Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 05:33 PM

265 posts, read 402,141 times

Advertisements

I see this all the time. It's pretty sad. It only shows that these people are full of themselves and think they own the road. These are the same people who drive side by side at the same speed, effectively creating a wall of cars that no one can pass, which is not only an assholish thing to do but it is dangerous. Where I live, I frequently see police pull over people for driving too slow in the left lane, which makes me super happy every time. Most of these highway bullies don't know that it is actually illegal to cause a traffic jam by driving slow in the left lane... and YES, driving the speed limit when the flow of traffic is going about 10mph faster than that is in fact considered driving too slow.

Here's a fun example of a cop demonstrating to someone to gtfo of the left lane:

http://youtu.be/J-goW15AwzM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
No idea. People are stupid. Maybe they need a hobby. I like to think that territorial drivers are just enjoying the only freedom that they have in their lives where they have the ability to control someone else, even if just for a minute.

I mind my own business on the road, but some people really like to interfere with other peoples' headway, even when it doesn't impact them in the slightest. Even on the interstate, people do this type of thing. Someone is going--no joke--60 in a 75. You approach from behind, move lanes well before getting close to them, and they gradually speed up to keep pace with you. In order to break free, you have to rocket up to 90 to shake them loose, then when you move back into the right lane in front of them, they drop back to 45 and their car disappears in the rear view mirror, never to be seen again.

Another one I don't get is people who cruise in the left lane at a slower speed than other traffic. You pass them (on the right because they're clueless dip****s) then eventually you have to move into the left lane to pass other traffic traveling in the right lane correctly. All of a sudden, the person you passed flies out of nowhere and polishes your bumper until you move back to the right lane. But when you move to the right lane, they drop back again and don't even pass you, collecting another line of ticked off people behind them.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:14 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,095 times
I rep every speeder on this thread. I deal with this crap every day.

After reading all these posts. I thought we all live in the same city.

I don't under stand the left lane linger. Talking on the phone... Or just plain clueless. Driving in the blind spot of a semi.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:16 PM

807 posts, read 897,685 times
I see a good number of those hyper-competitive drivers. But sometimes, I think the driver in question simply has poor road awareness and don't realize that they are cruising slower than they think they are. When you make your move to pass, they are suddenly reminded to check their speed and then they pick it up right then.

Either way, they're not drivers that I want to be around so I'll pick up speed and try to put some distance between us before slowing back to a good cruising speed.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:18 PM

6,386 posts, read 6,271,884 times
I was driving home on the highway in RI at ~1:00AM a few yrs ago. No one else on road. I was in the passing lane yet only doing the speed limit because, again, no one else on road and my exit would eventually be on the left.

Some winner in a truck flies up behind me and continues to very aggressively beep on and off for me to move to the other lane. Then come the on and off high beams. Since there was NO one else on the road and s/he was being an arse, i did not want to reward this behavior.

Instead of passing, s/he keeps beeping for a good 20minutes until s/he got off the road. The way s/he sped up to me and was honking, I'm sure s/he was not worried about "rules of the road" for why s/he refused to pass in the traveling lane.

My history working in behavioral analysis would not let this person bully me into submission. But when i think about it now, s/he was probably drunk, high, and/or psycho and it was risky not letting this winner pass.

I typically stay in the traveling lane and MMOB!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:42 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
There's a mountain I drive over in order to get to work. I put the cruise control on to maintain speed. Bunch of people just slow down to 40 going up while the limit is 55. So we have a bunch of people jamming on their brakes because some people don't want to do the limit. This isn't the only way to the other side of town and if you're scared of the mountain, go the other way.

Few years ago, I was driving my Z06 back home, I was in Louisiana and there was a VW Beetle that was going really slow. We were on winding roads with a few straightaways. I finally got the opportunity to pass him, he gets up on my rear but by the time we hit the winding roads again, his brains outgrew his ego and he slowed way down instead of flying off the road.

There seems to be very little courtesy on the road these days. Everyone thinks they're a skilled driver. Now I've driven nearly a million miles and literally driven across the country with zero accidents and zero moving violations. I think my driving record speaks for itself.

As a whole, I think our drivers here are too distracted and licenses are too easy to get and punishments for driving without a license/insurance/registration are too lenient.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:28 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I had this happen to me last month. They tried to block me out but I went anyways. It was reckless and dangerous of both of us. I won't do what I did again. I have no idea why anyone would do that to me or to the OP. I can't figure out their logic.
This post resonates with me..... because in the incident last week, when he starting speeding up to catch me, I sped up too. I knew that traffic was going to merge in my lane further down the road, and I wanted to be ahead of him (only because I was already going my preferred speed, which had nothing to do with him, except he was now right next to me).

I hated the fact that I engaged with him, but I was pissed off that he engaged with me in the first place when I did NOTHING to him except drive faster than him in a parallel lane.

For the rest of my commute, I purposely stayed away from him because based on his behavior of speeding up to match me, accelerating to block me, and then slowing down when I was behind him, I began to feel that he was an unstable person. I was concerned that if I got near him again, he would do something crazy like brake check me.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I know these people, and I group them with those that:
- speed up when you try to pass
- speed up when you turn on your blinker to merge, when there is plenty of room
- honk as you pass them, even if you are in a second lane
- get mad if you merge into their lane too soon/fast
- don't keep a constant speed on the highway
- loaf in the passing lane
- pass you then slow down
- "attach" to you when you go by, matching your speed and "following" you

In other words, bad drivers, who don't look at driving as a social activity but instead think they own the road, and are paying little attention to what they are doing as the hurtle through space.
I don't agree with your last statement here-- in this case, this man was paying WAY TOO MUCH attention to what I was doing.

There are oblivious drivers for sure... but then there are the nutjobs who seem to take things too personally and then prolong the interaction beyond the initial incident where they felt they were cut off, etc.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:34 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I know these people, and I group them with those that:
- speed up when you try to pass
- speed up when you turn on your blinker to merge, when there is plenty of room
- honk as you pass them, even if you are in a second lane
- get mad if you merge into their lane too soon/fast
- don't keep a constant speed on the highway
- loaf in the passing lane
- pass you then slow down
- "attach" to you when you go by, matching your speed and "following" you

In other words, bad drivers, who don't look at driving as a social activity but instead think they own the road, and are paying little attention to what they are doing as the hurtle through space.
Driving is not a social activity. I do what I want. And if I feel like you think I am going too slow (which I am not), I will put you in your place. Chances are you'll never recognize my face again, so I don't give a ****.

....Not serious, I am a courteous and safe driver.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I think they're hyper competitive when behind the wheel. You passing them seems to be a personal challenge to them. To pass people like that is as if you took something from them or challenged their manhood.
This is what seemed to happen to me last week. Why this guy cared that I was driving faster than him I cannot even understand. FWIW he was a white male who appeared to be in his 50's and I was surprised when I finally got a good look at him. I expected him to be a younger male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive