Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times

Advertisements

Cameras should be an optional item, not one that's mandated by government. We all make driving mistakes, although some drivers are worst than most. Regardless, some things you can do if you are worried about running over a kid or something when you back out of your driveway are as follows:

a. Get out of your car and look behind it before you back up
b. Back your car into the garage, but before you do that, look behind your car (it takes very little effort, so don't expect to lose weight from stepping out of the car to look)
c. Never rely or the camera to save you from running over a kid or a dog (use the mirrors, too, and exercise your neck a little by turning your face to the sides to look. You neck won't break). The camera is just another dumb gadget that sooner or later will make you over-confident of your backing abilities, and that's about the time that you hurt someone or something

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-03-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
When people start falling off toilets and hurting someone else who just happened to be nearby, then maybe this analogy will apply.
Oh, so the government only needs to step in if you injure someone else, not yourself. Gotcha. This makes a lot of sense.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:56 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Oh, so the government only needs to step in if you injure someone else, not yourself. Gotcha. This makes a lot of sense.
I'm all for letting people experience the consequences of their own stupidity, as long as they don't hurt another party in the process.

You have a problem with this?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
We might as well prepare for doomsday because it might happen as well.
Backing into something is far more likely. Understand?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I'm all for letting people experience the consequences of their own stupidity, as long as they don't hurt another party in the process.

You have a problem with this?
Yes, I do. You couldn't tell?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Sure, you have. The problem is you can only identify it when someone else is using the same argument.
You argue by assertion. Actually you don't argue at all, you just contradict, like in the Monty Python skit. I must take the advice of several who've PMed me and dismiss you as a mere provocateur.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You argue by assertion. Actually you don't argue at all, you just contradict, like in the Monty Python skit. I must take the advice of several who've PMed me and dismiss you as a mere provocateur.
Wow, so I contradict by assertion? That's great. Too bad that doesn't change the fact that your arguments don't make any sense.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,546 times
Quote:
Yes, I do. You couldn't tell?
So you're OK with someone injuring or killing another person or destroying someone else's property by their negligence as long as it doesn't inconvenience you. Gotcha.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
So you're OK with someone injuring or killing another person or destroying someone else's property by their negligence as long as it doesn't inconvenience you. Gotcha.
I am? That's odd. You mean the only way to express disapproval of that is with a government regulation? You sure are smart! (By the way, I don't really mean that. I'm just kidding.)

Old 04-03-2014, 09:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Let's face it. Most drivers are mediocre at best. No turn signals, drift all over their lanes, yakking on the cell phones, innattentive to traffic, yada, yada, yada. A lot of people avoid backing up whenever they can. Our drivers education in this country is minimal. Other countries have much more rigorous training and standards for licensing.
So all these safety items in cars today protect us all. Traction control, stability control, airbags, anti-lock brakes, collision avoidance, and even the back up camera are there to make up for driver skill. Some are just really great features. Modern cars are much safer and last longer than cars of the past. So I like the new features, especially if it alarms to tell that yahoo in the next lane texting that he's wandering into mine.
OMG yes. A few weeks ago I'm driving on the freeway, fast lane, and the car in front of me keeps starting to drift left and right. I start honking, hoping the person will wake up and pay attention. Finally I back off and leave a huge gap, he ends up drifting to the right, almost hitting a truck, then sliding all the way across traffic as he loses control. Scared the CRAP out of me. Miraculously nobody was hit and I ended up seeing him continue driving! Not even pulling over to the side of the road, just kept going...

*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive