Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times

Advertisements

Tell that to the troopers stationed in Austin and Walker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 05:46 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Tell that to the troopers stationed in Austin and Walker.
I'll let the judge do that when he throws out the tickets.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
It's instinctual to get upset/offended or slightly perturbed about being passed but most seasoned drivers grow out of reacting emotionally to that crap. I now have a relatively slow but fun to drive vehicle (a Jeep) and have the accompanying mindset; if someone wants to go faster than me they are welcome to, and I certainly won't purposefully get in their way or slow them down on their travels.

If someone passes me and then gets in my lane and makes me slow down, I just don't worry about it as it happens so rarely it is hardly the norm. I do a ton of road trips across the US and the only places I have any issue with aggressive drivers are around the big cities... there's always folks who really feel the need to weave in an out of traffic speeding up upon others and then shooting for openings that barely exist. I think those folks have a serious lack of judgement and endanger others. Fortunately, I think those are also the folks who get the most tickets and pay the highest insurance premiums.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,064 times
Nothing more than anger issues. I see this all the time, especially driving in the area of ghetto Jersey city ( I have no choice, I have to go through there to get to Bayonne). About a month ago I was driving on 440 South bound and merged onto the right lane to take my exit ramp, some idiot apparently felt "insulted" that I had gotten in front of him as if a prize of a trillion dollars was waiting for him at the first light/finish line after exit ramp (not the case), and to be honest, I don't even think he was going to remain in the lane I had gotten onto- who the heck knows. But at any rate, he had the friking nerve to go around me, on the shoulder and rammed my car, and yes my car almost spun, and yes I have a dent. I am just thankful no one was in the passenger seat or in the back. He tried to leave the scene, which stupid me tried to block him so I could get a plate number, but me, a "stupid" safe driver had my cell phone in my purse. I was so in shock when I heard the dude speed up and suddenly just hit me. It happened so fast that I didn't know how to react, no one helped and apparently no one else called the cops, which by the way didn't arrive until like 30 minutes later because I was in the border of Bayonne and jersey city. Oh, and get this... HE DID leave the scene. SOB.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,064 times
You are right on! Emotional driving is dangerous. Can we all just please share the road, SAFELY!!

Old 06-25-2015, 02:35 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I'm wondering how often other people encounter this scenario - you pass someone (not illegally), and then they seem to get mad about it.

I was driving on a 4-lane highway last week and there were two cars ahead of me in the left lane who were going slightly above the speed limit (60 mph). The right lane was wide open. I wanted to go a bit faster (65-67ish) and so I got into the right lane and proceeded to move past them. And after I passed them, I just stayed in the right lane.

Next thing I know, the first car starts speeding up to catch up with me.

Up ahead, traffic was going to be merging into my lane, and when we got down there, he sped up even more to prevent me from going in front of him. I was then forced to get behind him.

He then proceeded to slow down, yet when I had another opportunity to go around him (by getting in the right lane), he sped up again to block me.

It quickly began to feel like this person was purposely playing games with me, when I had done nothing to him except to drive faster than him.

I do not understand this behavior!!!! What is the point?
I had this lady wanting to pass me the other day, but here's the scenario: I'm in the middle lane (three lane highway), and I'm going 80mph (the limit was like 65 so yes, I'm speeding.) She's in the left lane about two car lengths behind me. I'm about a car length and a half behind the car in front of me. Anyways, she speeds up to about 90 wanting to get in front of me so that she could get over into the right lane. Meanwhile, there is absolutely nobody behind me. She could have easily gotten over into the right lane much faster if she had just merged over instead of wanting to get in front of me. Instead, she speeds up and turns on her blinker expecting me to slow down to let her in the lane. I don't get this?

Old 06-25-2015, 06:20 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I had this lady wanting to pass me the other day, but here's the scenario: I'm in the middle lane (three lane highway), and I'm going 80mph (the limit was like 65 so yes, I'm speeding.) She's in the left lane about two car lengths behind me. I'm about a car length and a half behind the car in front of me. Anyways, she speeds up to about 90 wanting to get in front of me so that she could get over into the right lane. Meanwhile, there is absolutely nobody behind me. She could have easily gotten over into the right lane much faster if she had just merged over instead of wanting to get in front of me. Instead, she speeds up and turns on her blinker expecting me to slow down to let her in the lane. I don't get this?
That's another thing I hate. I wish I knew why people do that. They're not getting where they're going any faster by doing that. Of course, I tend to not let them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive