Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 06:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And yet you think people who break other laws, namely the passing lane ones, should face no penalty. Odd.

And seriously, did you even read the source you cited. It by no means found that it is legal to drive in the left lane without passing. If that is your contention you either didn't read it or are lying.

What that source found was that the stop was bad because there were many cars on the road, too short a distance, and so on. By no means did it remotely prove that this is not the law in your state:

"Sec. 545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right half of the roadway, unless:
(1) the operator is passing another vehicle;

(2) an obstruction necessitates moving the vehicle left of the center of the roadway and the operator yields the right-of-way to a vehicle that:
(A) is moving in the proper direction on the unobstructed portion of the roadway; and
(B) is an immediate hazard;
(3) the operator is on a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic; or
(4) the operator is on a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(c) An operator on a roadway having four or more lanes for moving vehicles and providing for two-way movement of vehicles may not drive left of the center line of the roadway except:
(1) as authorized by an official traffic-control device designating a specified lane to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by a vehicle not otherwise permitted to use the lane;
(2) under the conditions described by Subsection (a)(2); or
(3) in crossing the center line to make a left turn into or out of an alley, private road, or driveway.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995."

If you are toodling along in the left hand lane, and you are not passing someone, or the handful of other specific exceptions you are breaking the law.
If you are driving in excess of the posted speed limit, the statutes (which I have posted) also state that you are breaking the law (and both the statutes and case law state that in areas that are not posted as left lane passing only support this). You can't have just one part of the statutes to support your own lawbreaking - you have to take all of them into account.

Again, if you are obeying the law by driving the speed limit, then someone else driving the speed limit in the left lane shouldn't be a problem for you. If they are a problem for you, then you are, by definition, breaking the law yourself (and the cause of the problem, because, again, if you weren't breaking the law, you wouldn't have a problem, would you?) and have absolutely no legitimate grounds for complaining about someone else doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 AM

427 posts, read 948,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Because it is not ideal. Do you expect people to tolerate you intentionally holding them up?.
Of course not. And they shouldn't expect me to tolerate their speeding.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:26 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If you are driving in excess of the posted speed limit, the statutes (which I have posted) also state that you are breaking the law (and both the statutes and case law state that in areas that are not posted as left lane passing only support this). You can't have just one part of the statutes to support your own lawbreaking - you have to take all of them into account.

Again, if you are obeying the law by driving the speed limit, then someone else driving the speed limit in the left lane shouldn't be a problem for you. If they are a problem for you, then you are, by definition, breaking the law yourself (and the cause of the problem, because, again, if you weren't breaking the law, you wouldn't have a problem, would you?) and have absolutely no legitimate grounds for complaining about someone else doing so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post

Theres a couple things wrong with your way of thinking. 1 The places where it is the law is "keep right" does not ONLY pertain to those traveling the speed limit or less. It is still ticketable at or above the speed limit. And 2. it is not your job to "enforce" speed limits. You do not have the training or the equipment.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 AM

802 posts, read 1,683,188 times
Quote:
read the last post on the last page. This isn't about what you can tolerate. It's about safety (think of emergency vehicles) and recognizing the unequivocal fact that people will speed. No amount of left lane hogging will change that. Conversely, it probably increases people's speed on the road since they will become frustrated in their efforts to pass.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo123 View Post
i have been on the yahoo auto articles lately and there is this troll who has made me think with his argument,

"Why do drivers who pass in the left lane quickly move back over to the right if there is no one behind them for miles."

Most just insult him but I am wondering what a better response would be besides saying "Its the law"

He blames it on lazyness and says drivers dont want to look in their rear view mirror. What do you think
he is right. I usually move over because I can move at the speed I want to move in the right/middle lane and don't want to have to worry about someone coming up behind me that ill need to move for.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM

802 posts, read 1,683,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
he is right. I usually move over because I can move at the speed I want to move in the right/middle lane and don't want to have to worry about someone coming up behind me that ill need to move for.
read the guy's comment again. He said that he does NOT understand why people move over.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
They should expect you to not be self righteous, holier than thou, speed limit vigilante causing problems for the vast majority of people and police who don't drive or enforce the speed limit.

You're no better than this Seattle driver (worst in the country).
Study: Seattle drivers among the worst in the country | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Quote:
there are some local drivers willing to admit they're causing problems on the road.

"I'm the other guy," said one man who didn't want to be named. "I'm that guy."

He admits he's one of the drivers giving all of Seattle a bad name.

"I don't make mistakes," he said. "I do things on purpose. I'm going to do what I want to do. I'm going to cut you off. I don't care."

Old 12-23-2013, 12:17 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I pass those left-lane hogs on the right, a fairly large percentage of them react with wild hand gestures and what looks like shouting. More than likely, just as they don't know that it is illegal to cruise in the left lane when not passing someone, these oblivious morons probably also think that it is illegal to pass on the right on a multi-lane highway.

I think actually the people that are doing this are usually the barney fife type of people who think they are actually law enforcement and should be able to control how fast you go, so they are doing it on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
When I come up fast on idiots oblivious to others behind them in the left lane, I flash my lights for them to get over. If I have to slow down, you will get the "one finger salute" and a dirty look as I pass.
I will usually flash my lights a time or two, but if I do have to pass on the right, I usually just move on by, unless it truly looks like someone is oblivious. I used to be a shoot them the bird kind of guy when I was in my 20s but now that I am a little bit older, I realized if they are doing it on purpose, I am not changing their mind and there is too much chance to incite road rage and endanger myself, them and the others around me. I want them to stay behind me anyway so I can go about my business, not try to get into some kind of war, even if it is only a 1% kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Even if you are doing 85 mph, someone will always be driving faster than you.

When I drive, I look ahead very far and prepare myself early.

The faster you drive, the further ahead you need to look... Because simple math says that the faster you drive, the more distance you cover in a given amount of time.

I look ahead nearly as far as I can see on the highway.

Left laners just cause traffic because most people drive around 75 and theres always someone driving slower than that in the left lane. JUST because youre driving 75, doesnt mean you have to lock the lanes.

Personally, I cringe when I have to pass on the right because its such a risk.

Also people get nervous when they approach a trailer or a 18 wheeler and will freeze up as they approach.. When its very simple to accelerate and pass quickly so other drivers can do the same.

I feel exactly the same way. If I am going 75 in the left lane and for some reason have not already moved over due to traffic, if you are rolling 77 I will move over. Same goes for if I was going 90, 100, whatever. I assume all know the speed limit and if they want to break it worse than I am, who am I to stop them? Now, if I feel like their speed is dangerous for conditions, I might think to myself that they are an idiot, but block them? Nope.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
read the guy's comment again. He said that he does NOT understand why people move over.
but then he says that the guy blames it on "lazyness" and not wanting to look back in the rear view mirror. so it seems to me that he understands it better than he thinks he does.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:22 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Drive down south and people drive like animals; however, if you go to a state like Vermont or Main, you'll find that people don't drive like idiots for the most part.

Obviously, you don't realize that we drive faster because we have a lot more miles to cover "down south" than do people in the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive