 55 in a 65 or 70 zone can be just as dangerous as speeding. It's not speeding that's the problem, it's speed variance that creates much of the danger. Both positive & negative speed variance are equally dangerous.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:46 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,822,236 times
I go the speed limit in the slow lane. I'm 34 (so not an old fogie), but I like driving. I find it very relaxing, and I leave early enough to make sure that I'm where I need to be at the time I need to be there, so I don't feel the need to speed. If I were to speed, I'd get to my destination faster, and my driving time (which I find relaxing) would be cut short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive