Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times

Advertisements

To think that back in the day my parents allowed me to buy some old early 60's car that featured roll up windows, drum brakes, a swing axle transmission, manual transmission, one side mirror and no seat belts.

Somehow I never killed myself or backed over anybody.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
I know someone who accidentally killed a child by backing up and not seeing the child. It was a terrible tragedy

I am so careful backing up, I look and look and look, and even when I get in my car at home I check around to see if any kids are in the area because I'm THAT paranoid.

IDK if a back up camera is the answer but I sure as heck can't wait for a self-driving car! How nice would it be to just relax in your car on the way to work or home. Or put your makeup on in the car, etc.

Yes I'd buy a car that drives itself in a heart beat! I want a car like the ones in Minority Report

If it only raises the cost by $100, sure, why not get the backup camera, no matter what it will save lives so it's worth it to me.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:53 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
To think that back in the day my parents allowed me to buy some old early 60's car that featured roll up windows, drum brakes, a swing axle transmission, manual transmission, one side mirror and no seat belts.

Somehow I never killed myself or backed over anybody.
Give yourself a big pat on the back.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:32 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,344 times
Let's face it. Most drivers are mediocre at best. No turn signals, drift all over their lanes, yakking on the cell phones, innattentive to traffic, yada, yada, yada. A lot of people avoid backing up whenever they can. Our drivers education in this country is minimal. Other countries have much more rigorous training and standards for licensing.
So all these safety items in cars today protect us all. Traction control, stability control, airbags, anti-lock brakes, collision avoidance, and even the back up camera are there to make up for driver skill. Some are just really great features. Modern cars are much safer and last longer than cars of the past. So I like the new features, especially if it alarms to tell that yahoo in the next lane texting that he's wandering into mine.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:27 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Give yourself a big pat on the back.
His point wasn't to brag about it, but rather to point out that, somehow, over 99% of people who don't use backup cameras have never hit anyone with their cars. I'm hoping you actually knew that and decided to pretend you didn't, or else that's sort of sad.

The whole point of this thread is that there are some people on here who are so desperate for safety that they love and even demand government intervention and regulations for everything. We have "lane assist warnings" in some cars and, probably, if the government mandated those, the same people on here would immediately give their approval. Then they would argue something like "who among us haven't drifted from our lanes? If it can save ONE LIFE, then I'm all for it!!" Wow, OK. Then, like I said, we need a lot of rules for toilets and pools and mattresses and chairs and pretty much anything else in this world, including gallon containers of bottled water.

When people talk about a "nanny state," there's a reason. Some people are kids and want their nanny and other people don't. The problem is only one side affects the other. If I get my way, there's no mandate. But don't worry, if you like it so much, then you can buy a car with a camera. "But you could kill someone without one!!" Yeah ...but I won't. Statistically speaking, you'd have a better chance of a random tree limb falling and killing you than being killed by a car backing up. So if you want to make sense, then we'd better cut down all the trees in the world. Otherwise, you're just being a lunatic.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
No reason for the government to mandate this.I know plenty of people that rely on their backup cameras and most of them cannot park worth a crap when they use it. I used to work in the insurance industry and you'd be surprised how many people rely on it and end up swinging the front and into another car or a house or a pole.
Yeah, but they couldn't park before backup cameras, either.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
We have never had mandatory BU cameras before and and in the whole history of driving, I have never known anyone personalty to back up over a kid or a dog or a human.
I've never known anyone personally who was killed in a car crash of any kind, so I conclude from that that it's never happened.

I do know someone who killed his daughter while backing up and it ruined his life. I'm pretty sure he would pay $140.00 not to have had that happen.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I've never known anyone personally who was killed in a car crash of any kind, so I conclude from that that it's never happened.
You probably think that was a clever argument, but all you said there was that you believe that car crashes of any kind occur with equal frequency to deaths from backing up cars and you treat them the same. Which really isn't something to brag about. I mean, people try to make "smart" arguments and all they do is look really bad. If you can't accept the fact that people VERY INFREQUENTLY are injured or killed by cars backing up, then just say that you don't. Don't try to be some clever dude who ends up falling on their face.

Quote:
I do know someone who killed his daughter while backing up and it ruined his life. I'm pretty sure he would pay $140.00 not to have had that happen.
Good, so how would not having a government mandate prevent him from paying the $140? Or are you saying he WOULD pay the money, but he somehow couldn't figure out how to without the government stepping in and making the decision for him?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
The first thing I would do is disable it just like I did with daytime running lights and security system.
Does anyone know if these will be as easy to disable as other devices??
I think it will be pretty easy to cover the lens with a piece of tape.

Then, if you are ever unlucky enough to injure someone while backing up, have fun explaining your actions.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Then, if you are ever unlucky enough to injure someone while backing up, have fun explaining your actions.
We should all think like this. Based on this logic, we should install government cameras in our homes and, if you want, you can cover them ...but if anything ever happens in that house, have fun explaining your actions.

Don't you love the government and its supporters? They're so good at veiled threats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive