Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Fight every ticket.
This one was out of state for me. It didn't go on my license. I got a nice break from the officer, so I didn't fight it further. I didn't the effort was worth the possible benefit.

I was actually tempted to fight it. I've always found traffic court pretty entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
This one was out of state for me. It didn't go on my license. I got a nice break from the officer, so I didn't fight it further. I didn't the effort was worth the possible benefit.

I was actually tempted to fight it. I've always found traffic court pretty entertaining.
New York and Connecticut have reciprocal reporting of traffic violations. If you didn't specifically seek and receive court supervision or whatever they call it to keep it off your record from the jurisdiction where the ticket was issued... it's on your record now.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:18 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
New York and Connecticut have reciprocal reporting of traffic violations. If you didn't specifically seek and receive court supervision or whatever they call it to keep it off your record from the jurisdiction where the ticket was issued... it's on your record now.
DMV told me otherwise. They said it would be off my record as long as I paid it. I'll order up a driving abstract to be sure.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Not if the posted speed limit is illegally underposted.
You mean someone sneaks out there in the middle of the night and puts up a speed limit sign that is not authorized by the legal statutes of the state in question? That's really the only way there could be an "illegal" posted speed limit.

Otherwise, whether you personally like the particular speed limit or not, the speed limits are set by the state statutes or entities authorized by the state statutes to set them and thus are, by definition, legally posted.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:04 AM

416 posts, read 871,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I like the way you think. It's exactly the same with me. I hsve a 530i. What model do you hsve?
2011 328. It's my first BMW so I went economical. It works very well for me and it's a fantastic car.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You mean someone sneaks out there in the middle of the night and puts up a speed limit sign that is not authorized by the legal statutes of the state in question? That's really the only way there could be an "illegal" posted speed limit.

The local politicans put speed limits in place which violate state law.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 AM

What state? I'd like to read the statutes. In many states, local authorities are given the authority by the state to set the speed limits in their own communities.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 AM

For example, the Texas Transportation Code:

§ 545.356. AUTHORITY OF MUNICIPALITY TO ALTER SPEED LIMITS.

(a) The governing body of a municipality, for a highway or part of a highway in the municipality, including a highway of the state highway system, has the same authority to alter by ordinance prima facie speed limits from the results of an engineering and traffic investigation as the Texas Transportation Commission on an officially designated or marked highway of the state highway system. The governing body of a municipality may not modify the rule established by Section 545.351(a) or establish a speed limit of more than 60 miles per hour.

(b) The governing body of a municipality, for a highway or part of a highway in the municipality, including a highway of the state highway system, has the same authority to alter prima facie speed limits from the results of an engineering and traffic investigation as the commission for an officially designated or marked highway of the state highway system, when the highway or part of the highway is under repair, construction, or maintenance. A municipality may not modify the rule established by Section 545.351(a) or establish a speed limit of more than 60 miles per hour.

(b-1) Except as provided by Subsection (b-2), the governing body of a municipality, for a highway or a part of a highway in an urban district in the municipality that is not an officially designated or marked highway or road of the state highway system, is 35 feet or less in width, and along which vehicular parking is not prohibited on one or both sides of the highway, may declare a lower speed limit of not less than 25 miles per hour, if the governing body determines that the prima facie speed limit on the highway is unreasonable or unsafe.

(b-2) Subsection (b-1) does not apply to a highway or part of a highway that has four or more lanes used for vehicular travel.

(c) A prima facie speed limit that is altered by the governing body of a municipality under Subsection (b) or (b-1) is effective when the governing body erects signs giving notice of the new limit and at all times or at other times as determined.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
For example, the Texas Transportation Code:

§ 545.356. AUTHORITY OF MUNICIPALITY TO ALTER SPEED LIMITS.

(a) The governing body of a municipality, for a highway or part of a highway in the municipality, including a highway of the state highway system, has the same authority to alter by ordinance prima facie speed limits from the results of an engineering and traffic investigation as the Texas Transportation Commission on an officially designated or marked highway of the state highway system. The governing body of a municipality may not modify the rule established by Section 545.351(a) or establish a speed limit of more than 60 miles per hour.

(b) The governing body of a municipality, for a highway or part of a highway in the municipality, including a highway of the state highway system, has the same authority to alter prima facie speed limits from the results of an engineering and traffic investigation as the commission for an officially designated or marked highway of the state highway system, when the highway or part of the highway is under repair, construction, or maintenance. A municipality may not modify the rule established by Section 545.351(a) or establish a speed limit of more than 60 miles per hour.

(b-1) Except as provided by Subsection (b-2), the governing body of a municipality, for a highway or a part of a highway in an urban district in the municipality that is not an officially designated or marked highway or road of the state highway system, is 35 feet or less in width, and along which vehicular parking is not prohibited on one or both sides of the highway, may declare a lower speed limit of not less than 25 miles per hour, if the governing body determines that the prima facie speed limit on the highway is unreasonable or unsafe.

(b-2) Subsection (b-1) does not apply to a highway or part of a highway that has four or more lanes used for vehicular travel.

(c) A prima facie speed limit that is altered by the governing body of a municipality under Subsection (b) or (b-1) is effective when the governing body erects signs giving notice of the new limit and at all times or at other times as determined.
That's just asking for trouble. Speed limits must be set according to sound engineering standards & nothing else.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:23 AM

17,600 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
That's just asking for trouble. Speed limits must be set according to sound engineering standards & nothing else.
Just "engineering standards"? Not safety? I hope by engineering standards you're including line of visibility, cross traffic, type of wild life that may enter roadway (deer, moose, elk), and other conditions that may effect driver safety if going too fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive