Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 PM

709 posts, read 657,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
What's "under her skirt", a phallus?
Yeah. A giant one, that f***s all of us on a daily basis.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,220 times
Our society has got really addicted to this idea of guaranteed safety and guaranteed outcomes. It's an impossible unicorn to catch, and it's infringing on other liberties for the sake of a marginal gain that is much less than the opportunity cost incurred. You can't save everybody all the time. People should be allowed to fail. It's part of life. Living (which is different than merely existing) involves risk. This in no way implies willful disregard for the value of life and of the role of the golden rule in the context of human fellowship. I mean, is there no sensibility left in this Country that doesn't devolve in ultimatums and slippery slopes?

It's funny how if one were to suggest the outlawing of ALL physical activity (the ultimate safety assurance) people would consider it hyperbole, yet this is the very attitude from which these initiatives stem from, but people don't bat an eye at them. Nah, what I see there is quite the relative morality indeed. No thanks. I may get hurt by my absolute morality, but at least I can coexist with it.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Idiot drivers. Why not enforce driver training? In Japan the drivers are trained professionals and it costs a couple thousand to get your license. You're a student driver for a year. Lose your license for being stupid and it's a long expensive process to regain it. Driving is not a right. Maybe the gov't should require us to hire professional drivers for our cars. Bubble wrap is another option.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
DO NOT go around calling other posters names such as "wing nut" which was a comment from one of your previous posts.
Hey, you is what you is and I call 'em as I see 'em. Wear it like a badge of honor. You've obviously earned it.

Quote:
You just keep sucking up to your government, and I'll just keep surviving without them. I'm done with ya.
As you drive your safe, regulated vehicle down a USDOT/IDOT provided and maintained road. Toodles.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Idiot drivers. Why not enforce driver training? In Japan the drivers are trained professionals and it costs a couple thousand to get your license. You're a student driver for a year. Lose your license for being stupid and it's a long expensive process to regain it. Driving is not a right. Maybe the gov't should require us to hire professional drivers for our cars. Bubble wrap is another option.
Something tells me that the 'theorists' will opt for the camera.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:03 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Our society has got really addicted to this idea of guaranteed safety and guaranteed outcomes. It's an impossible unicorn to catch, and it's infringing on other liberties for the sake of a marginal gain that is much less than the opportunity cost incurred.
Having a camera on your car infringes on your liberties? How? It's not like a seatbelt or some other safety device where its use is going to be enforced.

Quote:
You can't save everybody all the time.
No, but you can greatly reduce the number lost. By your logic, DUIs should be legal

Quote:
People should be allowed to fail. It's part of life. Living (which is different than merely existing) involves risk.
Remember the scenario this is mostly trying to help avoid, which is accidentally backing into (or over) someone/something the driver cannot otherwise see, for whatever reason (bad car design, limited driver mobility, etc). The driver isn't the one who is going to 'fail' (suffer) in this situation. If this was a 'motorcyclists have to wear helmets' kind of thing where not following the rule only means the driver would suffer from his/her choices, OK, I get you. But that isn't the case here.

Mike

Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Driver training = X-ray vision?

Mike

Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
Well we will see how well that works when the new cars don't sell and they flood the market ....yep I have not had a new car in years and don't plan on ever buying a new car again in my life time to me it is not worth the price or the hassle of dealing with a car salesman .

Old 04-02-2014, 08:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
My car (Prius) has one and I never use it.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
- 15 million new cars sold (aprox).
- $140 for each camera.
- this equals $2,100,000,000 for this requirement.

The CNN article states "between 59 to 69 deaths will be prevented each year" with this camera. This equals $30.4 million per person; worth it?

Change this cost to other areas; the environment, hospitals, etc. Seems a death caused by someone backing up is worth more than deaths caused in other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.