Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think it will be pretty easy to cover the lens with a piece of tape.

Then, if you are ever unlucky enough to injure someone while backing up, have fun explaining your actions.
Nothing says you have to use it, it looks like they only have to be sold with them. He would not have to explain anything.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Nothing says you have to use it, it looks like they only have to be sold with them. He would not have to explain anything.
He's just telling you where he's going with it. At some point, the cameras start being used as evidence. He just didn't want to tell you that right now. That's how it always works with government types.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:00 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,042,534 times
Another example of government interference.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
He's just telling you where he's going with it. At some point, the cameras start being used as evidence. He just didn't want to tell you that right now. That's how it always works with government types.
You might be surprised to learn that NHTSA has never consulted me about what safety features should be installed in cars or what shou be done with them.

On the other hand, as a lawyer I know that if litigation followed a car crash and I could prove that the driver wilfully disabled a safety feature that might have prevented that crash, thereby causing the death of a child, you can bet that that's going to be part of the case.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Only a child would go around...blah blah blah
I thought you were done with me? Or, is it that you just can't get enough of that massively government funded project known as the Internet?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You might be surprised to learn that NHTSA has never consulted me about what safety features should be installed in cars or what shou be done with them.

On the other hand, as a lawyer I know that if litigation followed a car crash and I could prove that the driver wilfully disabled a safety feature that might have prevented that crash, thereby causing the death of a child, you can bet that that's going to be part of the case.
Oh, this explains everything. This guy is a lawyer, so his job revolves around making ridiculous arguments that have no real bearing in actual life but are predicated on theoretical blame.

That's why he's sitting around saying "why, I have never seen a car crash before, so I guess that has never occurred, either." Arguments like that are awesome ...in court. In real life, people ask where your parents are.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
To think that back in the day my parents allowed me to buy some old early 60's car that featured roll up windows, drum brakes, a swing axle transmission, manual transmission, one side mirror and no seat belts.
^^ Unwittingly makes an argument for NHTSA regulations

Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
^^ Unwittingly makes an argument for NHTSA regulations
No, he didn't. You just think he did. In fact, if you didn't wear your seatbelt all of today, the odds that you would die as a result would be what? Go ahead, tell us.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
No, he didn't. You just think he did. In fact, if you didn't wear your seatbelt all of today, the odds that you would die as a result would be what? Go ahead, tell us.
Sure he did. That is, unless you think that this whole "seatbelts saving lives" thing is just another government conspiracy to keep you bound to you vehicle's interior.

Odds of dying in a vehicle accident on any given day - 1:6500
Odds of dying in a vehicle accident over a lifetime - 1:67

Odds of getting into an accident on any given day - 1:84 ~1.2%

Odds of dying in an accident while wearing a seatbelt - 1:282
Odds of dying in an accident while not wearing a seatbelt - 1:6

That's right, you are 47x more likely to die in an accident if you are not wearing a seatbelt.

Odds of dying in a vehicle accident on any given day while wearing a seatbelt - 1:23500
Odds of dying in a vehicle accident on any given day while not wearing a seatbelt - 1:500

And, of course, this does not account for severe injury for which the ratio compounds that by about 25:1 (no seatbelt:seatbelt).

Basically, there is a 1:3 chance that if you do get into an accident and are not wearing a seatbelt, you will be seriously hurt or killed. It's simple physics, really. It's also a prime example of Newton's 1st Law (aka - the law of inertia). If you are unrestrained, the kinetic energy of your deceleration in such an instance will be absorbed by a steering wheel, windshield, dashboard, pavement, etc. instead of the restraint. However, if you feel this law does not apply to your own self, do what you feel is right for you. Conversely, please refrain from diminishing the significance of this safety device for everyone else because you would be dead wrong.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Sure he did. That is, unless you think that this whole "seatbelts saving lives" thing is just another government conspiracy to keep you bound to you vehicle's interior.

Odds of dying in a vehicle accident on any given day - 1:6500
Odds of dying in a vehicle accident over a lifetime - 1:67

Odds of getting into an accident on any given day - 1:84 ~1.2%

Odds of dying in an accident while wearing a seatbelt - 1:282
Odds of dying in an accident while not wearing a seatbelt - 1:6

That's right, you are 47x more likely to die in an accident if you are not wearing a seatbelt.

Odds of dying in a vehicle accident on any given day while wearing a seatbelt - 1:23500
Odds of dying in a vehicle accident on any given day while not wearing a seatbelt - 1:500

And, of course, this does not account for severe injury for which the ratio compounds that by about 25:1 (no seatbelt:seatbelt).

Basically, there is a 1:3 chance that if you do get into an accident and are not wearing a seatbelt, you will be seriously hurt or killed. It's simple physics, really. It's also a prime example of Newton's 1st Law (aka - the law of inertia). If you are unrestrained, the kinetic energy of your deceleration in such an instance will be absorbed by a steering wheel, windshield, dashboard, pavement, etc. instead of the restraint. However, if you feel this law does not apply to your own self, do what you feel is right for you. Conversely, please refrain from diminishing the significance of this safety device for everyone else because you would be dead wrong.
Wow, those are great statistics, but you don't even know what you're writing about. I didn't ask you "what are the odds of you dying if you get into an accident." I asked you "what are the odds of you dying?" You really don't get it.

Guess what? The odds are PRETTY LOW. Because you don't get into an accident often. Correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive