Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,584,511 times

Advertisements

8 or 9. I don't just watch my driving, but I am watching everyone else all the time.

Have not been surprised by sudden anything for a looooong time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,514,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
It's weird, we're all so good but everyone else is so bad!

( )

Exactly! After teaching racing and performance driving, including military and LEO for quite awhile I would safely say that for all the men you can minus 5 off their self assessed score and 4 off of the womens'.

theres two things you cant tell a guy he doesnt naturally do well... and driving is one of them..

Old 06-12-2014, 08:30 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,279,655 times
I think my strong point is attentiveness. I don't let myself be distracted, I never listen to the radio when driving, I don't eat when driving. I never use cruise control, I regulate my own speed, I have no problem holding it constant with my foot, I use my ears to hold speed listening to the sound of the car. I look around, I pay attention, I stay aware, I look way ahead as far as I can see, I watch my mirrors. I drive patiently, I make way for other drivers, I watch for people who look like they don't know where they're going or what they are doing and prepare to allow for them.

Whatever other skills I have or don't have, I think just teaching myself to be attentive makes up for a lot. I've driven a lot in ice and snow, really a lot, but I don't consider myself above average in responsiveness to bad conditions. I've never driven professionally, and never had a driving lesson in my life, so there are probably some things I don't know, But when I learn something new, I only have to be told once, and I understand the principles of Newtonian physics..

I never drive more than 5 over, usually because I drive old cars that I don trust at high speeds

Overall probably in the 7-9 range, although a lot of passengers have told me I'm better than that.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM

22,028 posts, read 25,388,768 times
Decent.

I drive safely. I'm not actually that good at it, just your basic hamfist who used to do the occasional autocross and open track days but certainly was never competitive. It's not rocket science and being a "safe" driver on the street really is completely different than being a fast driver on the track. I'm much better at the former than the latter.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:43 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,344,775 times
Like a couple people on this forum, I've been professionally trained and have driven competitively on the track for years, with trophies to show for it. I think driving as a skillset includes a LOT more than just not getting into accidents and not getting tickets. Many people that think they are good drivers are actually at the limits of their skill even driving the speed limit. If you've never put your skills to the test then you really don't know. Oooh, you avoided an accident once or twice, and rarely went over the speed limit, bully for you. It makes you insurable, but not necessarily a good, skilled driver.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 PM

22,028 posts, read 25,388,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Like a couple people on this forum, I've been professionally trained and have driven competitively on the track for years, with trophies to show for it. I think driving as a skillset includes a LOT more than just not getting into accidents and not getting tickets. Many people that think they are good drivers are actually at the limits of their skill even driving the speed limit. If you've never put your skills to the test then you really don't know. Oooh, you avoided an accident once or twice, and rarely went over the speed limit, bully for you. It makes you insurable, but not necessarily a good, skilled driver.
They don't really have much to do with one another. Especially if you go back in the day, a lot of professional drivers had terrible driving records, frequent DUIs, reckless driving tickets, accidents. That's less common nowadays as it's all about PR and image.

You did have Bakkerud who killed himself recently though. I mean, obviously a better driver than anyone on this forum as far as driving skill, but a terrible driver who didn't drive recklessly on the street would actually be safer than Bakkerud despite having far less driving skill simply by virtue of not driving recklessly.

It really depends what you're talking about.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,514,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
They don't really have much to do with one another. Especially if you go back in the day, a lot of professional drivers had terrible driving records, frequent DUIs, reckless driving tickets, accidents. That's less common nowadays as it's all about PR and image.

You did have Bakkerud who killed himself recently though. I mean, obviously a better driver than anyone on this forum as far as driving skill, but a terrible driver who didn't drive recklessly on the street would actually be safer than Bakkerud despite having far less driving skill simply by virtue of not driving recklessly.

It really depends what you're talking about.
Yes, and the above group of drivers would prob fit the category of KNOWING how to be perfectly safe drivers, but for typical human behavioral reasons/issues CHOSE not to. As commonly heard in classes, "you cant teach judgement"..... not matter how hard you may try..

Old 06-13-2014, 04:35 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,065,199 times
Been driving since 70's, no tix and no at fault accidents. But i also know a perfect record doesn't mean i'm a perfect driver, just means i get good insurance coverage even if the car is a toy.
Made enough mistakes in my youth, still speed once in awhile, and find there are times i could have done something better.
So i'd say 5-7 on an average day, and 7-9 on a good day (more often then not).

The sound of knocking on wood is quite loud on my desk right now.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:59 AM

62 posts, read 80,625 times
When I first started driving, 8. Now, it's a 6. I use turn signals, don't speed, let people in, steady throttle in the snow, but it just isn't enough around here.

Once, a guy threatened me after I supposedly cut him off (I was just trying to make a turn; I used my signal), and I almost got into a head-on when a tractor trailer ran a red light. So, my attentiveness is way up, but my confidence is shot.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:00 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,518,741 times
Not having an accident in 40 years and just a couple of parking tickets in that same time must mean i'm doing something right. i'd rate myself 6.5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive