Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:07 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times

Advertisements

these days everyone seems to be lobbying for some sort of government intervention in everything from oil speculators to fannie mae shareholders to cafe standards etc.
i am not a big fan of regulations and laws but very few people seem to be concerned about "big brother" so while every useless proposal is on the table maybe it's time for one which would actually make a difference:

all vehicles(truck, semis, suv's, sedans) of a certain weight should be subject to a national speed limit. there are 2 spinoffs here. the heaviest cars are (in most cases, not every case) to a larger degree responsible for our oil addiction and by them driving slower we could significantly reduce demand.
the second reason is to protect drivers in smaller cars. there are many people out there who would be more than happy to drive a corolla over an excursion. the problem is that many feel less safe and end up buying the gas guzzler therefore creating a vicious circle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:12 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Why? Drivers paid for their fuel and the tax on it... they should get to burn it just like anyone else.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Why? Drivers paid for their fuel and the tax on it... they should get to burn it just like anyone else.

they are a danger to people who chose to drive smaller cars. most heavy vehicles especially suv's and trucks have very poor braking performance and their ability to swerve at speed without rolling is questionable!

in case you haven't noticed we as a country are being held ransom by oil producers and seriously need to curb our consumption!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,128 times
OMG that is rediculous!!

My suburban sits in my drive way not going anywhere these days .

To impose on my FREEDOM is the hyp of stupidity!

Driving limits I have a speed limit in place in front of my daycare ........ and i can tell u what cars do not obey it ..its those little teens in sports cars!

Your window seems to be blocking the whole view!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
OMG that is rediculous!!

My suburban sits in my drive way not going anywhere these days .

To impose on my FREEDOM is the hyp of stupidity!

Driving limits I have a speed limit in place in front of my daycare ........ and i can tell u what cars do not obey it ..its those little teens in sports cars!

Your window seems to be blocking the whole view!
what's rediculous [sic] the speed limit? the fact that these leviathans are a danger to those driving smaller vehicles? the fact that the elevated bohemoths can't swerve without rolling? the fact that the heavier the car the worse the braking performance(in most cases)?

at some point we're going to have to address our addiction. the 55mph national limit was used during the embargo and has been touted by some as a solution. why not punish the main culprits first?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
they are a danger to people who chose to drive smaller cars. most heavy vehicles especially suv's and trucks have very poor braking performance and their ability to swerve at speed without rolling is questionable!

in case you haven't noticed we as a country are being held ransom by oil producers and seriously need to curb our consumption!
If we can affect the situation by altering our consumption....how is it that the oil producers are holding us ransom? Seems to me that we have kicked ourselves in the nether region with our consumption.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Yep, consumption based tax seems pretty fair to me. - rep point for you.
This plan also ignores the guy that gets 20mpg but lives 4miles from work but it's ok to have an 80mile one-way commute if you get 27mpg?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If we can affect the situation by altering our consumption....how is it that the oil producers are holding us ransom? Seems to me that we have kicked ourselves in the nether region with our consumption.
the "will they, won't they up production" scenario!
there is also the "get the president to do a little dance for oil" embarrassment!

i do agree though, it was all of our own doing!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, consumption based tax seems pretty fair to me. - rep point for you.
This plan also ignores the guy that gets 20mpg but lives 4miles from work but it's ok to have an 80mile one-way commute if you get 27mpg?

the problem is that people who are thinking of getting a smaller car are put off by the presence of these speeding monstrosities!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:54 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
the problem is that people who are thinking of getting a smaller car are put off by the presence of these speeding monstrosities!
Do you have any stats to back up these wild assumptions of yours?? I don't know a single person who drives an SUV out of fear, and I know a lot of SUV drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive